Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Another Drive-In Theatre Goes Dark

Victor

After 58 years The Skyview Drive-In in Santa Cruz California has gone DARK.

The people of Santa Cruz said that The Owners just Completely Remodeled The Drive-In and are now Accusing The Owners of Selling Out to Sutter Health. Sad.

Visit The Website

http://www.skyviewsantacruzonline.com

58 Years of Movies Sold for the Price of $1.000.000, From what i've read.

I was Concieved at this Drive-In on September 06 1963, Moms Birthday. it was 1963 not 1964. sorry.

My Grandmother worked here when it was called The Encina.

When i was a Kid back in the late 60s early 70s, Grandma and i would go to see Movies Every Weekend, it was so Fun. Screen #1 was 50 Feet by 104 Feet, The size of a 2.35:1 Movie.

They added Screen #2 in the mid 70s and you could see it from my Grandmas driveway. I used to sit on the back of her car with a Huge bowl of Pop Corn and a couple of sodas and watch whatever was playing on it, having no sound sucked but it was fun just the same. I remember watching Smokey and the Bandit, Jaws, The Aristocats, Star Wars and so many others. Good Times. The Admission price was $6.00 and although the food was nothing special there was just something about it that made you want more. It's really sad that something that IS and WAS so Fun has become a Dying Breed. But that's the way it is in America, if something is Fun and Affordable it doesn't stand a chance.

There is not an Indoor Theatre that is worth the price of Admission, nearly $10.00 now and that doesn't include the cost of Food and Drinks.

What is it now, $5.00 for Pop Corn, $5.00 or more for a Drink and $4.00 for a Hot Dog, I'm not even sure if Indoor theatres serve Hamburgers anymore, and as i said $6.00 to $10.00 for the movie itself.

For a Family of 4 a trip to an Indoor Theatre costs nearly $80.00

Who wants to pay that kind of money when you can see it here for $6.00 for Adults and FREE for Children 12 and under or you could just wait and buy it on DVD in 6 months time for $14.99.

Anyway, The Skyview will be Missed. And to the owners of The Skyview, Thanks for SELLING OUT.

Vic in Vancouver WA

please share your Drive-In experiences here.

Message was edited by: Victor

Message was edited by: Victor

I was Concieved at this Drive-In on September 06 1964, Moms Birthday.

Interesting, how you claim to pin it down to this one particular enchanted evening.

Unless your parents were in the habit of making love no more frequently than once every three weeks, or so, this is a rather unsupportable statement.

I do suppose, though, that it's a good thing that the family didn't hang on to the vehicle in which the notorious deed was done and build a shrine around it.

I was Concieved at this Drive-In on September 06 1964, Moms Birthday.

"Interesting, how you claim to pin it down to this one particular enchanted evening.

Unless your parents were in the habit of making love no more frequently than once every three weeks, or so, this is a rather unsupportable statement.

I do suppose, though, that it's a good thing that the family didn't hang on to the vehicle in which the notorious deed was done and build a shrine around it."

C-Sage, you are one twisted piece of work.

You know all the words and how to use them, but you don't seem to know when and when not to.

bOb.

C-Sage, you are one twisted piece of work.

You know all the words and how to use them, but you don't seem to know when and when not to.

bOb.

"When and when not to," by whose estimation? The words are chosen and employed to achieve a certain desired result. Since I usually get the results I'm after, they're exactly the right ones.

I don't know if it is still open( since it is closed probably for the winter) but I live near a Drive-In in Oklahoma. I have never been. I intend to go but haven't. I went to drive ins in CA when I was a girl and what I remember is the playground more than the movies. That is until I got older and I saw Grease and Saturday Night Fever back to back. I also remember seeing the Muppet Movie also. My sister and I just loved the playground equipment....

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings