Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First National / Warner Brothers

Jezebel38

scsu1975 - thanks for looking that up, but I guess I'm still wondering why on openning credits on some pre-codes from 1932, like Three on a Match, you get the First National logo only, and then later in 1933, like Babyface, you get the Warner Brothers logo.

Good question. After the acquisition, First National still existed as an entity for awhile before the name disappeared. Wikipedia.org says Warners acquired First National in Septembr 1928, so that is at odds with Katz' book. It also says for decades afterwards, most Warner Bros. films had the label "A Warner Brothers-First National Picture." So I guess we need to find out when First National ceased to exist. Maybe somebody knows the answer to that one.

Message was edited by: scsu1975

It's the same thing that exists today at a studio like disney: some films go out under the Disney banner; others are Touchstone Pictures, and yet others are Hollywood Pictures.

In the case of Warner's, some films on their schedule were deemed more suitable for release under the parent company's name, others as First National (and, until the early 1930s, some as Vitaphone).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings