Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who Cares? Actors

Chester Morris - at his worst, what a ham!

Richard Arlen - this actor would never drown in a flood; not when you're that wooden

Richard Dix - stoic, macho and a bit of a bore

Brenda Marshall - her one performance with some life to it was in Captains of the Clouds

Kay Francis - a fashion plate, to be sure, but it's not enough for me. I suspect she appeals to the ladies more than the guys, though I did like her when she played it as a conniver in In Name Only

Hedy Lamarr - beautiful and hollow (on screen only). Off screen she was a successful inventor, so obviously the lady was highly intelligent.

Richard Arlen - this actor would never drown in a flood; not when you're that wooden

I just watched him in Wings the other day and was impressed by how natural his performance was as compared to the other silent-film gesticulators around him.

Margaret Sullavan would be my "who cares" choice.  She comes across as completely dull, a blank on the screen, no personality.

Jessica Lange falls into my "who cares/strongly dislike" category.  Such a monotonous performer who always seems to be playing every role in the same affected style.  And there is something about her voice that is like nails on a chalkboard to me. 

The problem with Ann Harding is she got typecast early on and she was always stuck playing the noble, virtuous type which is why she got fed up and left Hollywood. I like her, but watching a bunch of her films back to back the other night, I can see why. It gets old. I do love her voice.

I've always liked her; her acting seems kind of natural. Perhaps that's why people find her boring! :P

I like that, at a time when all of Hollywood's beauties wore their hair bobbed, she kept hers long and slightly out of fashion.

• Like 1

I just watched him in Wings the other day and was impressed by how natural his performance was as compared to the other silent-film gesticulators around him.

It's been a while since I saw Wings. Clara Bow's appealing vivaciousness and vulnerability in it I remember; Buddy Rogers' excessive boy-next-door "cuteness" I recall with a shudder; Arlen's performance is gone from my memory. He may well be better than Rogers, which isn't saying much.

To be fair, though, I thought Arlen quite good as Gary Cooper's buddy in The Virginian. I just watched him in Beggars of Life. He's okay but pales besides Louise Brooks and Wallace Beery, the latter more or less blowing him off the screen.

Gary Cooper - He talks very slowly out of the side of the mouth. Plus, my dad has never made it through a Gary Cooper movie without falling asleep.

Tab Hunter - A very bland actor who coasts through movies with his looks. I know him better as his real life role as Anthony Perkins' ex.

Horst Buchholz - As we all know, I'm a huge fan of the original The Magnificent Seven. Horst Buchholz tries to be as cool as Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, and the rest, but he just comes off as annoying.

Farley Granger - He's #1 on my who cares/strongly dislike list. His voice is extremely annoying, and it gets on my nerves after awhile. He's basically the male version of Kristen Stewart; both were former teen stars who got juicy adult roles based on luck and not on talent.

• Like 2

I've always liked her; her acting seems kind of natural. Perhaps that's why people find her boring! :P

I like that, at a time when all of Hollywood's beauties wore their hair bobbed, she kept hers long and slightly out of fashion.

Yes. I loved her long blond hair too.......

I like Fontaine's performance in Rebecca a lot, but I agree that by the 1950s her demeanor was some sort of apathy, waiting for the check to clear.

I had to laugh about Joan Fontaine. I love her 40s work, but by the end of the decade her career nosedived. She did have a few good roles in the 50s.

I've always had a soft spot for Raft, not sure exactly why, maybe because

he always gets dissed by so many people. I admit he's not much of an

actor and has the range of a mini sprinkler, but I do like watching him.

Lawford is okay, as long as he sticks with that upper crust British persona.

Mostly harmless. I really can' think of very many who cares performers,

maybe because so many of them are totally forgettable. 

People like to pan Raft on these boards.

Bet they wouldn't have done it to George's face.

a93b1d3adb5ec16fd796af594c3cb574.jpg

"You talkin' to me?"

In the 'would you dare' thread I said I would say to his face,  that he was a poor actor and made very poor decisions (clearly over judging his abilities) since wood can't run very fast.   :lol:

In the 'would you dare' thread I said I would say to his face, that he was a poor actor and made very poor decisions (clearly over judging his abilities) since wood can't run very fast. :lol:

George Raft was one of those Classic Hollywood figures whose real life was more dangerous and fantastic than his screen life.

The Dangerous part had to do with his association with the mob and the Fantastic part had to be with his close associations with a number of movie actresses, running the gamut from Virginia Pine to Norma Shearer.

• Like 1

George Raft was one of those Classic Hollywood figures whose real life was more dangerous and fantastic than his screen life.

The Dangerous part had to do with his association with the mob and the Fantastic part had to be with his close associations with a number of movie actresses, running the gamut from Virginia Pine to Norma Shearer.

I was aware of Raft off-screen associations \ antics.     Yea,  his off-screen persona was a lot more interesting than his on-screen persona.

Sinatra also had mob connections but I find him to be a much better actor than Raft.    

I've always had a soft spot for Raft, not sure exactly why, maybe because

he always gets dissed by so many people. I admit he's not much of an

actor and has the range of a mini sprinkler, but I do like watching him.

Lawford is okay, as long as he sticks with that upper crust British persona.

Mostly harmless. I really can' think of very many who cares performers,

maybe because so many of them are totally forgettable. 

Ya know Vautrin ol' buddy, they say that this sort'a thing is often the beginning signs of that dreaded disease that rhymes with "Old-timers"!

(...yep, THIS and that other one...the one were you used to be able the rattle off the answer WAY before Trebec would finish reading it, but NOW you sit there and go, "WAIT, I know this one, but damn it, it's not comin' to me!" and just as one of the nerd contestants presses their answer button...and THEN there's that OTHER sign of this happening...you start misspelling Trebek's name...yep, OR you begin spelling Norma Shearer's last name as "Sheerer"...yep, now THERE'S ya a telltale sign of this happening if there EVER was!)

A lot of diss for George Raft.  He was my Mom's favorite actor as a youngster (Jeanette MacDonald was her favorite actress; probably because Mom sang opera, too).  Yeah, George was a wooden actor who turned down some good roles that ended up going to better actors.  However, he was good looking (although not nearly as good looking as Robert Taylor).  That has to count for something, doesn't it?  Maybe?  Well, maybe not.  I guess an actor can be good looking and still boring.

Anyone think Robert Young belongs on this list?

I do.

Yea, Young is a solid 'who cares' selection;  adequate enough actor with middle-of-the-road charisma and looks;  which to me mostly defines a 'who cares' selection. 

Not me.  I'm a fan of Robert Young's!

May I ask what there is about Young that so appeals to you?

I find him quite dull, though I did like him in at least one film - They Won't Believe Me.