Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has the Watch TCM live feed been unusable for anyone else?

Being forced to live in hotel with no TCM on the in-house cable has forced me to use Watch TCM via my iPod. Which up until a week ago, was perfectly fine.

Then, starting about a week ago, the live feed seems unable to play for over two minutes without freezing up. On-demand titles play without a hitch, other station's live internet feed play without a hitch, there's just something about TCM's live feed that's suddenly, and inexplicably become unusable.

Is anyone else having this problem? It's starting to drive me a little batty...

• Like 1
Right now, only the West Coast feed is working properly.

Eureka! Thank you so much. I rather live three hours in the past than have to restart the feed every thirty seconds.

Is there anyway to bring attention to this problem (now that it's confirmed there is a problem) to the powers that be? I would like to eventually live in the present again...

No problems to report here on Sept. 13th.  Freezing up was a problem on the 14th though.  It occurred mostly in the last 20-25 minutes of the movie I was watching on my computer.  Could be for a variety of reasons (Irma outages, even though I live no where near the hurricane zone; a computer update I received overnight--my machine acts a little sketchy for a day or two after this happens).  By and large, Watch TCM works well on my end.

• Like 1

I've been having issue too with on demand movies freezing up half way through this past week. Today I just get a black screen where movie should be playing, anyone have any suggestions to fix please? Tried different browers and updating Flash but didn't help. Miss my TCM :-)

• Like 1

I have been having trouble with the WATCH TCM feature on the TCM website. Some movies will not load on my computer. I have now determined that movies which aired on September 12th and 13th will not load, but movies which aired before and after those dates will load. However, I have also determined that movies shown on the 13th will load if I use the WATCH TCM app on my IPad. Therefore, I have determined that there is but one inescapable conclusion - I have to get a life.

• Like 1

I have been having trouble with the WATCH TCM feature on the TCM website. Some movies will not load on my computer. I have now determined that movies which aired on September 12th and 13th will not load, but movies which aired before and after those dates will load. However, I have also determined that movies shown on the 13th will load if I use the WATCH TCM app on my IPad. Therefore, I have determined that there is but one inescapable conclusion - I have to get a life.

Your theory was making sense to me...I tried to watch Under World--no go on pc, fire stick and android tablet...but My Fair Lady​, aired on same day, does work...go figure...I think I should just dvr what I want to see...the site has become a little unstable

• Like 1

Might be an infrastructure problem, where certain files may not have uploaded successfully during a certain frame of time, due to an outage or other problems.  You'd think though that someone would be checking on this.

• Like 1

I only use a PC for TCM ON-DEMAND viewing (no other devices, nor app's).

As far as I can figure from my end, this latest (of a very long line) of TCM ON-DEMAND "snafu's" began a week ago, Sunday evening (9/10/2017).

Everything from earlier that day, up until the first of the Prime Time movies, seemed to load and play normally from ON-DEMAND.

TCM hadn't aired "Blood and Sand" (1941) since 2/8/2013, and I wanted to watch it again... ON-DEMAND. No such luck.

For several days the movie wouldn't load at all, just a black screen. Then later in the week it would finally load, but began buffering and then freezing completely during Ben's intro.

Now it will load and begin to play, but the buffering begins early on in the first few minutes of the movie, and occurs repeatedly, often completely "freezing" the screen.

Same scenario with "The Three Musketeers" (1921), and "Charulata" (1965).

Strangely, I was able to watch "The Coward" (1965) all the way through without a problem. 

I checked all of the usual suspects (latest browser & flash player version, my provider's download stream consistency, my modem, other on-line video sources i.e. YouTube, PBS, etc.), everything was as it should be, except for TCM ON-DEMAND.

I have experienced problems "similar" to this with TCM ON-DEMAND several times before over the last three years, and many times "someone" at the TCM end "eventually" catches the problem and it mysteriously "self-corrects" after a few days... Usually before the particular movies affected run past their 7 day ON-DEMAND window... sometimes not.

Generally all movies during a particular time frame period are affected, which does make this recent problem somewhat different as it appears "sporadic"  from Sunday night through to Wed morning (9/10-9/13).

For example, that Sun night "Blackbeard The Pirate" (1952) appeared to load and play "normally" (though I did not watch it through to completely verify), whereas "B&S" immediately before it would not, and neither "T3M" nor "Charulata" after it...

But from "The Coward" through the following Monday's Jimmy Durante marathon, TCM ON-DEMAND movies appeared to load and play normally. However I only verified two of them completely ("Speak Easily" (1932) & "What! No Beer?" (1933), both early Buster Keaton talkies).

Then TCM threw us a curve ball that Monday night and didn't have a single Disney feature available ON-DEMAND, which I wasn't expecting at all since for the last two and a half years every Disney feature was also available for ON-DEMAND viewing.

The ON-DEMAND no load, no play, &/or buffering "problem" began reoccurring again with the Tuesday am (9/12/2017) schedule. Nothing beginning with "Son of the Gods" (1930) through the entire line-up of Jennifer Jones' movies that evening would load or play normally from ON-DEMAND.

However since the Wed am program day began (9/13) every ON-DEMAND movie loads and plays as it should, while the previous ON-DEMAND "failed" titles (from Sunday night-Tuesday night-early Wed am) remain "unviewable."

I noted that the trailers, clips, and intros were not affected. And the Live streams that i checked appeared to load and play normally.

What makes these issues particularly annoying is that when they (frequently) occur we have no effective way to contact anyone at TCM about them (except for ineffectively mentioning the problem/s on these boards).

As previously mentioned by others, TCM obviously doesn't effectively monitor their own ON-DEMAND output, and evidently has no effective (if at all) Q&A or oversight staff.

I've also considered the possibility that the recent hurricane/s may be a factor... this time.

However, because this type of frustrating problem, as well as many others, occur so frequently with TCM ON-DEMAND, I long ago stopped recommending it to anyone that I wanted to retain as a "friend".

I did check and "Blood & Sand" is on next months schedule, so perhaps there will be another "opportunity" to view it then. 

Who knows when TCM will re-air the 1921 version of "The Three Musketeers" and Charulata," neither of which I've seen before?

Okay, the feed seemed get fixed probably a day after I made this post. However, for the past few hours, the east coast feed (and maybe the west) seems to be "stuck"

Every time I attempt to play it, it's begins in the middle of a "Kirk and Anne" promo. It then goes into the Dick Cavett promo, then freezes at the exact same point every time. It's been the same through three programs.

The west coast feed could be stuck too, as it's been on a "This Movie is Not Available" screen through three different programs.

On demand (at least "I Married a Witch") seems to be okay, just the live feed is stuck.

Wonder how long this one is gonna last...

• 1 month later...

Okay, here we go again...

For the last three evenings, "Watch" has become unusable once entering prime-time. When I use before 8pm everything is fine (including right now). However, after 8, it turns into a mess. Audio out of sync, audio dropped entirely, freezes, and the dreaded spinning wheel, pretty much every two minutes. Again, on-demand is fine (I've been using it to watch what I could not the night before), and weirdly, this is only occurring past eight.

Anyone else?

Update: Attempting to watch Mean Streets, and all of the above is applying...

This is still a thing, but my sense of humor about it is fading pretty rapidly.

EVERY EVENING the "watch" live stream becomes completely unusable, I feel like I can't be alone in experiencing this, but perhaps I am. Is there anywhere I can report this problem to?