Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

America's Gun Culture...

12 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Now it goes to the Supreme Court.

One controversial issue is going to be the definition of "assault weapons."  Most of the recent mass shootings were committed with weapons which are technically not "assault" weapons.  The AR-15 is not one - it just looks like one.  Of course they can be modified to function as an assault weapon.  But that is another issue.

To me, one question in IL case will be if a county, which is legally a subdivision of the state, has authority to regulate something the Constitution and Supreme Court rulings have reserved to the states.

I believe the high capacity magazines might be more of a problem than the types of weapons themselves.

My prediction is that the SC will not hear the appeal.   The Fed count dismissed the appeal and the SC will do the same since they have already ruled that states can ban certain type of weapons as well as 'high' capacity magazines.    

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

My prediction is that the SC will not hear the appeal.   The Fed count dismissed the appeal and the SC will do the same since they have already ruled that states can ban certain type of weapons as well as 'high' capacity magazines.    

Perhaps, but seems to me the issue here is can a county or municipality do it?  Or can states pass that authority on to counties or municipalities?

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Perhaps, but seems to me the issue here is can a county or municipality do it?  Or can states pass that authority on to counties or municipalities?

Good point;  but it is my understanding that this has already been addressed by the SC.    Anyhow,  if not,  it would be good for the SC to rule so as to 'close' this out.

Police: “Multiple gunshot victims” from Texas shootings

ODESSA, Texas (AP) — Police said there are “multiple gunshot victims” in West Texas after reports of two suspects opening fire on Saturday in the area of Midland and Odessa.

Midland police said at least one suspect was shot and killed near the Cinergy movie theater in Odessa.

One or possibly two suspects hijacked a U.S. Postal Service vehicle and were firing at random, hitting multiple people, Odessa police said.......

https://www.apnews.com/8d8ea557211f4b8db01598bdfa743dd9?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=AP

At least 10 teens injured in shooting at Alabama high school football game

At least 10 teens were injured Friday night after a shooting at a high school football game in Alabama, police said.

Gunfire broke out at the Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Ala., after a game between Leflore and Williamson high schools had ended, local station WKRG reported.

Police said the victims, all between ages 15 and 18, were taken to local hospitals, according to the outlet. About half of them are in critical condition with non-life-threatening injuries, WKRG reported.

Authorities said later Saturday morning that they arrested Deangelo Parnell, 17, in connection with the shooting. Parnell is charged with nine counts of attempted murder, police told WKRG.........

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/459513-at-least-10-teens-injured-in-shooting-at-alabama-high-school

49 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Police: “Multiple gunshot victims” from Texas shootings

ODESSA, Texas (AP) — Police said there are “multiple gunshot victims” in West Texas after reports of two suspects opening fire on Saturday in the area of Midland and Odessa.

Midland police said at least one suspect was shot and killed near the Cinergy movie theater in Odessa.

One or possibly two suspects hijacked a U.S. Postal Service vehicle and were firing at random, hitting multiple people, Odessa police said.......

https://www.apnews.com/8d8ea557211f4b8db01598bdfa743dd9?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=AP

Odessa police chief: 21 shot, 5 killed in Texas shooting

Nation Aug 31, 2019 6:32 PM EDT

ODESSA, Texas — At least 21 people have been injured by gunfire and five killed in a shooting in West Texas, Odessa Police Chief Michael Gerke said.

At a news conference Saturday, Gerke said that at least three law enforcement officers were among those shot.

He spoke after a chaotic afternoon during which police reported that a suspect hijacked a U.S. Postal Service vehicle and began firing at random in the area of Odessa and Midland, hitting multiple people. Police initially reported that there could be more than one shooter, but Gerke says authorities now believe it was one shooter.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/police-multiple-gunshot-victims-from-texas-shootings

12 hours ago, hamradio said:

According to NBC news, only a standard rifle was used.  So much for people not using assault weapons won't cause carnage. How does one stop random shootings by someone simply losing it?

By preventing him from having the gun in the first place.  Also, he obviously had easy access to a rifle in his vehicle.  One which he easily transported from one vehicle to another along with plenty of ammunition.

Per NBC News, it "may have been an AR-15 style weapon" according to local authorities.  These are the ones where you can legally purchase an adapter kit at any gun show to convert to full automatic, which makes it an assault rifle.  Regardless, it is NOT a hunting rifle, unless hunting people.

Today, Texas has 10 new gun laws going into effect which further reduce that state's already weak gun laws.  Old West, shoot-em-up country.

• Sad 2
1 minute ago, Sepiatone said:

I didn't catch all the reports on this one.  So, were there any specific TARGETS( Hispanics, Muslims etc.)? 

Sepiatone

Apparently not, just random people, including children.  Speculation on my part, but I wonder if he was enroute to do something when he was stopped.

Sad that some people believe looking up and saying words to a mythical nothing is a practical solution.
Yes,  to praying????   Man I would laugh if it wasn't so sad and pathetic.

Republican Matt Schaefer posted on Facebook Saturday that "so-called gun-control solutions" won't "stop a person with evil intent," and that people should instead pray for victims and those with "evil intent."
"'Do something!' is the statement we keep hearing," he wrote. "As an elected official with a vote in Austin, let me tell you what I am NOT going to do. I am NOT going to use the evil acts of a handful of people to diminish the God-given rights of my fellow Texans. Period. None of these so-called gun-control solutions will work to stop a person with evil intent."
Later in the post he continues: "What can we do? YES to praying for victims. YES to praying for protection. YES to praying that God would transform the hearts of people with evil intent."
  • Sad 2

An armed church congregation won't give any shooter a chance in heaven of leaving alive.

Stephen Willeford, who disrupted the mass murder in his small town’s First Baptist Church and became known as the ultimate good guy with a gun.

1118_sutherlandsprings_11-1_compressed-2

The AR-15 given to Willeford by the founder of the San Antonio–based Sons of Liberty Gun Works.

1118_sutherlandsprings_08-819x1024.jpg

1 minute ago, hamradio said:

An armed church congregation won't give any shooter a chance in heaven of leaving alive.

Stephen Willeford, who disrupted the mass murder in his small town’s First Baptist Church and became known as the ultimate good guy with a gun.

1118_sutherlandsprings_11-1_compressed-2

Why doesn't his so called 'god' protect him?    I assume he prays!

The fact this silly nonsense was posted says it all. 

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It's part of the bigger question, why does God allows the "innocent" (no such thing) to suffer?

https://christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t023.html

What you don't understand, man won't go through life without trail / being tested. Life isn't designed to be fair. Just because a person or family attends church and pray doesn't mean nothing bad will ever happen.

• Haha 1
21 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The fact this silly nonsense was posted says it all. 

Well it is said God loves the meek. :lol: 

18 minutes ago, hamradio said:

It's part of the bigger question, why does God allows the "innocent" (no such thing) to suffer?

https://christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-t023.html

What you don't understand, man won't go through life without trail / being tested. Life isn't designed to be fair. Just because a person or family attends church and pray doesn't mean nothing bad will ever happen.

There is no bigger question since there is no such thing as a so-called-god.

For politicians to say that prayer is the only solution (like this jerk Matt Schaefer) shows how brainwashed these Christians politicians are as well as the morons that vote for them.      

But since you believe in such nonsense,  I'm going to be like Pat Roberson after 9 \ 11.

God is coming down on Texas because Texas deserves it!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
36 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

There is no bigger question since there is no such thing as a so-called-god.

For politicians to say that prayer is the only solution (like this jerk Matt Schaefer) shows how brainwashed these Christians politicians are as well as the morons that vote for them.      

But since you believe in such nonsense,  I'm going to be like Pat Roberson after 9 \ 11.

God is coming down on Texas because Texas deserves it!

No one DESERVES 9/11.  Did we deserve Pearl Harbor? :(

image5890574.jpg

By the way Pat Robertson never said we deserved 9/11, was only agreeing with Jerry Falwell on God turning his back.

11 minutes ago, hamradio said:

No one DESERVES 9/11.  Did we deserve Pearl Harbor? :(

image5890574.jpg

By the way Pat Robertson never said we deserved 9/11, was only agreeing with Jerry Falwell on God turning his back.

BS:   These Christians nut jobs hated liberals so much they blamed them for 9 \ 11.   (as well as gays and those evil fornicators).

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

BS:   These Christians nut jobs hated liberals so much they blamed them for 9 \ 11.   (as well as gays and those evil fornicators).

Well maybe the religious nutjobs should start praying to Ganymede and Zeus again to make it up to you people. :lol: :lol: :lol: