Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rating System

katyscar11ett

Does anyone know what/whose rating system stations use when rating movies? I have a Dish Network dish and whatever system they use for ratings is about as useless as possible ~ I doubt they are the only ones that use this system. I am forever finding good movies that they have rated 1 out of 4, and bad movies that have been rated a 3.5 or 4.

I have found the only way to find a true rating is by going to the Internet Movie Database at www.imdb.com ~ where actual viewers are the judges of a whether a movie is good or not. I've found imdb to be pretty accurate ~ I don't always agree but more times than not. Does anyone know what kind of terrible, faulty system most networks use? Just for my own curiosity. Thanks. :)

It's pretty hard to go by anyones System. Films that they give Zero Stars may make 45 million on it's opening Box office. Usually all channels may use the Motion Picture Association of America system. Or use one of there own critics on their payroll. It really comes down to what you, yourself likes.

I may love a film and you may hate it. I never go by someones rating because what they may find "Enchanting " I may find it to be a piece of garbage. I brought films going by another opinion and never seen what they saw to make it "A Great Film!"

Different strokes for different folks.

vallo

I suspect that, like most newspapers, these companies have someone on staff who does these ratings, consequently, they're really nothing more than a matter of opinion. I, too, do not always agree with how my own cable company's guide rates films.

As I said, it's kind of like whoever might review movies for your local newspaper. Some time ago, it was a local joke in my area that if the paper's reviewer liked a movie, it was terrible, and if she dissed a movie, it was probably worth seeing.

I recall that when PLACES IN THE HEART came out, this individual didn't much care for Sally Field's performance, but when she won the Oscar, the reviewer was struck by amnesia and couldn't praise Field's acting enough, totally forgetting how much she had disliked it when the film was first released months earlier!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings