Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One Good-Looking Horse

cinemafan

"The Violent Men" is on right now, and as much as I like Glenn Ford, I can't take my eyes off his horse. It is a light brown with a white face, a blond mane and tail, which reaches to the ground. Sorry, I can't upload a picture of it. Any horse stories out there? (besides Trigger-no offense))

I haven't seen The Violent Men, but I'm a gonna look out for it in upcoming listings. I like Glenn ford and I love horses. So I often find myself noticing some of the horses in westerns. Like the one John Wayne rode in El Dorado. A beautiful animal mainly white and nearly covered with black and brown splotches or patches of various sizes. An Apaloosa? A great looking horse.

There was a very unusual and beautiful horse that was used in a few of Gary Cooper's films from the 20s. Sometimes it was his horse and sometimes it would be another character's ride. Here's a pic.

hgfhgj.bmp.jpg

You can't tell from this one but the horse had blue eyes and they really stood out mixed in with the white and dark face. I think I have some better pics of it on my computer and home and post some more later for the horse lovers out there.

• 2 weeks later...

This Appolosa horse from ElDorado was picked up by Hawks and had very bad temper. Duke didn't like it and rode it only in this one movie. In his later years he rode horse named Dollor, you can recognise this red one in his later movies. From his horses my favorite is Banner - you can see it in Angel and Badman, Gio Grande etc.

Coop rode this horse in Nevada, Only the Brave. Speaking for myself I don't like horses with so big white spots and blue eyes. It isn't natural. It's my opinion, I never choose such horse for myself. But some people like it. There is breed in Russia, oriental one named Achal-Teke, there sometimes born in it horses with light colored scen between yellow and pink and with blue eyes. My friends, who bred this horses have this year two such foals. But in ancient times such foals was destroyed, because they thought they are not proper.

Hi Senta! You sure know your horseflesh! I've always thought horses with blue eyes rather unsettling myself. Was it "Dollar" I saw playing "Beau", Duke's tall horse in True Grit?

I also like Jimmy Stewart's favorite mount, "Pie". Henry Fonda painted a picture of him for Jimmy (below).

reallyold.jpg

Of course I know about horses a little - I have a horse myself, it is a mare named Bible.

Henry Fonda painted such good pictures - wow!

I think Dollor became main Duke horse after True Grit, but I remember somebody told me that Dollor appered at True Grit too - rather young he was then. There is a special thread about Duke horses at Message Board at dukewayne.com

• 3 weeks later...

When I was a young boy, over 45 years ago, I got to see the Lone Ranger and Silver. Silver was so pure white without any spots or splotches whatsoever. Like fresh fallen snow on a sunny Michigan winter morning. Since then, I have seen many white horses but I do not think any has been as pure white or even close to Silver--the Lone Ranger's horse.

What a beautiful animal he was.

(PS--I know they used 2 different animals in the series and I do not know which one of the 2 I got to see.)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings