Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the new stephen king "it" movie

does the creature from the black lagoon put in an appearance? I found that to be one of the most truly enjoyable parts of the novel. the creature shows up and slaughters one of the characters.

michael landon's teenage werewolf is in it too.

A two hour movie or even a four hour movie can't possibly do justice to the book. There's just too much going on. It would make more sense to make it into a mini series. I'm interested to see how Hollywood slaughters King's book in this latest version. Or am I?

• Like 1

A two hour movie or even a four hour movie can't possibly do justice to the book. There's just too much going on. It would make more sense to make it into a mini series. I'm interested to see how Hollywood slaughters King's book in this latest version. Or am I?

This new film is only the first half of the book, that is, the sections with the protagonists as kids. They are making a sequel to cover the adult sections.

As for the 50's pop culture references Nipkow is speaking of, they are highly unlikely, since the time period has been moved up to the 1980's, I believe,

Was already a miniseries once.  I didn't catch any of it but I've overheard a LOT of positive vibe about it.

TIM CURRY, of "Rocky Horror" fame played the clown.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Was already a miniseries once.  I didn't catch any of it but I've overheard a LOT of positive vibe about it.

The first night was terrific. The second night was not. The ending was memorably terrible enough to nearly negate the enjoyment of the first half. But Tim Curry was good. 

The cast was filled with familiar TV faces: Richard Thomas, Harry Anderson, John Ritter, Dennis Christopher, Annette O'Toole, Tim Reid, Richard Masur. 

The miniseries is very fondly remembered by some (it seems if you saw it as a kid, it had a bigger impact; I wasn't a kid when I saw it). And it was a prime factor in the evolution of clowns as a horror trope. That's one thing the new film seems to have missed: in the prior version with Tim Curry, Pennywise the clown was supposed to be a Bozo-esque goofy character that lured kids in by his silly behavior and clownish antics. He only rarely appeared overtly scary. This new version appears to be Scary Clown Cliche #1 the whole time.

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more. I've read 7 or 8 Stephen Kings and 'It' was far and away the most engrossing of them. A lot of humanity in the writing of that one.

Beep beep, Richie.

The miniseries is very fondly remembered by some (it seems if you saw it as a kid, it had a bigger impact; I wasn't a kid when I saw it). And it was a prime factor in the evolution of clowns as a horror trope. That's one thing the new film seems to have missed: in the prior version with Tim Curry, Pennywise the clown was supposed to be a Bozo-esque goofy character that lured kids in by his silly behavior and clownish antics. He only rarely appeared overtly scary. This new version appears to be Scary Clown Cliche #1 the whole time.

And pretty much ALL the fan-sentimental marketing ever showed, sparking not one but two fanboy-viral crazes that state police had to squash.  (As some police are now cracking down on the volunteer fan-viral stunt of tying red balloons to sewer grates, like they heard the producers do in one location...We all probably remember the other big short-lived craze.)

Which pretty much resembled the rather one-track marketing of 2015 "Poltergeist" remake...Uh, there were other scenes in the original??

But yes, of all the 90's King TV-miniseries, "It" and "The Stand" probably did the best job of squashing galumphing allegorically-self-indulgent 700-pp. King novels into four or six hours and still keeping the basic abstract themes.  Would that some sentimental producers could do as well.

As for the 50's pop culture references Nipkow is speaking of, they are highly unlikely, since the time period has been moved up to the 1980's, I believe,

And the director said he didn't want to do Michael Landon's teenage-werewolf, but wanted "something scarier" that the character could imagine, since they had to generalize it up to the 80's.

So, sorry, Nip, Hollywood has disappointed your overeager hopes again.  That's why new films don't come up much in conversation 'round here.    :(

• Like 1

Sepiatone

Yeah. It's on tonight. I have the DVD too. It's not bad.

Couldn't agree more. I've read 7 or 8 Stephen Kings and 'It' was far and away the most engrossing of them. A lot of humanity in the writing of that one.

Beep beep, Richie.

Yes. I've read it a number of times. Too many, probably, but I've got time to do so here at work. I often wonder how King remembers all the kid stuff from his childhood. The name calling, the games they played.. It brings back a memory to me of a Mom & Pop store/diner where you had to stand on a wooden crate to order penny candy. The "mom" was a big woman outfitted in a way too tight pick waitress uniform, heavy on the eye make-up and red lipstick and yelled at you to hurry up with your choices. Back then a quarter bought a lot of candy and there were a gazillion choices!

Should TCM air this for October or not? :huh:

They should air it any time of the year. :wub:

(Seriously, when Clara cuts down her shopgirl dress and dresses up to go out, for a moment, she actually turns into a human Betty Boop.  I dare you to think they got the inspiration anywhere else.)

I have a huge hang up about the movies or TV movies adapted from Stephen King's books. He is such a great story teller. One of my favorite books is Bag of Bones. I have no idea who made it into a film, but it stinks to no end. And i can't for the life of me understand why in the world they change the story. The main character's wife dies a certain way and they change the whole thing in the stupid movie!

• 2 weeks later...

Stephen King based his clown Pennywise on the real life horror clown Gacey who murdered young children.

John Wayne Gacy wasn't a child murderer, but rather a homosexual sadist who killed teenagers and young men that he employed at his construction sites or picked up as hitchhikers. He was a "pillar of the community", and also appeared as a clown for charitable functions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne_Gacy

His story has been filmed a few times, including a decent TV movie in 1992, To Catch a Killer, with Brian Dennehy, and a low-budget film in 2003, Gacy, starring Mark Holton.

• Like 2

I have a huge hang up about the movies or TV movies adapted from Stephen King's books. He is such a great story teller. One of my favorite books is Bag of Bones. I have no idea who made it into a film, but it stinks to no end. And i can't for the life of me understand why in the world they change the story. The main character's wife dies a certain way and they change the whole thing in the stupid movie!

As much as I love horror films, I'm not a fan of the films of King's novels (I haven't read the books). I liked Carrie very much; after that, I found everything I saw pretty lame. I really wanted to like The Storm of the Century, which was made for television, but it was too much about the bickering people, instead of about the creature, who was kind of interesting. 

I guess that's why I didn't like (the non-King) Silence of the Lambs. Too much Clarice and lambs!

Shame this joyful image of clowns we grew up with in circuses, birthday day parties, etc has been turned into something fearful and evil.  :(

A few has a fear called coulrophobia.  If some poor kid don't have it before, may do so now.

3:26+Blue+1.jpg

Kelly3.jpg

Stephen King based his clown Pennywise on the real life horror clown Gacey who murdered young children.

"The creature called IT is obviously not a clown at all. IT is an ancient evil being that is perhaps billions of years old, as old as the universe itself. IT comes from the void that contains our entire universe called the Macroverse (this is also referred to as the Todash Darkness in Stephen King’s Dark Tower novels). IT’s home dimension is a realm called the Deadlights; in the novel,....(see more)...

IT takes the form of Pennywise the Dancing Clown because King believes “clowns scare children more than anything else in the world.” In the novel, however, Pennywise’s real name is Bob Gray. IT also influences the adults of Derry to passively ignore it and not interfere with IT’s attacks on Derry’s children,........

http://screenrant.com/it-movie-pennywise-clown-origin-explained/

-as good an explaination as any

:D

• 2 weeks later...

What did Ronald MacDonald say to Pennywise?

I've killed more kids than you.

I'm reading a movie-rumor site where the geek-fan moderator believes no other movie should ever be talked about, and I WANT this joke.  May I borrow it?   :wub: