Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Giant Claw

joefilmone

There's a time or two that I can see the 'boom' - which is probably more like a broomstick! - having its shadow fall across the backdrop as our Goofy Monster 'flies'. `

Jeff Morrow had done the comparatively 'great' THIS ISLAND EARTH two years before CLAW, then did THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US and KRONOS before 1957's CLAW. I hope he got his agent to sign the Claw. That would be a fitting 'reward'.

I am making fun of CLAW but, sincerely, I'm glad I bought the entire box-set. This film lets me illustrate that, yes, Virginia, there IS a worst-looking monster, eh, Reptilicus?

scsu, thanks so much for TARGET EARTH with my Richard! I've never seen it (you could just barely tell it was sci-fi from that trailer, lol) And I didn't know lovely Virginia Grey was in it (she gets it in the belly, eh? How awful) Denning and Grey are class acts.

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

TARGET EARTH is another film I haven't seen in about 40 years (I must sound like I'm 90), but I saw it all the time as a kid. It was very entertaining, and clever how the scientists came up with a way to stop the invaders. You don't see an invader until the picture is almost over, as I recall.

I was so glad when TARGET EARTH was released. And i twas so much worse than I remembered, but just as fun. I remembered the hordes of robots but actually, there was only 1. One here. One there. There slow, plodding unstoppable motion, though, gave it a relentlessness that apparently made me remember some unstoppable army.

Just not enough costumes, though! ha ha

It is a fun picture, from start to finish. Reading the notes from the DVD, finding out they'd avoided getting proper permits so they filmed in early morning hours to avoid nosy cops disrupting scenes. But I bet they had some of that anyway.

Re: THE GIANT CLAW, Joe Filmone wrote:

"They had no idea what the monster was going to look like!"

In his massive Keep Watching the Skies!, about science fiction movies of the 1950s, Bill Warren confirms this and relates that Jeff Morrow, who was something of a celebrity in his home town, would often attend the local premiers of his films and afterwards, sign autographs and meet with his fans, etc.

When THE GIANT CLAW came to town, poor Morrow actually slunk out of the theater in the dark while it was still on!

Obviously SCSU's proven that Tarhet Earth's robots are FAR scarier than Ralph and Norton!

ha ha...

Have you seen LOST SKELETON OF CADAVRA? If you haven't, you should at least rent it. It's one of the few Perfect Films I've ever seen - not to be confused with "good", but it sets out to achieve certain goals, and I think it hits them perfectly.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings