Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

America's Gun Culture...

5 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

It's flawed, because it's inconsistent.   If you're just looking at mass shootings, you have to look at it year-over-year.  It simply took the horrific one-time massacre in Norway where 77 peopled died, and used that as the number, ignoring the fact that Norway has had 0 deaths in the years since due to mass shootings.  Same issue with France.

We're in good company with Mexico, Central America and South America...

1280px-World_map_of_homicide_rates_from_firearms_per_100%2C000_people_by_country.png

I'm assuming that chart includes gang and drug lord activity. You guys ... It's like you can't be happy if someone has a gun in their closet. 

1 hour ago, LuckyDan said:

I'm assuming that chart includes gang and drug lord activity. You guys ... It's like you can't be happy if someone has a gun in their closet. 

They want us to be like the jellyfish British.

1524581389941?e=1624492800&v=beta&t=a0df

NOT in this country!!

rawImage.jpg

Now that's a big stick! :D

I'll take a chicken sandwich, fries, hold the sabot. 

online%20only%201.JPG

3 hours ago, LuckyDan said:

I personally don't have a problem if people want to own guns.  But, it's too easy to get them.  We license drivers supposedly for the safety of the general public.  Yet, when it comes to lethal weapons, we can't?  Switzerland has a high rate of gun ownership too, but it's well regulated.

But the horse left that barn years ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
10 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

I personally don't have a problem if people want to own guns.  But, it's too easy to get them.  We license drivers supposedly for the safety of the general public.  Yet, when it comes to lethal weapons, we can't?  Switzerland has a high rate of gun ownership too, but it's well regulated.

I hear a lot of people say that, but i bet they still vote for Beto "you're-gott-dam-right-we're-coming-for-your-guns!" Oroark. 

And Switzerland, in the study nobody likes, also came in ahead of the US in mass shootings per million. 

14 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

It's not the EASE that bothers me as much as the TYPES of weapons available.  When I was a kid, it was a given that certain types of firearms were illegal for the average person to own.  I also don't seem to recall hearing or reading about "mass shootings" at schools, churches, movie theaters, nightclubs, etc.  So you tell ME----

What makes the difference? 

Or WHY any just average law abiding citizen or hunter would NEED to own an automatic assault rifle? (or any weapon that can be converted to automatic use with a kit that too is too easy to obtain)? 

Sepiatone

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Or WHY any just average law abiding citizen or hunter would NEED to own an automatic assault rifle? (or any weapon that can be converted to automatic use with a kit that too is too easy to obtain)? 

Sepiatone

Why Sepia! Congressman/Frat Boy Matt Gaetz just explained this all to ya up there, dude!

It's so good ol' god-fearin' Americans can protect their 'freedoms' from having them taken away by that evil  ol' government of ours.

And, without having every kind of firearm available to us, the chances of this actually succeeding against the ever-present threat of tyranny, go from infinitesimal to zero. But HEY, at least you can go out like a "real man and patriot" while doin' that, RIGHT?!

(...what'sa matter with you boy?...don't you understand "sound reasoning" when you hear IT???)  ;)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Why Sepia! Congressman/Frat Boy Matt Gaetz just explained this all to ya up there, dude!

It's so good ol' god-fearin' Americans can protect their 'freedoms' from having them taken away by that evil  ol' government of ours.

And, without having every kind of firearm available to us, the chances of this actually succeeding against the ever-present threat of tyranny, go from infinitesimal to zero. But HEY, at least you can go out like a "real man and patriot" while doin' that, RIGHT?!

(...what'sa matter with you boy?...don't you understand "sound reasoning" when you hear IT???)  ;)

I agree that the so called reasoning behind the "need" for such guns for protection from the government is lame,   but the bottom line is gun owners don't need any logical reasons.

Just like you don't for needless\impractical cars you have purchased in your life or me with all the needless\impractical guitars I own.      (needless for example,   because a car can go much faster than the speed limit,  or for some of my guitars because they are not very practical in most musical situations).

E.g.  can you logically defend the purchasing of a two seater car,  with a very tiny trunk?   

My NRA bro always would just say "because I can".      I prefer that type of response instead of the lame so called reasoning as stated by sexual deviant Gaetz.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I agree that the so called reasoning behind the "need" for such guns for protection from the government is lame,   but the bottom line is gun owners don't need any logical reasons.

Just like you don't for needless\impractical cars you have purchased in your life or me with all the needless\impractical guitars I own.      (needless for example,   because a car can go much faster than the speed limit,  or for some of my guitars because they are not very practical in most musical situations).

E.g.  can you logically defend the purchasing of a two seater car,  with a very tiny trunk?   

My NRA bro always would just say "because I can".      I prefer that type of response instead of the lame so called reasoning as stated by sexual deviant Gaetz.  

This should fall under the category of impractical.

The Punt gun

a0vwjo4712o31.jpg

:blink:

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

WHOA now, James! I'm afraid you've now fallen into that little trap in "logic" that the NRA and so many of its membership fall into at every freakin' turn it seems!

YEP, I'm talkin' about correlating the use of "cars" with that of "guns". Nope dude, and sure while auto accidents have historically killed more Americans than has the use of firearms, there IS no and never HAS been any rationale to equate these two "tools" of modern life...PERIOD!

And ya know WHY? Well, it 'cause these two tools of modern life are produced for two DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT purposes, PERIOD! And with one being as a  "means of transportation" and with the OTHER being as a "means for killing" as their PRIMARLY purposes.

(...and besides, how could the use of a car be used to "guarantee our freedoms" as so many NRA members and the Gun Lobby mistakenly believe their guns do, HUH?)

• Like 1
Just now, Dargo said:

WHOA now, James! I'm afraid you've now fallen into that little trap in "logic" that the NRA and so many of its membership fall into at every freakin' turn it seems!

YEP, I'm talkin' about correlating the use of "cars" with that of "guns". Nope dude, and sure while auto accidents have historically killed more Americans than has the use of firearms, there IS no and never HAS been any rationale to equate these two "tools" of modern life...PERIOD!

And ya know WHY? Well, it 'cause these two tools of modern life are produced for two DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT purposes, PERIOD! And with one being as a  "means of transportation" and with the OTHER being a "means for killing".

(...and besides, how could the use of a car be used to "guarantee our freedoms" as so many NRA members and the Gun Lobby mistakenly believe their guns do, HUH?)

I didn't correlate the USE of anything.    Only the purchasing.   

14 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I didn't correlate the USE of anything.    Only the purchasing.   

Still doesn't make your point any more valid here. 

And because the "purchasing" of ANY "tool" IS for their very USE, and regardless how "impractical" OR practical the tool is for its designed purpose.

(...AND regardless what the motivations behind the purchasing of them might happen to be)

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Dargo said:

(...sorry)

Please,  tell me what point you believe I was making,  because frankly to me your reply was irrelevant to my post.

PS:  many people purchase guns, guitar,  cars,  etc...  NOT for "use" but more as collectors.     E.g.  my brother;  he never hunted ,  and only owned one hand gun for "use"  (as in protection,  since he lived in rural Washington state).     The rifles he owned were collector type items,   an "used" only for target practice at a shooting range.      To me that is similar to what Jay Leno does with cars.     I assume 95% of the cars Leno has are never really "used" (e.g. he drives them to get a burger).

32 minutes ago, Dargo said:

And because the "purchasing" of ANY "tool" IS for their very USE, and regardless how "impractical" OR practical the tool is for its designed purpose.

(...AND regardless what the motivations behind the purchasing of them might happen to be)

There is the hobby of gun collecting - not for protection.

1371519787.0.x.jpg

shafer-museum-gun-display.jpg

5b58d04711099.image.jpg

dakota-territory-gun-show-620x400.jpg

32 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Please,  tell me what point you believe I was making,  because frankly to me your reply was irrelevant to my post.

I've just now modified that post of mine which might help explain my (counter)point here.

But still, what I think was REALLY the point of your post was that I felt you were attempting to throw out some sort of rationale in an attempt to explain people who have a fondness and an affinity for firearms. 

But then, I objected to this because you in fact attempted to equate automobiles with that of firearms, and as you've just noticed is a concept and a talking point I've always been adamantly opposed to and due primarily to, once again, of the thought that these two different "tools of modern life", the car and gun, can in NO way be legitmately correlated and due to their PRIMARY reason or reasons for being.

(...did this help?)

11 minutes ago, hamradio said:

There is the hobby of gun collecting - not for protection.

1371519787.0.x.jpg

shafer-museum-gun-display.jpg

5b58d04711099.image.jpg

dakota-territory-gun-show-620x400.jpg

Yes ham, I know many firearm fanciers collect these old wonderful relics of the past. And, I think that it's pretty darn cool, too. I also love looking at them,and marveling at the how their design during the time of their production and manufacture attempted to solve and pave new engineering concepts.

(...however, because the present bent of this conversation which Sepia brought up here is about why some people feel they need to stockpile the latest and most effective firearms available out there, I don't think you bringing up this point at this time is really germane to the present discussion)

• Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I've just now modified that post of mine which might help explain my (counter)point here.

But still, what I think was REALLY the point of your post was that I felt you were attempting to throw out some sort of rationale in an attempt to explain people who have a fondness and an affinity for firearms. 

But then, I objected to this because you in fact attempted to equate automobiles with that of firearms, and as you've just noticed is a concept and a talking point I've always been adamantly opposed to and due primarily to, once again, of the thought that these two different "tools of modern life", the car and gun, can in NO way be legitmately correlated as their PRIMARY reason or reasons for being.

(...did this help?)

Ok,   I get your point now,   but you did notice I also included guitars.    So I did equate cars and guitars to firearms but only in the sense that some people purchase these items with no planned or specific usage in mind.      I still believe that equating these 3 items in the very limited way I did was logical and not a NRA talking point.

But yea,  there is no correlation to the PRIMARY reason for owning, purchasing or using a gun to that of a car or guitar.

• Thanks 1

Given that in these times most people who buy guns don't purchase them with the intent to just sit there and look at them admiringly, one needn't think too hard in any attempt to correlate any reason to the purchase of a firearm to that of an automobile or musical instrument.  

Now, there are some gun "nuts" who might claim more people are killed by cars than guns, but prefer not to take the fact that most killed by cars are killed accidentally.   I don't really know the statistics of how many were shot to death because the gun went off accidentally as opposed to shot on purpose.  Or how many were killed when a guitar popped a string.  ;)   Then there's those clueless mavens who quote bumper sticker logic, like:  "Guns don't kill people.  PEOPLE kill people!"  But ignore the fact that often people kill people with GUNS.  The argument that you can kill people with baseball bats and knives also ignore the blatant proof that---

The kids in Columbine weren't stabbed to death.

Nor were the kids in Sandy Hook bludgeoned with Louisville Sluggers. 

Or those Amish schoolgirls in Pennsylvania.  

Or those at that outdoor concert in Las Vegas a few years ago.  The guy up in that hotel room didn't throw boy scout knives at them.  

And recently, in San Jose, it was discovered that shooter had amassed around 20,000 rounds of ammunition!  Did anyone think he was a bullet "collector"?   :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, hamradio said:

I'm yet to hear of mass shootings done by flintlock. ;)

What, never heard of the French and Indian War, ham???

(...why, it's in all American History textbooks, ya know)

;)

7 minutes ago, Dargo said:

What, never heard of the French and Indian War, ham???

(...why, it's in all American History textbooks, ya know)

;)

Too early for the automatic flintlock. ;)

• Thanks 1