Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Damned Dont Cry - Joan Crawford

dsclassic

Saw this just this morning and I LIKED IT a lot...between that movie, Possessed and Mildred Pierce I am contemplating getting the Joan Crawford Collection..

I havent seen Humoresque yet, but the reviews sound good

The Woman according to reviews seemed out of place in the set because its a comedy..

Seemed like every character in the Damned Dont Cry had at least 2 names :)

I love both *The Damned Don't Cry* and *Humoresque* and they, along with *Flamingo Road* are the reasons Joanie's box sets are the next down the line for my collection. The lady made some really entertaining flicks from the early thirties and for the following thirty years. She may not be my favorite actress of them all, but I give her all my respect for that endurance and for what she overcame to make it.

I also look forward to the release of Daisy Kenyon.

I bought the dvd of The Damned Don't Cry. I remember liking it when i saw it about twelve years ago. Miss G., I love Humoresque!! Joan was never more beautiful, especially in the balcony scene. And Flamingo Road is the greatest!! Joan and Sydney Greenstreet are almost spitting nails at each other over their mutual hatred. A fun time for all viewers. Other Crawford movies i really enjoyed and can't wait to watch again are The Women, Strange Cargo, When Ladies Meet, Reunion In France, Mildred Pierce, Harriet Craig, Torch Song, Johnny Guitar, Female On The Beach, Queen Bee, The Best Of Everything, and The Shining Hour. Joan is truly enjoyable when she's playing a really nasty person.

Hee! I don't think Johnnie ever had a leading lady quite as tough as Joan. I get the feeling that WB threw *Humoresque* and *Body and Soul* (another great one) at John to placate him for losing out to Bill Holden on Golden Boy. Odets had practically promised the part for him.

Joan was a babe in Humoresque, but it doesnt make a movie for me. She could be naked, and I still would need to watch it to see if I really liked it enough...

Im my own tough audience :)

I will check out the Women next...if I like it, I will get the box set...if not, I will just get the Damned Dont Cry separately..

• 2 weeks later...

I totally agree---I couldn't stand that haircut!! It wasn't flattering on any woman but especially Joan because it made her look too harsh. If she wanted it on the short side she should have done a modified, softly curled bob like she had in the early 'thirties.

Joan is absolutely gorgeous in every scene of Humoresque. I love that very first scene when she finally enters the picture. She is such a smart-aleck to John Garfield. But those balcony scenes!! Joan is the bomb when they close in on her face. I also thought she was quite beautiful in Reunion In France, Mildred Pierce, Flamingo Road, Queen Bee, and Female On The Beach. I love it when she is nasty and out for blood. Very few actresses did it better.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings