? Interactive pressbook

? Theatrical trailer

DANGEROUS CROSSING

? Audio commentary by film historian, Aubrey Solomon

? Peril at Sea: Charting a Dangerous Crossing

? Poster, still, and behind the scenes galleries

? Interactive pressbook

? Theatrical trailer

None of these are strictly noir. Black Widow is interesting for Ginger Rogers' over the top performance (can you spell CAMP?), and Gene Tierney is subdued by comparison. She looks beautiful in (Techni- Deluxe-?) color, however. Van Heflin is more annoying than usual, and Peggy Ann Garner was still an awkward ingenue. More a regular whodunit than out and out noir.

Daisy Kenyon is more a woman's picture, what with Joan Crawford having two men after her, like a throwback to her mid 30s MGM vehicles (she's just that much older and less pretty). I guess Preminger's rep and the period of release have it lumped as noir.

Dangerous Crossing has a very good Jeanne Crain performance, as she is (made to believe she is)losing her mind while on a transatlantic crossing. But it is not quite full-blown noir either.

Well, I'll get them, in hopes Fox follows up with more...13th Letter, Night Without Sleep, please?

I guess Preminger's rep and the period of release have it lumped as noir.

Although the new Preminger book states that the film was darkly lit to hide Crawford's wrinkles, so this lighting by default might be another reason for its categorization as noir.

What's up, Filmme Fatale -- I don't care whether or not they call it noir, I'm just happy it's coming out on DVD!

I think Fox understands that the words "film noir" helps sell their lesser-known titles. Some of the films they have released under their "noir" banner stretch the definition, but, like you, I don't mind it at all. In fact, I'm grateful for the deception because I've been introduced to some films I probably wouldn't have given a chance just because of the "noir" marketing ploy. I just love the attention Fox has given their "noir" releases in terms of extras.

Hey, DSClassic -- Wasnt Boomerang part of this set ?

It wasn't part of this "set" but I thought it was getting rereleased. I hope Boomerang hasn't been shackled again.

Hi, Miss Wienie -- I like Dana Andrews performance very much, in my opinion he steals the show from Henry Fonda, who plays another wienie variation. :P

I see that someone's tongue needs to taste some soap.

I'm also happy that they're coming out, and intend to buy as many as possible so that they will continue to release these films.

I don't know, but is Boomerang a Criterion release? They feature films by auteurs, so they have expensive dvds of 20th films such as Sturges' Unfaithfully Yours, and the should be part of the Fox Noir series Thieves' Highway, Night and the City (both by Jules Dassin), and Pickup On South Street by Samuel Fuller (these last three should really be rereleased as part of the Fox noir series, and hopefully be quite a bit cheaper pricewise). Maybe the Elia Kazan credit landed Boomerang on Criterion, don't know just musing.

• 4 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings