Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I would have liked this movie better if ........

dsclassic

To those of us who watch movies with great expectations the 1st time & get disappointed with something about the film, be it the acting, the mood, the atmosphere, the directing, etc....

Think of a film that you probably could have liked better if ...well you tell me what it had to be

For me, the Third Man would have been better if Humphrey Bogart or Cary Grant or Robert Mitchum would have been Holly and not Joseph Cotton, who just doesnt really thrill me when I watch a movie except for Shadow of a Doubt...

Someone with a little FIRE !!! when they act would have made it better (possibly)

I know of such a movie that had the very good acting, the mood, the atmosphere, the music but what I came to see was disappointing. The infants in the movie "It Lives Again". I came to get scared out of my wits and got only anticipation. The low budget cost prohibited Larry Cohen from showing much of anything of them.

This is one movie that needs to be remade.

I hope the sci-fi qualifies of what you are asking - if not then my mistake.

I understand what he means. We have all seen movies which looked good on paper but because of the wrong casting, a low budget or some other essential element the movie was a not as good as it might have been. You can not make a good movie with a bad script - but you can take a good script and with a few wrong decisions ruin it.

Good point April. Doris's acting was too flat and mechanical for me and she's the only thing I dislike about that one.

*High Noon* is near perfect but I can't stand Grace Kelly's performance. It was her first big movie role and it shows. While the movie was a huge hit and has become a classic, it was actually an independently made film with a budget to match which is why they went for a cheaper, less experienced actress. I wish they could have found someone with a little more experience though who could have brought the emotional depth out of that character which I feel Grace was unable to do.

I still think this movie is very good, but I have always wished a more interesting and spirited actress had been cast in The Westerner instead of Doris Davenport.

Director William Wyler pleaded with Sam Goldwyn to let him cast his wife, Margaret Tallichet, an excellent actress, as Jane, but the studio chief was adamant in his desire that Davenport (in Wyler's view, pretty but inadequate) be given the female lead, probably because Goldwyn thought she could be groomed as a star he'd then have under contract (which wouldn't have been the case with Tallichet).

Fortunately, the film revolves so memorably around the Cole Harden-Roy Bean axis, the former's having to cope with befriending a monster; Cole's romance with Jane is a decidedly tangential aspect to the story (Cole's chicanery vis-a-vis the lock of Jane's hair he passes off as Lillie Langtry's being Jane's chief function in the film).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings