Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

November Schedule is Up

Highlights for the month:

Jimmy Stewart is one of my favorite classic stars, but I've seen or already have recorded most of his films. Thunder Bay (1953) and The Mountain Road (1960) are ones I did not have, though, and they're on the 22nd.

Trooper Hook (1957) with Barbara Stanwyck on the 4th. Haven't seen this one.

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka on TCM Underground on the 4th. I give my highest recommendation.

Falcon day on the 6th.

Lady with Red Hair (1940) on the 7th featuring Claude Rains, perhaps not as the titular lady.

The Burmese Harp (1956) on the 9th. Fantastic Japanese anti-war movie.

Red Sonja and The Beastmaster double-bill on TCM Underground on the 11th.

The evening theme "The Essentials: Pat Boone" seems unlikely.

Both the 1934 and 1993 versions of The Age of Innocence are being shown, but not together.

Anatomy of a Psycho (1961) on TCM Underground on the 18th, and featuring a mash-up title from the previous 2 year's big hits, is not as interesting as it sounds.

I've been wanting to see the 3-hour Czech film Marketa Lazarova (1967), and it's on TCM Imports on the 19th.

Ralph Meeker day on the 21st, with Bunuel's Robinson Crusoe on later that night.

Bardelys the Magnificent (1926) starring John Gilbert and Eleanor Boardman is on Silent Sundays on the 26th. I just watched this earlier tonight on FilmStruck and thought it was fantastic.

Jackass Mail (1942) starring Wallace Beery and J. Carroll Naish, has a great title.

Mademoiselle (1965) stars the late Jeanne Moreau, and is directed by Tony Richardson. It's on the 28th.

• Like 5

Robert Wagner will likely be cohosting with Ben Mankiewicz on November 10. The primetime theme that night is "I Loved Her in the Movies," which is also the title of Wagner's last memoir, which was published last year. The book chronicles Wagner's encounters with some of the greatest female stars of Hollywood's golden age. 

It appears the traditional September birthday celebration for Sophia Loren was delayed until prime time on November 2. There's even a replay of "Sophia Loren: Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival" (2016), in which the great star discusses her life and career with her younger son, director Edoardo Ponti. 

25064_001_4272_cc.jpg?w=584&h=389

Loren                                                                  Photo credit: Edward M. Pio Roda

I would had considered having a movie named "An American Tail: Fievel Goes West" (a personal favorite of mine) in the schedule for this month if I were in charge of the programming department for Turner Classic Movies since the voice for one of its main characters (an anthropomorphic dog named Wylie) was provided by this James Stewart.

Jackass Mail (1942) starring Wallace Beery and J. Carroll Naish, has a great title.

Why did you state that it has a great title? 

Robert Wagner will likely be cohosting with Ben Mankiewicz on November 10. The primetime theme that night is "I Loved Her in the Movies," which is also the title of Wagner's last memoir, which was published last year. The book chronicles Wagner's encounters with some of the greatest female stars of Hollywood's golden age. 

He knew some of them. Some he just wrote about.

Films I'm looking forward to:

Nov. 5th--"Unseen Cinema" (2006)-- Early American avant garde film from 1894-1941--parts of 16 films, including Charlton Heston in "Peer Gynt" (1940?).

"Unseen Cinema 2: The Mechanized Eye" (2011)--No info on TCM--I'll have to check imdb.

Nov.6th--"Hollywood on Trial" (1976)--Documentary on the Hollywood Blacklist.  Narrated by John Huston.

Nov. 16th--"Not So Dumb" (1930)--Marion Davies early talkie comedy was the last of three fine collaborations with director King Vidor (1928's "The Patsy", "Show People" were the other two).

"Hollywood Party" (1934)--PreCode musical with Laurel & Hardy, Jimmy Durante, and Lupe Velez.

Nov. 20th--"Rififi" (1954)--Excellent Jules Dassin caper film.

Nov. 28th--"Panama Hattie" (1940)--Ann Sothern stars in what's left of the Cole Porter Broadway musical.  TCM bills Lena Horne 13th, but her two songs were the ones excerpted for the "That's Entertainment" films.

• Like 2

Good stuff:

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka   ***

Barbary Coast   ***1/2

Lonely Are the Brave   ***

Force of Evil   ***

The Man I Married   ***

No Highway In the Sky   ***

Not So Dumb   ***

Cinderella Liberty   ***1/2

Market Lazarova   ***

Cry, the Beloved Country   ***1/2

Thunder Bay   ***

Sssssss   ***

Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here   ***

Wee Geordie   ***1/2

Local Hero   ***1/2

• Like 3

Why did you state that it has a great title? 

Jackass Mail is a great title because it sounds like mail that I would receive, or at least, that's how the mailman addresses me when delivering my mail, only with a comma between the two words. I like movies that speak to my personal experience, Plus, I look like Wallace Beery and J. Carroll Naish's love-child, only uglier and less-talented.

• Like 1
I wish TCM's good friend Darryl Hickman could introduce "Jackass Mail" and tell us some stories about his co-star Wallace Beery. Hickman has said he got along well with Beery, who was notorious for his dislike of child actors.

Wallace-Beery-as-Marmaduke-Baggott-with-
  • Like 1

TCM PRIMETIME - WHAT'S ON TONIGHT: STAR OF THE MONTH: SOPHIA LOREN

8:00 PM

comedy

10:00 PM

romance

12:15 AM

war

Two Women (1961)

2:00 AM

documentary

3:15 AM

5:15 AM

comedy

By the way, why do so many of the prime-time schedules lead with a Star of the Month designation? For a moment there, I thought Sophia Loren was a co-SOTM with James Stewart! 

• Like 2

Anyone notice that there's no Saturday morning B movies like the Boston B l a c k I e on the November schedule? I don't remember if there are any for September & October but they're definitely missing on the November schedule. I guess I'll have to check that out.

ETA: it looks like in September they're finishing the B B series and starting September 30 they're showing just random movies in that slot on Saturday mornings.

Anyone notice that there's no Saturday morning B movies like the Boston B l a c k I e on the November schedule? I don't remember if there are any for September & October but they're definitely missing on the November schedule. I guess I'll have to check that out.

ETA: it looks like in September they're finishing the B B series and starting September 30 they're showing just random movies in that slot on Saturday mornings.

I didn't know that TCM had a 'B' movie Saturday morning schedule for any months.    MOVIES-TV has programming (B movie detective films like Chan, Holmes and Boston) and GET-TV has westerns.

Also,  has TCM ever shown the Boston B l a c k I e  Chester Morris films?   These are from Columbia and generally TCM doesn't feature many films from that studio (expect the hit ones done by Capra etc..).

I didn't know that TCM had a 'B' movie Saturday morning schedule for any months.    MOVIES-TV has programming (B movie detective films like Chan, Holmes and Boston) and GET-TV has westerns.

Also,  has TCM ever shown the Boston B l a c k I e  Chester Morris films?   These are from Columbia and generally TCM doesn't feature many films from that studio (expect the hit ones done by Capra etc..).

Yeah, they've been showing the Chester Morris movies for the last couple of months on Saturday at 10 am Eastern until the Summer Under the Stars started. That time slot has been dedicated to those kinds of films for years. Tarzan, Bomba the Jungle Boy, the Bowery Boys, Maisie have all had their turn.

• Like 1

It's about time they did St. Andrews Day.   St. David's day should be next.  And Canada day too!

Nov. 30.  Both of these are charming ...

Wee Geordie (1955) or Geordie

High and Dry (1954) or The Maggie

and

Local Hero (1983)

• Like 1

That's too bad. :(

Yeah, they've been showing the Chester Morris movies for the last couple of months on Saturday at 10 am Eastern until the Summer Under the Stars started. That time slot has been dedicated to those kinds of films for years. Tarzan, Bomba the Jungle Boy, the Bowery Boys, Maisie have all had their turn.

Wow, that passed me right by.    I'm on the west coast so I guess that is why I didn't know (or care much)  what TCM was showing at 7:00 AM pacific time,  but I would have liked to see some of those serials.  

On Friday, November 3rd, don't miss "The Wilby Conspiracy" -- the 1973 Sidney Poitier-Sir Michael Caine film about apartheid in South Africa. The drama was directed by Ralph Nelson, who earlier guided Poitier to an Oscar-winning performance in "Lillies of the Field" (1963). They also worked together on the 1966 Western "Duel at Diablo."

Filmed in Kenya, "The Wilby Conspiracy" features Poitier as a black activist and Caine as a British mining engineer who are forced to flee from South African authorities. Nicol Williamson plays a national security officer determined to track them down.

Also starring in the film: Rutger Hauer, Prunella Gee, Saeed Jaffrey, Persis Khambatta and Helmut Dantine.

Caine was keen to do "The Wilby Conspiracy" after having observed and experienced conditions in South Africa during the filming of "Zulu" a decade earlier.

The-Wilby-Conspiracy-Ralph-Nelson-1975-2

In 1997, Poitier and Caine reunited for another story about South Africa -- the made-for-television production "Mandela and de Klerk." Poitier portrayed Nelson Mandela, the former political prisoner destined to become president of a very different South Africa. Caine appeared as President F.W. de Klerk, who began negotiations with Mandela to end apartheid. 

Both Poitier and Caine received Primetime Emmy Award nominations for their performances.

Mandela-and-de-Klerk-Screencaps-michael-

• Like 1