Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mr6666

America's Gun Culture...

37 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Florida has a 3 day waiting period for handgun purchases, but NOT for the AR-15 or other military-style rifles, magazines and ammunition.

Under federal law, you must be 21 to buy a handgun from a firearms dealer.

But 18-year-olds can buy AR-15s and other semiautomatic rifles.

Yea,  just learned that on CNN.    The reason for this is because that is the will of the people in the state of Florida.

PS:  also just saw an ad on CNN for TCM's 31 Days of Oscar.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

granted, JJG, mental illness legal def. would be difficult to pin down.

So how about starting w/ something EASY...........Banning assault rifles??

:wacko::unsure:

that would only precipitate a black market glut of bump stocks.

4 hours ago, jakeem said:

What's responsible for all this gun violence in America?

Weakening necessary background checks it's definitely a step in the wrong direction.

But if it's something that's going to benefit Corporate America and not Main Street America, drumpf and his billionaire buddies are in like Flynn.

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

PS:  also just saw an ad on CNN for TCM's 31 Days of Oscar.    

Like on the actual TCM channel? I haven't seen any political commercials on it. :huh: 

Edit: Never mind. I thought you said you saw a CNN ad on TCM. Yeah, TCM gets a lot of ads on other Turner owned channels.

13 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

This is why I advised non Republicans in red states with 'closed' primaries to register as a republican,  and to vote in the GOP primary for the most moderate candidate.    When CA had 'closed' primaries this is what I did but now that we have open primaries and therefore party affiliation, as it relates to voting has been rendered meaningless.  

Yea,  I know you said the above idea was nuts but for citizens that don't belong to the majority party,  this idea is the only way for one's vote to possibly make a difference.     (and of course one can still vote against the majority party candidate in the general).

Actually I didn't say the above idea was nuts.  If I did, I was nuts at the time.  I have voted in the Republican primary every two years since I began to vote.  For exactly the reason you state.  I want the best possible candidate to win and in S.C., that means the "best" Republican where I live.  Although there is seldom a moderate running now.

The GOP in S.C. is trying to establish closed primaries requiring party registration in advance.  So far, not successful because it would offend so many people who think of themselves as independents.  The state also provides funding for the primaries, so that would be a state Constitutional issue.

Unfortunately, NO Republican is ever going to be in favor of gun restrictions and very few Dems are.  So no matter which primary you vote in, it won't matter.

As for banning assault rifles.  Won't happen.  Even if Senate passed it, House never would and Trump would not sign it.  Not making a suggestion here, but I don't think there would be any serious gun restrictions even if someone shot up Congress in chambers or the White House or Mar-a-Lago.

12 hours ago, mr6666 said:

:o

VoteVetsVerified account @votevets 2h2 hours ago

Florida has a 3 day waiting period for handgun purchases, but NOT for the AR-15 or other military-style rifles, magazines and ammunition.

Under federal law, you must be 21 to buy a handgun from a firearms dealer.

But 18-year-olds can buy AR-15s and other semiautomatic rifles.

DWHULf4VQAAIXMN.jpg

There is one difference.  The first one is an automatic rifle, whereas the second is semi-automatic.  Until you convert it to automatic or purchase a bump stock.

I remember growing up around men who hunted.  Most were war veterans as well.  Their guns were either single shot or held up to five rounds.  No magazines.

Saw a CBS news spot on the shootings that had me have new respect for the kids in the school who claimed it was wrong for anyone to instantly exploit the tragedy by spouting off about their political stances on gun control without a respectable period of emotional processing by the victim's families and surviving friends.  Their feelings being it took away from the victims' significance.

Sepiatone

14 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  just learned that on CNN.  The reason for this is because that is the will of the people in the state of Florida.

People think they need access to those weapons so they can defend themselves. Or avenge themselves. Or something.

Doubtful that a "Gun Control Party" will ever get elected.

28 minutes ago, darkblue said:

People think they need access to those weapons so they can defend themselves. Or avenge themselves. Or something.

Doubtful that a "Gun Control Party" will ever get elected.

As misguided as I think they are I can respect their obsession of freedom. Yes, weapons of war have no place on the streets but their fight against gun laws is a misplaced fight against tyranny. As good as sensible gun control would be guns are just too ingrained in American culture and the NRA and corporate interests take advantage of "democratic means" to work for themselves so it won't happen for a while.

It is astounding that the Governors of these states with these incidents who chose to do nothing afterward and continue to take huge amounts of money from the NRA are allowed to continue in their jobs.  In China this would probably be viewed as political corruption and they would have to pay serious consequences.

7 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

As misguided as I think they are I can respect their obsession of freedom. Yes, weapons of war have no place on the streets but their fight against gun laws is a misplaced fight against tyranny. As good as sensible gun control would be guns are just too ingrained in American culture and the NRA and corporate interests take advantage of "democratic means" to work for themselves so it won't happen for a while.

-racism & sexism were 'ingrained' also...

hopefully the times are changin'....

:unsure:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bogie56 said:

are allowed to continue in their jobs.

Say what????    Uh,  they were elected and often re-elected.    It isn't a crime to have a policy stance that you disagree with.    

Hey,  I disagree with them also and here in CA such politicians would never get elected (expect in the most 'red' districts and therefore they have little to know power at the state level),  but in other states pro-gun types win election after election.    Again,  will of the people. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

the NRA and corporate interests take advantage of "democratic means"

Love that comment.

Clearly they (NRA,  gun manufactures and sellers) know how to work the system.    This is why I've been saying that the pro-gun-control activist just have to be smarter and work harder.     Note that years back MADD was able to fight powerful and rich corporate interest (the alcohol and restaurant association lobbies) and they prevailed (I believe .08 is the law in every state and min drinking age of 21 in most states due to their efforts). 

In addition being anti-gay was ingrained and 'normal' only a fews years back but now SSM is the law of the lane.   Thus it can be done.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TheCid said:

Unfortunately, NO Republican is ever going to be in favor of gun restrictions and very few Dems are.  So no matter which primary you vote in, it won't matter.

Did you mean NO and very few as it relates to voters or as it relates to politicians?   

I assume the former but maybe in SC people for gun-control vote for politicians that are NOT for gun-control because they don't have any other options.  

13 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Did you mean NO and very few as it relates to voters or as it relates to politicians?   

I assume the former but maybe in SC people for gun-control vote for politicians that are NOT for gun-control because they don't have any other options.  

I meant NO Republican running for election and very few Democrats running for election.  In S.C., it is 100% for GOPers and 95% for serious Dem candidates.

It may be different in some "liberal" states, but there are too few of them to make a difference in Washington.  Too many Dem senators and representatives cannot really come out in favor of effective gun restrictions or they will lose their elections.

• Like 1

A ‘Mass Shooting Generation’ Cries Out for Change

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/us/columbine-mass-shootings.html?referer=https://t.co/Dq6qIwsMXl?amp=1#click=https://t.co

Soon after, another student joined in.

“I don’t want your condolences you **** piece of ****, my friends and teachers were shot. Multiple of my fellow classmates are dead. Do something instead of sending prayers,” she wrote. “Prayers won’t fix this. But Gun control will prevent it from happening again.” (She would later delete the tweet, alter her Twitter handle and apologize for her “profanity … but not my anger.”.....

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/florida-shooting-teens-gun-control_us_5a85ea3be4b004fc3190306e?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067&__twitter_impression=true

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

“I don’t want your condolences you **** piece of ****, my friends and teachers were shot. Multiple of my fellow classmates are dead. Do something instead of sending prayers,” she wrote. “Prayers won’t fix this. But Gun control will prevent it from happening again.

I wonder how many of these kids parents voted for pro-gun politicians.    I assume most of them.

8 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I wonder how many of these kids parents voted for pro-gun politicians.  I assume most of them.

That's because guns don't kill people.

I think the word is that it's mental illness that kills people.