Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vintage Music

DazzlinglyVintage

Hey all you TCM-ites! :D I was wondering if anyone knew of any CDs out there with music from movies from the 30's and 40's. Not like songs from musicals....I can certainly find those, but music from movies that was typical of those times. I know Glenn Miller is an obvious pick. I've got tons of his music. But, does anyone know of any composers who wrote the background music to movies like those of Cary Grant, Jimmy Stewart, Katherine Hepburn and others like them? Light comedic movies that they played roles in? That would be just swell if someone had any suggestions. I am looking for music to listen to as I read. Thanks!!!! :D

<3 DazzinglyVintage

In 2006 during Lauren Bacall's book signing tour, she was asked if there were ever recordings of her Hoagy Carmichael songs. "There were at the time, but they never made it past 1950," she said. I wish more of Hoagy's film songs were out there with the singers involved - especially Bacall. I think she had a great and distinctive voice, great for that smoky stuff.

The RCA/Victor Company with Charles Gerhardt and the National Philharmonic Orchestra released a number of film score albums by Max Steiner (including the Now Voyager one at the top of the Amazon list in vallo's link as well as a separate one for Steiner's Music for Gone With the Wind), Erich Von Korngold, the music from Captain from Castille, scores from Bogart's films and two from Bette Davis films, including one dedicated to Elizabeth and Essex. There may have been some more but my memory of all listings is hazy.

They may be available on CD. It would be worth searching Amazon and other sites for. They were great compilation albums in their day.

RCA also released albums featuring the music of Dimitri Tiomkin (LOST HORIZON is included) and Miklos Rosza (SPELLBOUND is included). I actually have these on LPs since I used to collect movie soundtracks. I also have complete scores to THE ADVENTURES OR ROBIN HOOD, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, and GONE WITH THE WIND, as well as many others. They are probably available on CD now. Good luck!

Buffalo Chuck - it's not Lauren Bacall, but a friend gave me a 78rpm back in the 1970's of Hoagy Carmichael & his orchestra playing "How Little We Know" vocal by Anita Boyer, and the flip side is "Hong Kong Blues" vocal by Hoagy. I haven't listened to it in ages because I don't have a turntable that plays 78's anymore!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings