Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fail-Safe, 14 Hours, Night and the City , Cloak & Dagger threadums

dsclassic

These are 4 movies upcoming on my Netflix queue, I was wondering what the consensus was for these movies, I am sure some of you have seen them or have them..

Cloak & Dagger will be my first Gary Cooper movie (I am also going to see the other Cloak & Dagger movie at the same time with Dabney Coleman) :)

In this mix is also Hammer Film Noir movies that I am looking forward to seeing...

Maybe FrankGrimes can play Swami and see which ones I will like :)

OOOOH Swami ! :)

I've seen FAIL SAFE several times, and enjoyed it. I think it had the misfortune of being released around the time of DR. STRANGELOVE, so some of its edge may have been lost. But it has a very good cast. I assume NIGHT AND THE CITY is the Richard Widmark version ... if so, that's a good film also, with Widmark at his scumbag best.

Yes, the one from Criterion. Ive been watching Criterion DVDs , since they carry a lot of obscure or independent Noir...out of the few I have seen

Charade

The 39 Steps

The Killers

The Lady Vanishes

The 3rd Man

I have only liked the top 2....

Maybe Im not into Indy films so much - I seem to be into major studio stuff like WB or Universal...

THE LADY VANISHES was not impressive on my first viewings in film-festival theaters, but somewhere in the 2nd and certainly by the 3rd, I was more impressed. I think I managed to overcome the 'stagey' acting and occasional too-long-pauses in dialog.

THIRD MAN, however, probably hooked me early just because of the strange, gypsy-esque music. It didn't seem fitting for a Viennese post-WWII film but now, that music seems perfectly suited. The British Sergeant (Bernard Lee) grows on me, punching out Holly while talking about how great Holly's books are - the Sergeant is so intent on one aspect of his duty but so earnest about his joy of Wild West pulp fiction. It's just one more incongruous element to this film - I mean, a story about an aspirin thief? Yet, we're shown why that is a life and death issue, and why this 'little scoundrel' is killing people all the same.

I don't know how Joseph Cotton can run towards Orson but can't step in front of Alida Valli and kiss her.

I think THIRD MAN is worth repeated watchings. Like so many of these films, I end up enjoying the supporting cast because of their initially-overlooked contributions.

FOURTEEN HOURS and NIGHT & THE CITY are stronger-than-expected films. FOURTEEN HOURS along with TENSION and HE WALKED BY NIGHT let Richard Basehart deliver strong performances. All three have won my recommendations.

I think THE KILLERS may not have impressed me at first either, but then I became fascinated with the viciousness of Ava Gardner. Her character, along with Kathleen Turner's in BODY HEAT, renew my belief that good looking women can get men to do just about anything - including killing other men.

Hey, DSClassic -- Maybe FrankGrimes can play Swami and see which ones I will like

OOOOH Swami !

You rang?

I haven't seen two of the four films and I really want to see the one.

Fourteen Hours and Cloak and Dagger are the two I have seen. I don't think you'll like either that much. Fourteen Hours is a social commentary and its message is actually hidden. If one is to take the film literally, and I'm guessing that you will, it's gonna fall flat. It's the deeper meaning of the film that makes me appreciate it more and more every time I watch it. There's a lot going on despite a limited setting.

Cloak and Dagger is a spy film by my second favorite director, Fritz Lang. The film features my favorite Lang love story but the spy moments aren't that compelling. I think it's gonna come up short for you. By the way, my favorite "contemporary" comedy, Top Secret!, is a spoof of the film.

Night and the City is the film I want to see and own on DVD. Of the four, I believe this is the one that might attract your interest. But I'm saying this without seeing the movie myself. I have high hopes for the film.

I've only seen parts of Fail-Safe. I'm not sure if that film is my speed or not.

Thanks Swami

I have seen 2 comments that Cloak & Dagger wont be a keeper

Night and the City is # 1 on queue and Fail Safe # 2 - these are the 2 I have been waiting to see, but the Warner titles came first

14 hours, I rented it & will watch it by the weekend

I am actually watching the Women...with Joan Crawford

HO-HUM :( not into this one..

I wasnt into hush hush or whatever happened to...

It is neat seeing a young Joan Crawford before she did the middle aged woman in horror movies such as those...I like some of her older stuff, not all...

Too bad Joans career ended with Trog...

I like Joan better than Bette Davis , that much I have figured out

The Woman I wasnt into at all. I hadnt a clue what was going on , but it was neat that it was 100% all women...none of them I found attractive(in this picture, not in general). I was never into women who tied up their long hair into knots like that.. :)

I haven't seen a "young" Joan Crawford film yet. I've only seen her in Johnny Guitar (love it), Sudden Fear (underrated), and What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (very good).

I've only seen Bette in The Petrified Forest (I like it a lot), The Letter (good), What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?(good), and Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte (love it). I've caught parts of other Bette films but I haven't seen them the whole way through.

As of right now, I'm definitely more of Bette fan.

I loooooove *Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?*!!! That is an awesome movie. *Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte* is very good too. *Baby Jane* is actually one of the films that started getting me into classic movies. When I was a teenager my mom saw a commercial for it saying it was coming on tv and she had loved that one so we watched it and it was great.

Hi, Coop's Girl -- I loooooove *Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?*!!! That is an awesome movie. Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte is very good too. Baby Jane is actually one of the films that started getting me into classic movies. When I was a teenager my mom saw a commercial for it saying it was coming on tv and she had loved that one so we watched it and it was great.

You do know that Gary Cooper and Clara Bow aren't in the picture, right? :D

I found What Ever Happened to Baby Jane to be a wonderful mix of comedy and tragedy. One minute I'm laughing at Bette then the next I'm feeling sorry for her and then I'm hating her, but I'm never stuck on any one feeling. The script doesn't allow you to remain in one emotional place. I really enjoyed that.

I like Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte a little more because I believe it to be a tighter film and story. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane is a film that is really going to grow on me, though. Bette Davis really won me over with her performance. She just lets it all hang out in this film. It's a brilliant performance.

Hey, DSClassic -- Bette Davis almost always attracts me. Yes, she's been mimicked for her overacting style at times, but I just love her bravado. She's a little fighter. I'm not sure I'd like the films of hers but I'm almost certain I'd like her performances within. I really have to seek out some early Joan Crawford films. I just don't have a read on her yet.

babyjane3.jpg

Frank...DS...I offer you both a challenge. You'd both be hog tied to a chair in front of a 40"-tv, with beverages fed intravenously. You would have just come from an operation where your mind is wiped clean of any pre-conceived notions you might have of Bette Davis and Joan Crawford. What I'd have you watch (uninterrupted) are three Crawford and three Davis films from the late 30's & 1940's at the height of their ferocious feminity. After viewing the films of each actress you'll be untied and your reviews will be demanded. (Bathroom breaks? HA, you're kidding, of course). And if after that if you find that you didn't like their films or their acting,well...I'm a fair-minded woman. I would let you choose between being drawn and quartered OR shot at dawn. Whatever your pleasure.

G-Man!

Waste no time in seeing MILDRED PIERCE. It's a terrific story by James M. Cain, well staged by the very talented Michael Curtiz. An intriguing story that never slows down. Joan's not young in it. But she's not old. ALL ABOUT EVE is a must-see with Bette. Some of the most biting dialogue to come out of old Hollywood, it reminds me of an Oscar Wilde play. Reminds me a little of THE WOMEN, in fact. Superb cast includes Celeste Holm, Gary Merrill, and the great George Sanders.

I think people make fun of Bette because her style was so hard; so direct. Surely, they don't suggest a lack of talent. The woman infused a role, and a movie, with more life and energy than we often have the good fortune to see. Check her out in JEZEBEL, DARK VICTORY, the depressing but interesting OF HUMAN BONDAGE.

Double R

Message was edited by: redriver

Message was edited by: redriver

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings