Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

with the price of cable and/or satellite tv climbing obnoxiously, and the price of netflix/hulu/prime etc coming to a third of the cost, it is time to be rid of cable/satellite.  the absolute ONLY thing i shall really miss is TCM....but $250/mo just to watch one channel is just not practical.  is there ANY way to continue receiving tcm...online?  i see the "watch tcm", but it requires you to have one or the other of the above greedy services.  i would gladly pay a monthly fee to continue receiving tcm...but as far as i can tell, that's not even an option.

am i missing something?

thanx!

• Sad 1
  • 1 year later...

Two hundred and fifty dollars per MONTH! ?

What madness.

The bill for my entire monthly use of electronics is $37. $14 for www connection; $0.00 for TV (I don't watch TV at all); and merely $20 for a cheap throwaway emergency phone, (more like a pager).  No "cable" or "dish"; no wires or chargers; no video games, no streaming media, no blu-ray, no flatscreens or touchscreens, no smart -devices; no "music service", no "subscriptions" to anything, no nuttin', get outta here, go away, leave me alone!

A bookshelf of good books; a dinky little stereo system; birds chirping in the tree outside my window; and a bottle of rye whiskey is all I need.

• 1 year later...

I am in the same boat as the above original poster. I am looking into cutting the cable chord, but I love TCM. I pay almost $80 a month after pairing down a few years ago, but I would like to cut it further, to as close to zero as possible. The only channel I really watch is TCM, besides some weak channels for classic TV.

So is AT&T my only option? I will look into them, but am wondering, if there are any others. I have Amazon Fire Stick and Roku now if that makes any difference.

• 11 months later...

YES,I had to get Xfinity Comcast cable TV in Oregon it's the monopoly here.I don't think besides the Dish(which I can't use cause of the heights of my TREES deletes a Dish)there is any basic good t.v. options.XFINITY IS TERRIBLE. I only kept it cause I got"The Threesome"cable TV,the Net,and my phone uses the Net.And it's good for long distance,so they did that.Got TCM extra ten or $15.I also had a friend call up Xfinity,she volunteered,and I got WETV cause I can't exist without my weekly "dope" of LAW AND ORDER. (strange channel but I'm white.)Altogether,phone,Net,TCM,regular bad cable, and WETV,I pay a monthly about $169. And some cents.ALTOGETHER I may save on phone or Net. I think for a t.v. And cartoon channel also lover,if it was not for having the bad service of Comcast, it might be worth it.

.There almost are no other movie channels except for the rinky-Dink scifi channel,AMC,and the quirky free "Comet TV"and METV".METV is free,and shows only OLD T.V. SHOWS. THAT alone is great cause of old TV westerns.(sigh)On Sat. Nite,there is a cutie pie funny horror show  guy,with old horror movies,and then old Sci fi TV shows,"Star Trek" ect.including"The Invaders" Whats-is-name of the 25th Century"The Time Tunnel,The Lost Robertson Family Sci fi, its FUN.ADD popcorn!If you use Net,TV,and phone(plus TCM,)a lot,its worth it for t.v. Addicts.ADDICTED HERE!("Wonder Years"kid here heh ,sittin in front of boob tube)

I have to call my sis in north California,it has long distance.An hour or two long distance costs,so I like the phone,its not cell phone.Its what they call "a splitter."--between cable TV,Net and phone. But,it can be annoying to some who don't want gobs of useless channels to scroll thru.THE BASIC has CNN news,Fox News,a couple daily news.YOU CAN TRY a "new deal"for half a year or more,and then dump it if you hate it.Many people hate Xfinity Comcast,there's not much competition.I don't get Netflix or Hulu. 

-------This is not an ad for Xfinity.MANY PEOPLE HATE THEM.BUT choices makes it like Democrats and Republicans,"NO GOOD CHOICES."--If Aliens from other worlds invaded,MAYBE we'd have a real choice! OR if elephants took over,we'd have a Matriarchy.LIFE has few choices,you take your lousy one,and make do.This old TV addict is stuck on "The Threesome"in Oregon--plus my neat cat,Burmese,Bella.I recommend the Burmese!🥰

On 9/26/2018 at 6:55 AM, Sgt_Markoff said:

Two hundred and fifty dollars per MONTH! ?

What madness.

The bill for my entire monthly use of electronics is $37. $14 for www connection; $0.00 for TV (I don't watch TV at all); and merely $20 for a cheap throwaway emergency phone, (more like a pager).  No "cable" or "dish"; no wires or chargers; no video games, no streaming media, no blu-ray, no flatscreens or touchscreens, no smart -devices; no "music service", no "subscriptions" to anything, no nuttin', get outta here, go away, leave me alone!

A bookshelf of good books; a dinky little stereo system; birds chirping in the tree outside my window; and a bottle of rye whiskey is all I need.

Very good choices,I'm over electronicized probably would have difficulty without the Net.Yellow Pages and phone books are only online. Now.TRY to look things up WITHOUT THE NET.I guess you are more real as a person.I agree about having good books.--and the squirrels jump off my roof like acrobats 6:AM HAH--and jump onto a near branch bouncing."Morning Squirrel"! Then there's the "Afternoon Squirrel", too,same act.Nature still has the best act.