Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lucille LaVerne

kaleman

I know Henrietta Crossman was the star in John Ford's "Pilgrimage", but for my money Lucille LaVerne stole every scene she was in. I liked her voice. I liked her mannerisms. I liked the way she smoked that corn cob pipe. I really liked her!I thought Ms, Crossman was a bit theatrical and over the top.I know they both were famous stage stars, but Lucille LaVerne adjusted to the screen much better.Her down to earth approach was winning.

Lucille La Verne was an exceptional actress.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Her best known part is that of the voice of the wicked Queen, and her alter ego, the old crone from Disney's 1937 "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs". She was also the Disney artists' model for the old crone that the Queen transforms herself into in order to give Snow White the poisoned apple. (Her resemblance to the crone can be noted in MGM's film version of Charles Dickens's "A Tale of Two Cities", in which Ms. La Verne plays a confederate of Madame Defarge called The Vengeance.)

She was also a hoot as Ma Magdalena in "Little Caesar" with Edward G. Robinson.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings