Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

America's Gun Culture...

On 3/30/2021 at 8:26 PM, hamradio said:

Some trivia, the Thompson was once sold in hardware (and even once read drug) stores.

Thompson submachine gun was marketed for ranchers and similar for protection of their properties against animals as well as people.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ElCid said:

Thompson submachine gun was marketed for ranchers and similar for protection of their properties against animals as well as people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ted Cruz walks out of gun violence hearing after failing to change the subject

".......During a Senate Judiciary Committee on "ghost guns" (firearms made at home that lack a serial number) on Tuesday, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.) tried to change the subject to a debate about police funding.

"If you don't support abolishing the police, why do you keep voting for nominees who advocate abolishing the police?," Cruz asked his Democratic colleagues, referring to Associate Attorney General Vanita Gupta and Kristen Clarke, whom President Biden has nominated to run the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division.

Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) responded to Cruz's attempted diversion by telling him his words were "a complete distortion of [Gupta's and Clarke's] positions" before adding that "we're not here to talk about those nominees. If you want to stay, we can do it at the end of the hearing, but right now we're gonna move on."

Cruz was next seen getting up and walking out of the room, ..........

https://theweek.com/speedreads/982157/ted-cruz-walks-gun-violence-hearing-after-failing-change-subject

<_<

• Sad 1

Sixth grader shoots, injures two classmates and custodian in Idaho

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/two-children-one-adult-wounded-idaho-middle-school-shooting-n1266544

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/06/idaho-middle-school-shooting

And again parents are not doing their job!.  How will gun control make certain adults put their firearms away so children don't have access?

(oh whats her beef, classmates made fun of her Barbie dolls?)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

This latest mass shooting is a "win" for the NRA\Guns rights movement.      With all the gun control laws CA has (strongest in the nation),   these events still happen.

That will supply little motivation for Congress to pass national laws,  or for any Red state to pass CA type gun control laws.

Face facts America:    Nothing short of confiscation of all guns and not selling any more bullets will prevent more mass shooting.

I.e.  it is much to late for CA type of reforms to make much of a difference. 

How will any gun control law prevent a disgruntled employee hell bent on killing from obtaining a weapon to do so.  May slow one down but won't stop someone determine to do harm.

Oh I'm so afraid of getting into trouble, shaking in my boots

maxresdefault.jpg

11 minutes ago, hamradio said:

How will any gun control law prevent a disgruntled employee hell bent on killing from obtaining a weapon to do so.  May slow one down but won't stop someone determine to do harm.

Oh I'm so afraid of getting into trouble, shaking in my boots

maxresdefault.jpg

It's too late for the country now.  There are simply too many guns available.

Every other developed country on the planet  doesn't have this problem.  Either it's because they don't have as many guns, or their populations are more mentally stable than ours.  Either way, we're screwed.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
45 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

It's too late for the country now.  There are simply too many guns available.

Every other developed country on the planet  doesn't have this problem.  Either it's because they don't have as many guns, or their populations are more mentally stable than ours.  Either way, we're screwed.

If it makes you feel any better, that's not correct. On a per capita basis, Americans are safer from mass shooters than are Norwegians and the French. 

I know there are those who want your statement to be true, for their own political purposes, but it simply isn't. This study is a few years old now, but I think it still holds up. 

2 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

If it makes you feel any better, that's not correct. On a per capita basis, Americans are safer from mass shooters than are Norwegians and the French. 

I know there are those who want your statement to be true, for their own political purposes, but it simply isn't. This study is a few years old now, but I think it still holds up. 

Mass shootings are only a small part of the picture. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

I believe that study was only using data about the percentage of deaths from mass-shootings as a total of all gun deaths.

Yes,   most countries have a higher percentage of deaths from mass-shootings then the USA,  but the reason is because those countries have such a low number of gun-deaths to begin with,  while the USA has a much, much higher number of NON mass-shooting gun deaths.   

E.g.  a nation has a total of 30 gun-deaths a year.   10 from mass-shootings;   33% risk of a mass shooting.

USA has total of 10,000 gun-deaths a year;    100 from mass-shootings:   that is 1%.   

Tell me which country would you feel safer in?????

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

...  a nation has a total of 30 gun-deaths a year.   10 from mass-shootings;   33% risk of a mass shooting.

USA has total of 10,000 gun-deaths a year;    100 from mass-shootings:   that is 1%.   

One where I am free to arm myself.

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

I get that and the USA has the 2nd Amendment so every US citizens is able to have arms as defined under this amendment based on S.C. court ruling  over the centuries.

I was just pointing out that the study was flawed science,  at best.     I.e. IT was a political motivated study.    I'm sure you're wise enough to get that.

• Thanks 2
Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

I get that and the USA has the 2nd Amendment so every US citizens is able to have arms as defined under this amendment based on S.C. court ruling  over the centuries.

I was just pointing out that the study was flawed science,  at best.     I.e. IT was a political motivated study.    I'm sure you're wise enough to get that.

Whatever the motivation it looked at mass shootings on a per capita basis and shows, as far as I know, accurately, that the US is not the gun-crazed hell hole some here have said. We are not doomed. It is not all over. Cheer up, people. Times have been much worse. 

• Haha 1
Just now, LuckyDan said:

Whatever the motivation it looked at mass shootings on a per capita basis and shows, as far as I know, accurately, that the US is not the gun-crazed hell hole some here have said. We are not doomed. It is not all over. Cheer up, people. Times have been much worse. 

I didn't imply we are doomed,  only that mass-shooting,  as well as all gun related deaths will not be reduced by any significant percentage,  by  CA type gun control laws. 

So I mostly ignore the politics around guns and gun deaths since I view them as like all deaths;  just a natural part of life in America.

I commented here because my CA governor called what occurred insane.    This was code for Congress to do something,  but hey,  wake-up Newsom,  CA already did and it makes little difference.  

32 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I believe that study was only using data about the percentage of deaths from mass-shootings as a total of all gun deaths.

Yes,   most countries have a higher percentage of deaths from mass-shootings then the USA,  but the reason is because those countries have such a low number of gun-deaths to begin with,  while the USA has a much, much higher number of NON mass-shooting gun deaths.   

E.g.  a nation has a total of 30 gun-deaths a year.   10 from mass-shootings;   33% risk of a mass shooting.

Liechtenstein

shutterstock_502831507.jpg

;)

(Like living in Grand Fenwick but without the bow and arrows :P)

14 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

And so then what?  Add MORE bullets flying aimlessly around from OTHERS free to arm themselves in an attempt to bring down the next mass shooter?

What could POSSIBLY go wrong?  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, LuckyDan said:

It's flawed, because it's inconsistent.   If you're just looking at mass shootings, you have to look at it year-over-year.  It simply took the horrific one-time massacre in Norway where 77 peopled died, and used that as the number, ignoring the fact that Norway has had 0 deaths in the years since due to mass shootings.  Same issue with France.

We're in good company with Mexico, Central America and South America...

1280px-World_map_of_homicide_rates_from_firearms_per_100%2C000_people_by_country.png

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

It's flawed, because it's inconsistent.   If you're just looking at mass shootings, you have to look at it year-over-year.  It simply took the horrific one-time massacre in Norway where 77 peopled died, and used that as the number, ignoring the fact that Norway has had 0 deaths in the years since due to mass shootings.  Same issue with France.

We're in good company with Mexico, Central America and South America...

1280px-World_map_of_homicide_rates_from_firearms_per_100%2C000_people_by_country.png

Funny but I just got back from my hike and I wondered if the study mentioned was only using that one-year data point were Norway had the worst mass shooting in their history.    Classic political motivated stat  right out the book How to Lie with Statistics.