Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Knock on Any Door and it's sequel Let No Man Write My Epitaph

maryjmartin

Also with 150,000 movies in the library there is no reason to show the same ones as often as you do.>>

Maryj,

TCM does not own its film library. At one time, they owned the Turner Film Library which included all RKO, all pre-1986 MGM films and pre-1949 Warner Bros films.

However, that library became the property of Time Warner when Ted Turner merged his company into theirs at the turn of the century.

Since then, TCM has to rent every film it shows.

So, consequently, they do not have access to that mythical 150,000 film library. I suspect you might have fallen into that trap that many do when reading the database. Just because a film is in the database does not mean that it is owned by TCM or that TCM even has access to it.

The database here strives to be a comprehensive database of films from all studios and countries.

Kim,

The one good thing to come out of the merger is that the Film Library is now under the care of Warner Brothers where the post-1948 films have been reunited with the pre-1948 WBros films.

Also, since the Film Library is under the care of Warners, they have been able to release them on DVD and in boxed sets. WBros George Feltenstein (among others) seems to understand the importance not only of restoration and preservation but of making the films available to the public.

As for why Ted included the films in the merger, I don't know the answer to that one. But as we have seen, TCM has worked hard the last few years to expand their broadcasting titles beyond the original library titles. TCM broadcasts 24/7. If we stop and think about just how many hours a week or a month (not to say a year) that is, they need access to as many films as their budget will allow. Fox Movie Channel, on the other hand, repeats the same films throughout the day.

TCMProgrammr has written here that they are pursuing long term agreements with Sony (the owner of the Columbia library) and Paramount.

He has also posted about the fact that they have to rent every film they show. They have an agreement with WBros for the original Turner Library but the agreement does not allow them to rent the films for free.

I believe TCMProgrammr when he says that TCM has no plans to start going with commercials. They went digital because of the mandate from Congress requiring all channels to be digital by February, 2009 and because one of these days high definition television will be the broadcast standard.

I've seen some of Knock on Any Door. Of course just by nature of Let No Man Write My Epitaph having featured James Darren would help make it superior for me. And that it featured Shelly Winters, Burl Ives, Ricardo Montalban and Ella Fitzgerald are four more reasons that it should be shown.

I assumed that from the home page statement that said there were 150,000 films in the data base that the database still existed. I'd like to see this one in Cinemascope assuming it was released that way. Also some background on the film would be nice. Perhaps James Darren and Ricardo Montalban could introduce it.

I assumed that from the home page statement that said there were 150,000 films in the data base that the database still existed.>>

MaryJ,

The database does still exist. It can be accessed from the homepage here:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/index.jsp

The database was originally created by the American Film Institute and through negotiation, TCM is able to bring that database to us.

However the 150,000 films featured in the database are not owned by TCM nor does TCM have access to all the films.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings