Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

America's Gun Culture...

Sen. Tom Corbin, (R), of S.C. has proposed having everyone over 17 eligible to own guns in S.C. automatically become members of the state's unorganized militia.  It passed on a 2-1 subcommittee vote.  He last proposed this when Obama was president.  When pressed, he admitted governor has not had to call out unorganized militia "since Francis Marion and the Swamp Fox shooting at the British."  For those who may not know (apparently Corbin doesn't), Francis Marion and the Swamp Fox are the same person.  In addition, Marion was a member of the organized S.C. Militia during the French and Indian War.  Probably at the beginning of the Revolutionary War as well, but not sure.  The basis for the Confederate Army was the organized militias which each state already had in existence.

The unorganized militia provision dates back to the S.C. Constitution of 1895 (still in effect).   The primary purpose of the Constitution of 1895 was to eliminate all the protections for blacks the Republicans had written into the state Constitution when they controlled the state after the Civil War.   As an aside, the age of consent for females (now amended) was 14.  The Constitution was written while "Pitchfork" Ben Tillman was governor.  Probably the most racist elected official in S.C history - and the creator of Clemson University.  I had to study it when I took course in state government in college in S.C.

The S.C. National Guard is the organized militia in S.C., along with the State Militia.  The State Militia is not federally recognized, but is under the supervision of the state adjutant general - a political appointee.

Corbin believes this will prevent the federal government from taking anybody's weapons under the 2nd Amendment.  Apparently he does not understand the difference between "well regulated" and "unorganized."  

S.C. is one of only three states that do not have a domestic terrorism law, despite one being introduced several times.

The South Carolina Unorganized Militia could be abbreviated SCUM.

https://apnews.com/article/sc-state-senator-tom-corbin-everyone-militia-member-b24c74c587b75cb57ff78bb8f5ec8120

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

The guy's looney toons for sure.

Sepiatone

But I loved how BTC turned Hayseed Kennedy's automobile comparison on its ear.  Automobiles are far more regulated than guns and yes, while people die in accidents those machines unlike guns were not manufactured to kill people.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Bogie56 said:

But I loved how BTC turned Hayseed Kennedy's automobile comparison on its ear.  Automobiles are far more regulated than guns and yes, while people die in accidents those machines unlike guns were not manufactured to kill people.

Not only that,  but the key word  here is ACCIDENTS.   I don't recall anyone suggesting what happened in Atlanta and  Boulder were accidents. ( "I was just standing here and the gun went off accidentally officer!"  )  And how many drunk drivers killed anyone on purpose?    That number's probably a lot lower than  how many mass shootings were the intent.

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
On 3/24/2021 at 12:31 PM, Bogie56 said:

One can reiterate this statement as many times as they wish, BUT the incontrovertible TRUTH of this statement will never EVER sink into the thick heads of those who would believe in the misguided thought that all the rights guaranteed in our Constitution are solely protected by the barrel of a gun.

AND thus the very reason why EVERY damn time some freakin' crazed idiot blows away a dozen people in our country with one fell swoop, the damn NRA issues the following sort of statement:

We at the NRA send our thoughts and prayers out to the victims, their families and their friends, but as unfortunate and tragic as these occurrances are, this are simply the price we must pay to keep our freedoms in this country."

(...nope, those paranoid idiots at the NRA and every damn person who believes in THAT line of crap will never EVER be able to get it through their damn thick heads that to compare automobiles to guns is just ANOTHER load of crap!)

• Thanks 1

Every Saturday, the New York Times publishes a short quiz on the past week's events.  This week, there was a question that illustrates the gun problem and how gun deaths increase with gun ownership.  Might seem obvious, but the stark difference between the US and other countries is telling.

26-QUIZ-GUNCHART-Q-master315.png

The question was which dot represents the US?

Answer is A. 

• A = US
  • B = Canada
  • C = Germany
  • D = Russia
  • E = Japan

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, hamradio said:

Mental Illness, Mass Shootings, and the Politics of American Firearms

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4318286/

In a nutshell how will gun control PREVENT a person with no criminal record or past mental illness whom SUDDENLY snap and kill for no reason?

Such will pass any background check. Where are the alarm bells? The "Minority Report" doesn't exist.

Which is why many progressive believe guns should just be banned and mostly removed from society (or limited to single shot firearms). 

• Like 1

Seems odd to me, but when I was growing up it was common knowledge that automatic weapons were illegal to own(Tommy guns and such).  And I also noticed:

With the relaxing of gun laws and getting more guns in the hands of "law abiding citizens" there was a parallel increase of the guns possessed by  criminal thug types and street gangs.  And most(it can be presumed) of their guns having been stolen from the homes of those "law abiding citizens" who purchased those guns to protect their homes from theft.   And too....

Until the relaxing of laws prohibiting ownership of automatic weapons,  nobody has ever heard about mass shootings as often(if at all) as we do now.   At the time, everyone though COLUMBINE was the exception to the rule.  Nobody had the inkling that it was the catalyst of a disturbing trend.

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Seems odd to me, but when I was growing up it was common knowledge that automatic weapons were illegal to own(Tommy guns and such).  And I also noticed:

With the relaxing of gun laws and getting more guns in the hands of "law abiding citizens" there was a parallel increase of the guns possessed by  criminal thug types and street gangs.  And most(it can be presumed) of their guns having been stolen from the homes of those "law abiding citizens" who purchased those guns to protect their homes from theft.   And too....

Until the relaxing of laws prohibiting ownership of automatic weapons,  nobody has ever heard about mass shootings as often(if at all) as we do now.   At the time, everyone though COLUMBINE was the exception to the rule.  Nobody had the inkling that it was the catalyst of a disturbing trend.

Sepiatone

As I understand it the gun law under Clinton banned assault type weapons.  Automatic weapons have never been legalized.  The problem is that most assault weapons can be easily converted to automatic with readily available kits.  Also, even semi-automatic weapons have large capacity magazines and can fire very rapidly.

My problem with assault type weapons is that if someone purchases a weapon that looks like it should be used in combat to kill people, then that is what they do.

• Thanks 2
7 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

Some trivia, the Thompson was once sold in hardware (and even once read drug) stores.