Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Ruggles of Red Gap (1935)

path40a

I caught this great movie a LONG time ago on AMC, and it was very funny. Luckily I taped it, because it's virtually impossible to find it anywhere. Charles Laughton is excellent as the butler, and I've always admired Mary Boland as a commedienne/character actress, and she does not disappoint. Charlie Ruggles is very good as her hick husband, who befriends "Ruggles" the butler after Mary Boland hires him to give her husband more class. Hopefully TCM will showcase this movie someday.

I also meant to write that it stars Charles Laughton as Ruggles the butler, with Charlie Ruggles and Mary Boland playing his oil rich employers, who live in a small western town. Roland Young is also featured as Ruggles former employer. This movies a real gem, hopefully it surfaces.

Yes feaito, I have noticed how TCM has been acquiring Paramount's 1930's gems for airing, and in addition to the aforementioned titles, they have played many of Mae West's movies as well.

Another Paramount title that I would love to see is "International House" from 1933. It is an all-star comedy with W.C. Fields, Burns and Allen, Stuart Erwin, and even Bela Lugosi, with guest appearances by Rudy Vallee, Cab Calloway, and Rose Marie, among others. It's a little corny, and the plot makes no sense, but it's still a fun movie.

and imagine if they could obtain "The Story of Temple Drake" (1933) with Miriam Hopkins, The Sign of the Cross(1932)....dr.jekyll and mr, hyde (1931), they already got.... and I'd love to see "Peter Ibbetson" with Gary Cooper and Ann Harding, Love me tonight with Chevalier & MacDonald.....Hot Saturday with Grant, Rabdy Scott and Nancy Carroll....there are soooo many gems in vaults!!