Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Subtitle readers celebrate!

This month in addition to the rare treat of a double feature of Satyajit Ray's movies, we also get an evening of Werner Herzog movies, among his his most significant.  Aguirre the Wrath of God (1972) brought him to the attention of audiences in a big way.  And he followed with a series of movies that demonstrated his genius.  Known as much for his documentaries, we don't get any of those, but there is Aguirre, and Stroszek (1977).  Warning, this is about the biggest downer of a movie ever, but important in that it is an early example of Herzog's fascination with, and insight into American culture.  The other two, Fitzcarraldo (1982), and Cobra Verde (1988) star Klaus Kinski, a frequent collaborator, and surpassing at depicting extreme characters.  It could almost be called an evening of Klaus Kinski movies, as well.

Ray's movies, Charulata (1965), and The Coward (1965), I am unfamiliar with, and look forward to seeing.

Herzog is on view on Thursday, the 7th.

Ray the following Sunday, the 10th.

• Like 2

"Fitzcarraldo" (1982) has fantastic images.  It's hard to tell who is crazier, the films' main character or the director.  I highly recommend the documentary "Burden of Dreams" (1982) which is about the myriad difficulties in the filming of "Fitzcarraldo".  It too airs on Sept. 7th.

The morning of Sept. 8th, there is a documentary where Herzog eats his shoe because he lost a bet.  Sounds interesting.

"Fitzcarraldo" (1982) has fantastic images.  It's hard to tell who is crazier, the films' main character or the director.  I highly recommend the documentary "Burden of Dreams" (1982) which is about the myriad difficulties in the filming of "Fitzcarraldo".  It too airs on Sept. 7th.

The morning of Sept. 8th, there is a documentary where Herzog eats his shoe because he lost a bet.  Sounds interesting.

The bet, IIRC, was over whether Errol Morris could make "Gates of Heaven" and get away with it.

There's the scene of Klaus Kinski throwing a rather staged fit when the Fitzcarraldo boat went out of control, in Herzog's "My Best Fiend", which pretty well writes the book on Kinski's looney ego.