Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone see the rare Carole Lombard Film "Virtue" Early Friday???

ziggyelman

I hope TCM will run it someday in primetime for more folks to see. Never even heard of it before! 1932 film from Columbia, also starring folks you are more used to seeing at Warners, Pat O"Brien, and Mayo Methot. Carole is a women of the night, who was told to leave New York by the police, but she didn't. She runs into Pat, a cabbie she stiffs, who thinks he really knows all about women....both are pretty wary of the opposite sex. Written by long time Frank Capra Collaborator Robert Riskin. Not a bad little film at all.

I love seeing forgotten films like this, I kinda wish TCM would have a weekly slot for these early Columbia films. How many of us have ever had a chance to see many(Any?) pre-code Columbia films????

I recorded it but haven't watched it yet. I must have recorded 10 pre-codes in the last few days. I had never heard of this one either. I love that they are playing so many rare ones lately. Definitely looking forward to seeing this early Lombard film.

Like Molo, I'm in the "Recorded But Not Yet Watched" club. And Sat mornings offerings won't give me a chance - even though all of these films are on my shelves as DVDs, I never seem to pass up Murder My Sweet, The Setup and Cause For Alarm.

But maybe Carole Lombard will sway me - that wouldn't be a bad thing.

This film was making appearances at revival houses a few years back when I had the chance to see it on the big screen in San Francisco. I have had a "thing" for sleazy bad-boy Jack La Rue since seeing him in The Story of Temple Drake, and wanted to see him in this film. It's quite good, and I recorded it this time off TCM to have a copy. IMO, Mayo Methot gives the best performance of her career in this. She was not married to Bogart until 1938, after they had appeared together in Marked Woman.

December has been a good month for pre-codes. I recorded VIRTUE along with the other Columbia pre-codes on Friday (THE BIG SHOT (1932) and CHILD OF MANHATTAN (1933)) I am glad that TCM has been able to dip into the Columbia library for some obscure pre-codes over the past few months. I hope that they are able to bring out some more. VIRTUE was a pretty good film. I also liked Lombard in NO MAN OF HER OWN (1932). It's the only film that she and her future husband Clark Gable ever did together.

This is fascinating! I don't know the movie. But I, also, love obscure, small scale stuff. This sounds like a story I would enjoy. Your description alone makes me want to see it. Lombard was a brilliant, understated performer. She made every moment believable. An amazing talent and a joy to watch.

Red River

I loved it.... the opening scene may be abrupt (or missing some footage) but it still worked.... Carole Lombard was one of the greats and even in these little B film from Columbia she's terrific. Pat O'Brien is also good here and shows more "range" than his later films for Warners.

Ward Bond, Shirley Grey, Mayo Methot, and Jack LaRue are all good as well.

So how did Mayo pronounce her last name? METH O or METH OT?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings