Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Was A Teenage Frankenstein

joefilmone

True, but you've got to give him a little credit: he always seemed to maintain an affection for that movie since it did give his career a boost and did lead to his being cast as "Little Joe" Cartwright on BONANZA. He never treated it as an embarrassment.

Agree about the scariness of the scene in the gym!

And the film has another great turn by Whit Bissell as the mad scientist, to boot!

Yes, Bissell was doing his best to be the American Michael Gough - and was quite capable, too. He was a fairly handsome actor, but was usually cast as the wronged or shunned male while the pretty woman had her eyes on a more handsome fellow. And we all know what Bissell and Gough would end up doing after that - teenaged monsters or giant simians running amok. And there was always a woman to blame!

I wonder if Bissell and Gough were the first mayors of Margaritaville?

Yes, well, "that's the price we pay", ha ha... I mean, if women don't shun us and betray us, then they hang on and get in our way! Just think about how much fun Clyde could have had without that albatross Bonnie?!! He coulda been like John Dillinger!

Oh wait... dead in a street shoot-out. Hmmm... seems like some guys ain't gonna make it anyway!

I've been collecting quite a few Michael Gough films of late, including KONGA, but I think Whit Bissell should get my attention, too. He plays about the same character in all his films, usually smaller parts but always has an important role. HE WALKED BY NIGHT is one of those. And certainly these two TEENAGE films.

Sounds like the start of another thread!

I fell violently in love with the hunky, gorgeous Gary Conway who played the poor teenage monster. When I first saw it, I could so easily see myself ignoring that terrible, scarred face of his (well, maybe the whole damned head) because he had a body by God. He was one of my teen idols--the other one being the hot and hunky Johnny Sheffield who portrayed the monosyllabic Bomba and who carried around a chimp that had more dialogue than poor--but gorgeous--Bomba.

No, I wasn't aware Gary was in either of those shows! OhmiGod, I've now got to find stills of those productions. I always wondered whatever happened to him. I could easily see him playing in some of those 60s muscle man movies in Italy but maybe that came too late in his career when he was getting up in years. I could easily see him playing Hercules. Imagine pairing him and Steve Reeves and Mark Forest together! That would have melted the screens around the world!

Susan Nicholson-Hofheinz owns the rights to several American International Pictures films including I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF, I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN, IT CONQUERED THE WORLD, INVASION OF THE SAUCER-MEN and AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN. These films were released on VHS around 1993 before the rights to the AIP library were split up between her and Sam Arkoff, which is why HOW TO MAKE A MONSTER, BLOOD OF DRACULA, EARTH VS THE SPIDER and WAR OF THE COLOSAL BEAST have been released on DVD but not the films Susan owns the rights to. In fact the Arkoff-owned films were remade by Showtime (but were nowhere as good as the originals!)

If you check her name on google, you'll find she tried to sue AMC and A&E for showing short clips from a few of her films trailers but lost both cases. You would think she could receive some nice royalties if her films were released on DVD but for some reason she hasn't allowed this to happen yet.

The last times the films she owns the rights to were shown on TV was in the 1990's on Cinemax and American Movie Classics.

Message was edited by: William735

Nightwalker, you make an interesting point about Michael Landon. When appearing on talk shows and the like, he always had an air of humility. Like he didn't take himself so all-fired seriously. He'd talk about shows that weren't big hits. Poke a little fun at himself. And, you're right. He didn't seem embarassed by any of it. I think I would have liked Little Joe!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings