Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Metropolisforever

Your Favorite TECHNICOLOR Movies (1917 - 1939)

What are your favorite Technicolor movies from 1917 - 1939???

The first Technicolor movie was The Gulf Between (1917).

In the 1930's, Technicolor became very popular. The first three-strip Technicolor movie was Flowers and Trees (1932).

THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD

and

THE FOUR FEATHERS.

PS: Flowers and Trees is an animated short cartoon, not a movie. The first feature-length film in three-strip dye-transfer Technicolor is Rouben Mamoulian's BECKY SHARP (1935).

>PS: Flowers and Trees is an animated short cartoon, not a movie. The first feature-length film in three-strip dye-transfer Technicolor is Rouben Mamoulian's BECKY SHARP (1935).

I already knew that.

I don't know much about technical issues. Was Technicolor not used after the date you mention? Replaced by other systems? I guess I've heard all the fancy names. Never paid much attention. Another point: Somebody told me that, prior to the 1950's, movie screens were shaped differently. A liitle taller, less wide. Something like that. He felt that better served the medium. Allowed the focus to be on people more than scenery. Is this correct?

Of course, I've seen a lot of old movies. But I've seen most of them on TV screens. As long as I can remember, screens have been pretty wide. Ironically, now they're getting smaller. To accomodate more of them. And sell more tickets!

RR

My favorites:

KING OF JAZZ(1930) Paul Whiteman,Bing Crosby

MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM(1932) Lionel Atwill,Glenda Farrell

SWEETHEARTS(1938) Jeanette MacDonald,Nelson Eddy

OVER THE MOON(1939) Merle Oberon,Rex Harrison

THE MIKADO(1939) Kenny Baker, Sydney Grenville

I also like

"THE DANCING PIRATE"(1936) Charles Collins, Steffi Duna

and "THE BOLD CABALLERO"(1936) Robert Livingston, Heather Angel

but I've only encountered black & white prints. I'd love to see them in their original color formats.

To begin with I'm sucker for any Technicolor movie from the time period, I don't know why, but I love the old Technicolor processes and I think it should be brought back. My Personal faves are:

DOCTOR X (1932)

MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM(1933)

ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD (1938) the movie that has the greenest green I've ever seen on film

and I also love whats left of the color in PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1925) personally, I've never been a big fan of the color red, but this movie has the most beautiful color red I've ever seen.

Two color Technicolor favorites are: THE BLACK PIRATE (1926), THE VIKING (1928), REDSKIN (1929), FOLLOW THRU (1930), WHOOPEE (1930), THE KING OF JAZZ (1930) ,THE DEVIL'S CABARET (1930 MGM short), OVER THE COUNTER (1932 MGM short), WILD PEOPLE (1932 MGM short)

Three strip Technicolor favorites: BECKY SHARP (1935), RAMONA (1936),NOTHING SACRED (1937), THE DIVORCE OF LADY X (1938), KENTUCKY (1938), DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK (1939)

I forgot about "Ramona". It's a beauty! I like "The Viking" from the silent era - a solid, entertaining effort. But I've never seen it in color.

I would LOVE to see Ramona some day. As a native Californian, the story is very special to me. Does anyone know if it ever airs anywhere? I don't think it has ever been released on either VHS or DVD.

King of Jazz is also a favorite of mine - even if Rhapsody in Blue plays more as Rhapsody in Turquoise on the video I have of it.

The last time I saw RAMONA, was when it was broadcast was on the old AMC back in the 1990's.

For some reason the Fox Movie Channel has not aired it (to my knowledge).

Dr X hands down however I think the DVD is black & white

Dr Cyclops is a VERY CLOSE 2nd :) ---but then I think Dr Cyclops was in 1940...

Mystery in the Wax Museum is 3rd