Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

America's Gun Culture...

24 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

This falls under the progressives needing to be careful with what-they-are-wishing-for related to calls for massive budget cuts for the police and other reforms of police practices.     Last night Anderson Cooper had the former Seattle Police Chief on,  Carmen Best.      She stressed what is common sense to me but clearly not to progressives in cities like Seattle and Portland:  That there needs to be a police force.    That there can be other public-service employees that do some crisis management duties instead of the police BUT there still need to be a significant police force.     If not people in crime ridden communities will have to defend themselves and that means more arms and more violence.

"..........That there needs to be a police force.    That there can be other public-service employees that do some crisis management duties instead of the police BUT there still need to be a significant police force.     If not people in crime ridden communities will have to defend themselves and that means more arms and more violence. "

-so just WHO suggested  getting RID of the police forces ??

"What is police reform? In an SSR context, police reform aims to transform the values, culture, policies and practices of police organizations so that police can perform their duties with respect for democratic values, human rights and the rule of law."

:wacko:

30 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

"..........That there needs to be a police force.    That there can be other public-service employees that do some crisis management duties instead of the police BUT there still need to be a significant police force.     If not people in crime ridden communities will have to defend themselves and that means more arms and more violence. "

"What is police reform? In an SSR context, police reform aims to transform the values, culture, policies and practices of police organizations so that police can perform their duties with respect for democratic values, human rights and the rule of law."

:wacko:

You need to ask Carmen Best,  the black former police  chief of Seattle.      

6 minutes ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Yeah, it wouldn't be like a police chief to exaggerate calls for police reform in order to drum up public fear and resistance to said reforms. They'd never do something like that.

17 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, it wouldn't be like a police chief to exaggerate calls for police reform in order to drum up public fear and resistance to said reforms. They'd never do something like that.

I didn't get the impression that Bass was doing that during the interview with Cooper last night;   Her main mission was to promote her just released book Black and Blue.

To me she made very balanced statements related to how every society needs laws and then someone to enforce said laws and in her view the best organization for that is a police department.       She also mentioned that crisis management tasks should be managed by non-police public employees and the need for other types of police reform.

Sounded reasonable to me.      She is the former police chief of Seattle.      One of the reasons she left was lack of support from progressive city politicians.

1 hour ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

"...........“People of color, and Black people specifically, they want to be able to call the police and have the police show up and respond if they get burglarized. But they want to make sure that they’re going to get the same fair and equitable response as everybody else.”

That has been part of the conversation Best has promoted around redefining what policing should look like in Seattle.

“What's driving this [movements like ‘defund the police’]? What are we trying to get to?

People don't like the inequities that they're seeing — I can agree with that. So, what are we going to do to move forward?”

“Think about your safety … And if you don’t feel like it’s gotten any better, then you really need to think about that as you go to the polls and cast your vote.”..........

https://www.kuow.org/stories/carmen-best-on-life-after-seattle-pd-i-am-no-longer-a-police-officer-but-i-m-always-a-black-woman-0a1b

-sounds like calling for fair& equal treatment

NOT demolishing

:unsure:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mr6666 said:

"...........“People of color, and Black people specifically, they want to be able to call the police and have the police show up and respond if they get burglarized. But they want to make sure that they’re going to get the same fair and equitable response as everybody else.”

That has been part of the conversation Best has promoted around redefining what policing should look like in Seattle.

“What's driving this [movements like ‘defund the police’]? What are we trying to get to?

People don't like the inequities that they're seeing — I can agree with that. So, what are we going to do to move forward?”

“Think about your safety … And if you don’t feel like it’s gotten any better, then you really need to think about that as you go to the polls and cast your vote.”..........

https://www.kuow.org/stories/carmen-best-on-life-after-seattle-pd-i-am-no-longer-a-police-officer-but-i-m-always-a-black-woman-0a1b

-sounds like calling for fair& equal treatment

NOT demolishing

:unsure:

Like I said I found Best to be very balanced and intelligent when she gave that interview on Anderson Cooper last night.

Thus I don't understand what point you're trying to make;      Did you assume I believed Best was one of the too far to the left northwest progressives????  If so that was a bogus assumption.

PS:  I guess your reply was more related to someone else's post about Best. 

• Thanks 1

I asked.........

You replied.....

so.....yeah.......I guess it got confused

:rolleyes:

On 10/28/2021 at 8:03 PM, mr6666 said:

I asked.........

You replied.....

so.....yeah.......I guess it got confused

:rolleyes:

Yea,  it got confused;  I believe you were asking about What is Police reform and not who suggested getting rid of the police . 

Minneapolis is having a vote tomorrow on replacing the police department.     Most leading Dems pols in the state are against the measure since it calls for ending the existing police department without a plan for what would replace it other than the Mayor and City Council would have the power to do so.     (and the Mayor and most of the Council is against the change as well).

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else see the Anderson Cooper interview with  Gaige Grosskreutz,  the other day?

Anderson asks him why he brought a gun with him that night;     He says because of his second amendment rights,  and goes on to says  that when he leaves his home it is "keys, wallet, and gun".

The look on Anderson's face is priceless;   

11 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Did anyone else see the Anderson Cooper interview with  Gaige Grosskreutz,  the other day?

Anderson asks him why he brought a gun with him that night;     He says because of his second amendment rights,  and goes on to says  that when he leaves his home it is "keys, wallet, and gun".

The look on Anderson's face is priceless;   

missed it

Who is responsible for political violence?

What links Kyle Rittenhouse, Stephen Bannon, and Paul Gosar: their attempts to avoid accountability

-Robert Reich

"Behind today’s closing argument in Kyle Rittenhouse’s trial lies much the same question that lurks behind Stephen Bannon’s expected surrender to federal authorities, also today: when is someone accountable for deadly violence?

Rittenhouse argues that he killed two people in “self-defense.” But self-defense could become an ever-expanding justification for political violence within a society of soaring gun ownership, mounting political extremism, increasingly violent political threats, and growing vigilantism.

Bannon argues he shouldn’t have to respond to the House committee investigating the January 6 insurrection because of “executive privilege.”  But executive privilege could justify almost any degree of political violence under a chief executive who excuses the insurrection as a mere “protest” and even describes the rioter’s “hang Mike Pence” chant as “common sense.

This week will also reveal whether the House of Representatives does anything about Representative Paul Gosar’s tweet and Instagram post last week of a photoshopped animated cartoon in which he assassinates Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and attacks President Joe Biden. Gosar defends his post by saying it “symbolizes the battle for the soul of America”............

.... at a conservative rally in western Idaho last month, a young man stepped up to a microphone to ask when he could start killing Democrats. “When do we get to use the guns?” he said as the audience applauded. “How many elections are they going to steal before we kill these people?” The local state representative, a Republican, later called it a “fair” question. .........

.........Republicans who break party ranks and defy Trump have come to expect death threats — often fueled by their own colleagues who have denounced them as traitors.

Unless those at the highest levels of government who foment or encourage violence — or remain conspicuously silent as others do — are held accountable, no one in political life will be safe..........

See all:  https://robertreich.substack.com/p/the-week-ahead-who-is-responsible?r=fuw4p&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web&utm_source=

• Sad 1

None of the gun control laws in the works or those present could had prevented this.  An ADULT legally purchased the pistol and this time it's not an automatic firearm.  What red flag at the point of purchase would have prevented the seller from prohibiting the sale?

The parents are idiots no doubt.