Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
classicsfan1119

Movie Magazines of the Golden Era

I guess that I should define what I mean by "The Golden Era" (of film). I mean movies made during the 20's, 30's, and 40's. Others might see it differently (smile).

What I'm curious about is how many of you read the variety of movie magazines published during those years? My mother would buy at least three different movie magazines every month, and I grew up looking at pictures in them until I could finally read them! I realize how important they were to me then, and I had forgotten this although my interest in the classics of that era has intensified through the years. For example, I clearly remember cutting out pictures of many stars throughout the years of my childhood to tack on my bedroom walls.

How about the rest of you who grew up during those wonderful years?

I wasn't quite that old, but growing up in the '60s and '70s, "Rona Barrett's Hollywood" was always in our home. I remember loving her "mod" hairstyle! "The Enquirer" was also a staple, and I'm the proud winner of a blooper-spotting contest from the mid-'70s (an episode of "The Jeffersons"!) I also remember being exposed to the after-school talk show gamut - Dick Cavett, Merv Griffin and Mike Douglas. Yeah mom was a Hollywood junkie. *S*

I didn't grow up during that era either, but I have a bunch of those old movie magazines, like Photoplay, and Movie Mirror. I've bought them at movie memorabilia shows, or sometimes even fleamarkets. You can also find a ton of them on ebay. The articles are interesting, even the old ads from back in the day. But what I enjoy most are the covers - the brilliantly painted portraits of the great stars, they are really something to see.

Movie magazines were completely replaced by television when I came around, but I read them wherever I can find them. I've got a small obsession with Cahiers du Cinema.

And of course I subscribe to the TCM guide. Even though the online schedule is more accurate, I like having them. For the covers mostly, as moviejoe said.

I recall hitting paydirt once when I was a kid. In my old Brooklyn neighborhood there were buildings marked for demolition and my brother and I would stroll through them to look for things that were left behind.

While going through the basement there was one section loaded with movie magazines from the 1940s all in excellent condition piled there. We got some cardboard cartons and packed whatever would fit and dragged them home. Our mom was delighted with our find since she was a big movie buff and loved Robert Taylor.

When we finally went back to that bulding to gather more magazines it was gone and some of the pages from the magazines were mixed in with the rubble.

I still have some of them today and enjoy those fabulous pictures and articles of those great movie stars.

Mongo

You buffs likely already know this, just in case.

I agree 100 per cent & I review over 40 to 60 new releases at the theatre per year. But it's & to put it mildly, by no means the same anymore. Not just cinema in itself, but Hollywood as well-(take a look at the shows on "E" or the "ENEMY!" Over at AMC. When they have a special on the paparazzi,etc. The celebs/stars of whom make soooo-much more dough then the heavyweights of Hollywoods Golden Age/Studio-System-(1925 to 60) The likes of: *Gable/ *Tracy/ *Bogart/ *Cooper & Garbo/ *K. Hepburn/ *Davis/ *Crawford,etc. were pretty-much, no, actually for many, many fans they were Heroes & Heroines! & when they appeared in public they walked the walk & talked the talk-to coin an ol' phrase! Appearing in tuxes & nice gowns,etc. Now the likes of: Cruise/ *Julia Roberts/ Brad Pitt/ Madonna & the majority of our cinema stars now dress as though they were just street punks? Baseball cap & of course on backwards, cut-off jeans, dirty T-shirt,etc. There are a few left of whom kinda' still handle themselves in public like those classic heavyweights they proclaim as their own idols?-(that's the ultimate irony!?) *Hanks/ Harrison Ford/ *Eastwood & Pfeiffer-(but I must admit I am prejudice with her, being my fav. alive!) & most of the time anyway: *Nicole Kidman attempts to appear in public, like the OSCAR winning star she's now become & she's probably the most generous person when it comes to her fans & signing autographs. But where is the glamour/mystique & the searchlights at the Premieres' as they use to have 'em. & someone already touched on some of it. TV has been a massive section of it. The mystery is pretty-much gone of the town itself, 1 of the reasons is all these celebs, one can see in living rms. each & every day. But it still does not erase the fact that & I've been out to what's left of hah, hah, Tinsel-Town. The crime is overwhelming-(bars on almost every window & "Walk of Fame" Is essentially for hobos & hookers of whom don't even know what celebs star they are standing on at any given moment!? This all started latter half of the 1960's. & Is just a metaphor for the rest of our country as well, unfortunately! & the town itself has absolutely nada respect for it's legendary past. Tearing most down for things like parking garages. Heck, they don't even light-up the Hollywood sign anymore!?) & these movie stars now of whom for example>*Julia is the highest pd. woman gets $20 million up front. But they just don't care anymore, so it seems. H. Blvd turns into the famous Sunset Blvd. very quickly. & even the sidewalks look about as filthy as the worst streets in NYC now! Not exactly the types like: Cary Grant anymore! But for those of whom still want to read those type of magazines & all. Check out "Classic Images" & It's break-off mag. "Films of the Golden Age!" The latter unfiortunately only comes out 4 times per yr. Both have websites as well. & I remember Rona Barrett & often wondered what became of her? When I was a kid: Steve McQueen-(1930-80) was my hero & I'd collect stuff from her magazine a bit. She never had the same type of power, by any means. But Rona was kinda' like a 1960's & 70's Hedda Hooper-(1890-1966) & or Louella Parsons-(1881-1972) those legendary ladies could make or break a career! Thank You J.S.

Spencer I agree with you...I must say too that Michelle Pfeiffer and Niocle Kidman are just soooo beautifula, smart & talented...they're a joy to behold....unbelievable..... such combination: brains, acting talent, elegance, beauty....they're tooo my fave alive.....

and it's sort of weird, 'cos my "ideal" "physical" type of woman has always been the brunette or dark haired woman....Hedy Lamarr (I luv her) Liz Taylor, Lena Horne, Halle Berry (of the current beauties),......but also had this weakness for blonde & regal Grace Kelly.....

There are also ladies who, maybe while not beauties in a sort of "conventional" way...are tremendously attractive and alluring....like the young Bette Davis (i.e. Jezebel), or Joan Crawford (in all her thirties flicks, especially before 1935)....who belong to a class in theirselves....

Biu it's true classic glamour, it's sort of lost nowadays...I agree that began to happen in the late '60s.....but well, things change...maybe Halle, Nicole, Michelle.....will bring it back....!!!

Concerning the issue of this thread...my dear classics....growing in the 70s and 80s.....those kind of mags were sort of treasures for me...I have some....I've bought them at flea-markets or specialty stores...an I love reading them....the ones I cherish the most are the ones from the period 1929-1936.......