Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VivLeighFan

Actors/Actresses I Wish Starred in a Hitchcock Film

Note: I have no idea how studio politics worked! And I know some of them were B-listers but I don't care. I think they're amazing.

Sidney Poitier-I think they would get along well

Carole Landis- We all know Hitchcock loved to cast blondes. And I'm sure he would find some way to make use of her athleticism

Lizabeth Scott- Same reason I picked Carole

Lauren Bacall

Alan Ladd

Eleanor Parker

Frances Dee

Barbara Nichols

Vincent Prince

John Garfield

Robert Ryan

Audrey Totter

Jennifer Jones

Leslie Howard

Ruth Hussey

Paulette Goddard

Honorable mention

Gail Russell-I want to put her on the list but I think she might be a bit too fragile

Here's one.

Can you just imagine what might have been the result if those two great masters of the more macabre, Hitchcock and Peter Lorre, had worked together? 

(...and btw if you're wondering, even though Lorre would guest on two Alfred Hitchcock Presents, neither of them would be directed by Hitch himself...one was by Norman Lloyd and the other by Paul Henreid)

Dargo--Tried to send you a p.m., but TCM said you couldn't receive any new messages.

Peter Lorre and Madeline Carroll costarred in Hitchcock's 1936 film "Secret Agent".

Doh! Dang, you're right, fl!

Thanks for the correction.

Wonder why they never worked together again, though? Doesn't it seem this pairing would've been a natural for many more films?

You know. Kind'a like a John Ford/Ward Bond sort'a thing?

(...and thanks also for the heads-up here about my PM inbox being full...gotta clean that puppy out, it seems)

• Like 1

We all know Hitchcock loved to cast blondes. And I'm sure he would find some way to make use of her athleticism

Of course, we also know what he THOUGHT of the blondes that he cast.  

Which always made me feel sort of sorry for Julie Andrews in Torn Curtain.

Speaking of "masters of the macabre", I don't know if VINCENT PRICE ever did a movie with Hitch.  Always seemed to use JOHN WILLIAMS a lot.

And as to regards to blondes, what about BARBARA NICHOLS?   Surely she had chops better than to be typecast as hookers and strippers.  Would have been nice to find it out anyway.

And since Hitch too, liked casting either strong, good looking leading men, or else strong willed but easy going guys, like CARY GRANT and JIMMY STEWART,  what would have been wrong with ROBERT RYAN?  Unless he did  do a Hitch movie I'm unaware of....

Sepiatone

Basil Rathbone as a smooth, sophisticated villain in a Hitchcock thriller. He could have had the Otto Krueger part in Saboteur, for example (though Kreuger is very good in that film).

Conrad Veidt as a cold blooded diabolical mastermind with charm in a Hitch film. Veidt actually had been a very effective villain of that sort  in an early talkie British thriller called Rome Express. In many ways the film can be seen as a forerunner to The Lady Vanishes.

Gary Cooper as the somewhat naive reporter lead of Foreign Correspondent. Cooper actually had been offered the part by Hitch but turned it down. After Coop saw the film he said it was a mistake that he had rejected the part that Joel McCrea played.

• Like 5

And as to regards to blondes, what about BARBARA NICHOLS? Surely she had chops better than to be typecast as hookers and strippers. Would have been nice to find it out anyway.

Sepiatone

Oh yes, I love Barbara Nichols. I think she'd do really well in a Hitchcock film. On a side note, I think she should have been Oscar nominated for her performance in Sweet Smell of Success. Vincent Price would be good too.
  • Like 1

Interestingly, Hitchcock directed, uncredited, a 1944 war bond drive short, "The Fighting Generation", which featured Jennifer. Thus, not a "Hitchcock film", but might be worthwhile to see.

Jennifer portrays a nurse, wearing the same uniform from Since You Went Away....

Audrey Hepburn.

She was supposed to co-star with Laurence Harvey in No Bail for the Judge around 1959, but had misgivings about filming a rape scene. She wound up becoming pregnant and pulling out of the project. Hitchock was so steamed, he cancelled the project alltogether and didnt film it with someone else. Have always wondered how this film would've turned out. I think Samuel Taylor wrote the script. Audrey's father (a judge, to be played by John Williams, I think) is charged with murder and Audrey and her boyfriend (Harvey) delve into London's underworld trying to exonerate him........

• Like 1

Speaking of "masters of the macabre", I don't know if VINCENT PRICE ever did a movie with Hitch.  Always seemed to use JOHN WILLIAMS a lot.

You mean John Williams the actor, or John Williams, the composer of "Family Plot"?  (One of Hitch's few non-Hermann scores.)

You mean John Williams the actor, or John Williams, the composer of "Family Plot"?  (One of Hitch's few non-Hermann scores.)

Nope, I'm sure Sepia meant the British actor of course, Eric. ;)

BUT, seeing as how we've brought up the name "John Williams" and the topic of music...you might remember that television commercial the actor Williams did for that set of mail order classical music records here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP9u_7eSlTQ

(...interesting note here perhaps...according to the actor's Wiki bio page, this commercial would become the longest running nationally seen commercial in U.S. television history...it ran for 13 years, from 1971 to 1984...and btw, I believe the musical composer early on in his career would purposely use the name "Johnny" Williams so as not to be confused with the actor...but you probably already knew this, didn't ya)

LOL. I remember all those record commercials. He wasnt the only one pitching them.....

It's too bad Leslie Howard passed away when he did. He would have been excellent in a Hitchcock film. And I can see Frances Dee starring opposite him. They did in Of Human Bondage, if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 1

John Wayne

I mean, can't you just see Big Duke as perhaps the tormented Max de Winter?

(...you CAN'T?!...ya see THIS is the problem with you people...no imagination)

• Like 1

Similarily, are there any modern actors who would have been great in a Hitchcock film. I think that someone like Michael Shannon or Joel Edgerton would be a great choice for one of the more sinister Hitchcock roles.

John Wayne

I mean, can't you just see Big Duke as perhaps the tormented Max de Winter?

(...you CAN'T?!...ya see THIS is the problem with you people...no imagination)

Oh, YEAH?

Well then, how about "Duke" as Roger Thornhill?   Yeah, let's just see 'em TRY to get him drunk on just ONE measly bottle of Bourbon!

Sepiatone

...Peter Lorre and Madeline Carroll costarred in Hitchcock's 1936 film "Secret Agent".

Doh! Dang, you're right, fl!

Thanks for the correction.

Wonder why they never worked together again, though? Doesn't it seem this pairing would've been a natural for many more films? ...

Hitchcock apparently agreed with you that Peter Lorre was worth working with, because they also teamed up two years earlier in the 1934 version of The Man Who Knew Too Much.

• Like 1

Hitchcock apparently agreed with you that Peter Lorre was worth working with, because they also teamed up two years earlier in the 1934 version of The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Well clearly The Man Who Knew Too Much isn't Dargo.        :lol:

(yea,  like my buddy Dargo,  I just couldn't resist hitting such a pitch!).

• Like 1

How about replacing Tippi Hedren with Monica Vitti?

Interesting choice, but she would probably lose patience and shoot all those birds. Feisty girl, she was.

I've wondered if Vivien Leigh would be a good match as well. I would have loved to see her in a film-noir type film as a Teresa Wright type of character or even a villain. However, I have a feeling her and Hitch wouldn't be very good friends afterwards considering they were both reported to be difficult to work with.

Well clearly The Man Who Knew Too Much isn't Dargo.        :lol:

(yea,  like my buddy Dargo,  I just couldn't resist hitting such a pitch!).

LOL

Good one, James.

Yep, I guess when it comes to the subject of the Hitchcock/Lorre collaborations, yours truly here didn't seem to "know too much" about that, huh.

Although I think I'll now blame this on the many years it's been since my last viewing both Secret Agent and the original The Man Who Knew Too Much.

(...and maybe on the fact that I'm gettin' up there in years myself too, ya know) ;)