Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Frank Sinatra Story No.1

Moviebuffer12

As some of you already know, I record sound and build equipment for a living. I have worked with a lot of interesting and famous people. Some include George Clinton, Dave Brubeck, Eric Clapton, Paul Anka, The Supremes, George Lucas, Billy Joel, and mainly Frank Sinatra. I have decided to create a forum telling stories about me and Ol' Blue Eyes. I will start out with this one: He came over one day to my studio and gave him my latest michrophones. As I expected, he yelled at me saying they wern't strong enough. At one point, he asked me to hold his watch for him. When I had left the studio, I had forgotten to give the watch back to him. Although Nancy said it was his favorite watch, he never asked for it back. So I had the watch in my house for 30 years in a glass case with my favorite quote of his inscribed in it (Alchahol maybe man's greatest enemy, but the bible says love your enemy). People would always come over and say what an incredible watch. Life was sweet , until his death. Nancy forced me to return the watch as a final favor to him. And he is wearing right now in his grave. I am not making this up either.

If you want stories with other people, just ask.

Morgan in the Motor City

Great story! I am a Sinatra fan and bought one of his original painings from his former contractor. Frank demanded that he drop all his other clients as his three homes always needed something fixed or remodeled.

I heard many amusing Sinatra stories from this old guy. He gave me a lot of Frank's little gifts including wine glasses, matchbooks and Frank's socks!

Hi Miss Goddess, I didn`t know that you lived in LA. at one time. How nice that you met Nancy Sinatra. She was a good friend of Barbara Stanwyck`s, and I think that she dated the producer Ross Hunter for awhile. Last night I watched Frank give a fine performance as Joe E. Lewis in "The Joker Is Wild". Nobody could sing the standards like Frank, and "All The Way" deserved the best song Oscar of 1957. Director Charles Vidor knew how to direct a musical. He directed "Cover Girl" and "Love Me Or Leave Me" also.

Hi Moviebuffer, What a wonderful story about Frank, and it was very timely. TCM showed "The Joker Is Wild" last night. Frank was at the peak of his movie career in the 1950`s, and this movie showed why he deserved to be on top of heap. Did you notice the color of orange in Frank`s home? It was his favorite color.

Hi Cashette---I think *The Joker is Wild* is one of Frank's best. He gives a really nervy performance as Joe E. I also think Jeanne Crain was her loveliest in this movie, really ravishing. It's a sad story, I wanted them to end up together.

Nancy has a great website about her father and the rest of the family and she even moderates its forum. Here in New York I hung out with the guy who in my opinion wrote the best book ever about Sinatra, or just about the best book on any jazz singer, Will Friedwald. The book is called Sinatra: The Song is You! and I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the man or his music. It focuses on his music career, by the way, and NOT on gossip. Friedwald is also by way of being a very funny writer so the reading is breezy. It was through him I also met Tony Bennett and had dinner with him and his family. Lovely, lovely man.

Hi Miss Goddess, Did you mean that met Nancy Sinatra, Frank`s first wife, or his daughter Nancy? What is the website that Nancy monitors? Jeanne Crain was beautiful in "The Joker Is Wild". The screenplay was more interesting when she was onscreen with Frank. They had more chemistry than Frank and Mitzi Gaynor. Frank would be happy to know that his costar from "Young At Heart", Doris Day will be receiving a Grammy for lifetime achievement. Frank received his award, and I think his acceptance speech was stupidly cut short.

Where do I begin? MissGoddess, Will Friedwald's "Sinatra: The Music Is You" is an OUTSTANDING book! My Mom, who was a professional singer and piano player, swiped it when she was visiting me in LA. I had to buy another copy. The only problem with Friedwald's book is that you want to put it down and listen to the songs he writes about.

Hamradio, his contractor told me about building the train layout. There was a feature in Parade magazine showing Frank in his train conductor's outfit.

Moviebuffer, I heard a story about Frank's pal, Father Rocky, a Catholic Priest in Las Vegas. When Frank redecorated, he donated his furniture to Father Rocky who promptly sold it and ran off with a lady friend. Everyone figured Frank would be angry but he just said "Hey, life's too short, let him have fun!"

When you think of all the bent-nosed goombahs Frank could've sent over to retrieve the watch, I'd say that you got off easy.

A lot of people tell me that. However, he never asked for his watch back. It's funny but amazingly true. It doesn't sound at all like something he would do.

He may not have asked for the watch's return (obviously, he could afford to buy them by the carload), but he probably did think to himself, "The guy I left it with knows whom it belongs to and where to find me; he might at least make the gesture of trying to return it."

Had you tried, he most likely would've just said "keep it," as that's the way a man like him frequently shows gratitude (the gesture being more important than the material possession). It would've also prevented Nancy, thirty years later, from asking for it or, would have given you every right to refuse to hand it over.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings