Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TikiSoo

Your Favorite Scene in Woody Allen Film?

While there are so many.....I'll start out with:

In HANNAH & HER SISTERS, when hypochondriac Mickey (played by Allen) finds out he's not dying of a brain tumor, joyously jumps & cavorts running down the street. 

Then when he's talking to his secretary (played by Julie Kavner) he says, "But then it occurred to me, I'm still going to die. Someday." and she deadpans, "You're just realizing this?"

I know it's coming, but laugh every time.

What's yours?

I love the opening sequence of "Stardust Memories" (1980), in which Allen's character realizes he'd rather be on another train. The film was his homage to Fellini's 1963 classic "8½."  

Be sure to pay attention to the blonde on the other train. It was her first film appearance.

Funniest scene (Mia, Danny Aiello, and Gina DeAngeles in Radio Days: 

"Four o'clock in the morning you're gonna dump her in Jersey? DUMP HER IN RED HOOK!"):

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/280595/Radio-Days-Movie-Clip-You-Were-A-Witness-.html

Best opening scene (Manhattan):

Best music scenes:

So many from Radio Days, particularly Diane Keaton ("You'd Be so Nice to Come Home To"); Mia Farrow ("I Don't Want to Walk Without You Baby')" Kitty Carlisle ("They're Either too Young or Too Old.").

• Like 1

The scene from Annie Hall where the movie shifts from live action to animation and an interaction between Alvy and the Evil Queen from Snow White takes place.

• Like 1

Taking a pick of the highbrow Doestoevsky/Bergman/Tolstoy/Chekov "Bob Hope for Smart People" gags in Love and Death, probably the "Eisenstein turned silly" war montage.

That, or the failed assassination of Napoleon suddenly turning into a Charlie Chaplin comedy:

(But since everyone's picking Annie Hall scenes, I'll take the opening "Two Jokes That Define My Life" monologue--

It's supposed to be "A comic who can't understand the world except through comedy", but I've found that there's an old joke out there to metaphorically explain just about any philosophical premise.)

I like so many it's hard to pick.  You too?

So I'll add him sneezing his friend's $1500 worth of cocaine into the air in ANNIE HALL.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

Yes, there are so many to choose from! My favorite is probably from The Purple Rose Of Cairo:

• Like 1

Here's another classic scene: From CELEBRITY (1998), the current President of the United States discusses his plans for redeveloping the site of St. Patrick's Cathedral:

• Like 1

The bittersweet final scene in The Purple Rose of Cairo with Mia watching Top Hat was ideal.

Among comic scenes, I got a bit of a kick out of the fate of the nosy neighbor in Radio Days. you know she survives, but that she would freeze in that position......

Among fiercely dramatic ones, Sandy Dennis' cameo in Another Woman was shattering.

But truly he is one of the best directors out there (excluding Everything You Wanted To know About Sex) and I could list many more scenes happily.

• Like 2

There are so many but one that comes to mind is a scene in PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM where Woody meets a girl in a museum and asks what's she doing on Saturday night and she says she's committing suicide so he asks, what about Friday?

• Like 1

In HANNAH & HER SISTERS, when hypochondriac Mickey (played by Allen) finds out he's not dying of a brain tumor, joyously jumps & cavorts running down the street. 

Then when he's talking to his secretary (played by Julie Kavner) he says, "But then it occurred to me, I'm still going to die. Someday." and she deadpans, "You're just realizing this?"

What's yours?

HANNAH AND HER SISTERS is my favorite Woody Allen movie and the scene with Woody Allen dancing down the street is my favorite scene in that movie. Plus I love all the scenes with Dianne Wiest.

I also love the scene in SLEEPER where Diane Keaton does her  Stanley Kowalski with Woody Allen as Blanche DuBois. 

And, of course, the courtroom scene in BANANAS where the witnesses include J. Edgar Hoover (in disguise) and Miss America.

I crack up every time the gagged Fieding Melish (Woody Allen), acting as his own attorney, forces the woman on the stand to admit she lied. "Don't put words in my mouth!"

• Like 2

Ever sooo-many as well!   That sequence already mentioned at the end of "Hannah..." may be it

Plus, the brilliant ending to his own fav "Crimes & Misdemeanors"

The sole time that he & *Landau meet

What's yours?

To TkiSoo, how about that superb finale in "Hannah..." between him & *Wiest?

(TRIVIA: He's done 13 w/Mia & 8 to date w/*Keaton)

For many yrs he always listed 1980's "Stardust Memories" as his best, his rational I made the least$$$

& *"The Woodman" lives in such a NYC bubble, he had no idea who Madonna was when he cast her in a flat (**) 1992 "Shadows & Fog"

Jeff Goldblum in ANNIE HALL: "I forgot my mantra.' 

Woth all his flix  I still barely over "Manhattan"-(man, that Gershwin music!)  But *"Annie Hall" has the edge

Funniest scene (Mia, Danny Aiello, and Gina DeAngeles in Radio Days: 

"Four o'clock in the morning you're gonna dump her in Jersey? DUMP HER IN RED HOOK!"):

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/280595/Radio-Days-Movie-Clip-You-Were-A-Witness-.html

Best opening scene (Manhattan):

Best music scenes:

So many from Radio Days, particularly Diane Keaton ("You'd Be so Nice to Come Home To"); Mia Farrow ("I Don't Want to Walk Without You Baby')" Kitty Carlisle ("They're Either too Young or Too Old.").

UTTERLY ALL-TIME MUSIC!!!

The scene from Annie Hall where the movie shifts from live action to animation and an interaction between Alvy and the Evil Queen from Snow White takes place.

cool beans

Yes, there are so many to choose from! My favorite is probably from The Purple Rose Of Cairo:

YET ANOTHER ABSOLUITELY PERFECTO MASTERPIECE & ONLY GARNERED (1) *OSACAR SHOT FOR It'S WRITING

Pal 0'mine is not especially a huge fan, but adores this one

Wasn''t it lifted from B. Keaton's silent?

HANNAH AND HER SISTERS is my favorite Woody Allen movie and the scene with Woody Allen dancing down the street is my favorite scene in that movie. Plus I love all the scenes with Dianne Wiest.

I also love the scene in SLEEPER where Diane Keaton does her  Stanley Kowalski with Woody Allen as Blanche DuBois. 

And, of course, the courtroom scene in BANANAS where the witnesses include J. Edgar Hoover (in disguise) and Miss America.

I crack up every time the gagged Fieding Melish (Woody Allen), acting as his own attorney, forces the woman on the stand to admit she lied. "Don't put words in my mouth!"

HE STILL CALLS THIS HIS FUNNIEST TO DATE!  ("Bananas")

• Like 1

In Cairo Jeff Daniels uses play money for his movie persona. When he sojourns in the real world there is a scene where he either tries to pay for Mia's lunch or perhaps bribe someone (don't remember) but in any case the payee recognizes play money and says he doesn't want it. Jeff Daniels says, "My money's not good enough for you?" I think this is funny, playing on a movie cliche as it does, but what makes it scintillating is that it is not punched or milked; in fact, it was downplayed so much that if you're inattentive for a second you'll miss it altogether. If you catch it though it's all the more rewarding for being understated.

• Like 1

Can I just state I "like" everyone's posts instead of clicking on all of them? :P

• Like 4

In "To Rome, With Love", any scene with Woody Allen as he decides to change the life of an undertaker who can sing opera really well - in the shower.

• Like 1