Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

America's Gun Culture...

10 minutes ago, hamradio said:

My point is forest creatures don't act like humans.

Who thinks they do? Bambi was a cartoon. Even if it elicited an emotional response from the juvenile viewers, no adult thinks that animals act like that in reality. 

I personally can't fault anyone for hunting to feed themselves or their family, but trophy hunters should be skinned alive.

32 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Who thinks they do? Bambi was a cartoon. Even if it elicited an emotional response from the juvenile viewers, no adult thinks that animals act like that in reality. 

:lol:

I personally can't fault anyone for hunting to feed themselves or their family, but trophy hunters should be skinned alive.

Ouch!

What about fish?

23 minutes ago, darkblue said:

What about fish?

Fishing for trophies is pretty dumb, too. Are they proud that they defeated a fish? Really? Great job outsmarting that fish, hero. Oh, you killed that deer using only your wits and a high-powered rifle? What an achievement. Truly an alpha among our species.

Now if they killed a big man-eating shark with a knife while in the water, or strangled a grizzly bear to death with their bare hands, then maybe a reminder of that accomplishment would make sense. Otherwise, just get a T-shirt that says "I have deep-seated feelings of inferiority and/or tiny sexual organs", and the message will be just as clear.

5 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Hunters always tell me that it's okay to shoot cute little animals, if they eat them, as they pass a Safeway, a Kroger's or a Piggly Wiggly on every corner.  I don't think Daniel Boone or Davy Crockett had those options. LOL

But it's interesting that you should say that--there's been a lot of hunting "accidents" around here lately, especially involving teenagers.

They try to come up with some excuse. Oh, deer are overpopulated and

the poor things will starve to death or die in some other horrible way.

Much more humane to blast them with a rifle and make it quick and easy.

Yeah, that's why they do it. To assist the poor deer.

We usually have a hunting fatality every once in a while, often due to the

hunter's own carelessness. I call it thinning the herd. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Fishing for trophies is pretty dumb, too. Are they proud that they defeated a fish? Really? Great job outsmarting that fish, hero. Oh, you killed that deer using only your wits and a high-powered rifle? What an achievement. Truly an alpha among our species.

Now if they killed a big man-eating shark with a knife while in the water, or strangled a grizzly bear to death with their bare hands, then maybe a reminder of that accomplishment would make sense. Otherwise, just get a T-shirt that says "I have deep-seated feelings of inferiority and/or tiny sexual organs", and the message will be just as clear.

Well, I guess you won't be getting any invites to Gil (The Fishin' Musician) Fisher's cabin.

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

They try to come up with some excuse. Oh, deer are overpopulated and the poor things will starve to death or die in some other horrible way.

Much more humane to blast them with a rifle and make it quick and easy.

Yeah, that's why they do it. To assist the poor deer.

We usually have a hunting fatality every once in a while, often due to the hunter's own carelessness. I call it thinning the herd. 

"So, you see, Stan - we have to kill 'em to keep 'em from dying." - Jimbo and Ned

11 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

It takes skill to catch certain types of fish in certain areas.   Skills.    I don't see what is wrong with rewarding those with skills.

20 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It takes skill to catch certain types of fish in certain areas.   Skills.    I don't see what is wrong with rewarding those with skills.

Like I said, killing animals/fish/birds/etc. for food or protection is understandable. Trophy hunting of any sort is idiotic and completely unimpressive, in my opinion, however many "skills" are involved.

5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Like I said, killing animals/fish/birds/etc. for food or protection is understandable. Trophy hunting of any sort is idiotic and completely unimpressive, in my opinion, however many "skills" are involved.

I find your point of view extreme as it relates to fishing.   In fact this was the main reason I stopped being a member of PETA.    

Good timing on what just happened.  I am totally against the hunting of big cats.  Worst the snow leopards are an endangered species. :(

A petition has been launched to bring a US trophy hunter to justice after he shot a rare  snow leopard and was pictured grinning with the body.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/trophy-hunter-shot-rare-snow-leopard-photo-petition-hossein-golabchi-a8038821.html

• Like 1

Ya know what might make hunting deer and other wild game even easier?

Uh-huh, a bump stock equipped AR-15.

Just get within 50 to 100 feet of those critters and begin straying the area with almost fully automatic gunfire, and you'll have so much freakin' venison you'll have to buy a couple more deep freezers to keep it all in.

(...well SURE it'll probably take all the "sport" out of hunting, but then again is hunting REALLY a "sport" to begin with, I wonder?...I mean it's really not like, say, playing tennis and where you have to run your butt off in order to cover the court and hit the ball back to your opponent, but I suppose some people somehow think of hunting as a "sport" anyway, huh...like say that out-of-shape, fat-butted and fat-bellied neighbor of mine Rick, who thinks hunting is a "sport" and who's REALLY into his gun collection)

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Ya know what might make hunting deer and other wild game even easier?

Uh-huh, a bump stock equipped AR-15.

Just get within 50 to 100 feet of those critters and begin straying the area with almost fully automatic gunfire, and you'll have so much freakin' venison you'll have to buy a couple more deep freezers to keep it all in.

(...well SURE it'll probably take all the "sport" out of hunting, but then again is hunting REALLY a "sport" to begin with, I wonder?...I mean it's really not like, say, playing tennis and where you have to run your butt off in order cover the court and hit the ball back to your opponent, but I suppose some people somehow think of hunting as a "sport" anyway, huh...like say that out-of-shape, fat-butted and fat-bellied neighbor of mine Rick, who think hunting is a "sport")

Your post reminded me of this old SNL skit. "American Sportsman Today".:lol:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/american-sportsman-today/2860982?snl=1

Ironic isn't it that the highly talented Phil Hartman(playing Chuck Heston in that skit) would die a violent gun death at the hands of his coked-out wife.

(...yeah, real "ironic", isn't it)

12 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Ironic isn't it that the highly talented Phil Hartman(playing Chuck Heston in that skit) would die a violent gun death at the hands of his coked-out wife.

(...yeah, real "ironic", isn't it)

Got to love the LAPD's explanation for his death....domestic discord.:wacko:

AND btw, and speaking of "fat ****s with a gun obsession"...

Here's a shot..err..PICTURE of the fat **** who gunned down all those innocent people in church the other day in Texas...

171106-devin-kelley-mug-1015a_8bc465ea48

Think THIS fat moron could've lasted even 15 minutes on a tennis court without heaving for breath?

I doubt it.

(...and I rest my case...that is my case about tennis being a real sport, and whereas pulling the trigger on a firearm is NOT, and no matter what your freakin' "target" might be)

59 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

who wants to look at it?

please. it's dead now.

Yeah, THAT one is "dead now" anyway, huh.

Too bad there's STILL a hell lot of 'em out there just like THAT one who because of this country's easy access to just about any freakin' firearm they'll want to get their freakin' hands on in order to "settle some score", we're all gonna go through this whole freakin' scenario over and over and over and over and over again real soon, ISN'T IT dude???!!!

(...and NOW once again aided AND abetted by that man-child-in-chief of yours, who right after this LATEST horrific act has once again stated his clueless opposition to ANY and ALL attempts at RATIONAL GUN CONTROL MEASURES...the freakin' MORON!!!)

• Like 1

'I can’t do this again’: Why a congressman walked out of moment of silence for Texas victims-

"My colleagues are doing a moment of silence in the House of Representatives chamber. I respect their right to do that and I myself have participated in many of them, but I can’t do this again,” he told his Facebook followers.

“I’ve been to too many moments of silences. In just my short career in Congress, three of the worst mass shootings in U.S. history have occurred. I will not be silent. What we need is we need action. We need to pass gun safety legislation now.”......

“This is all we do in Congress,” he told The Post. “We do this brief moment of silence, and then nothing happens. It’s not as if we’re business people. We make laws. We’re actually in a position where we can do something about this.” ...

& BTW The Air Force said it did not follow policies for alerting authorities about Devin Kelley’s criminal history when he served at a New Mexico base, as reported by The Washington Post’s Eli Rosenberg, Alex Horton and Mark Berman. He should not have been allowed to buy a gun because of his domestic-violence conviction in 2014. ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/11/07/i-cant-do-this-again-why-a-congressman-walked-out-of-moment-of-silence-for-texas-victims/?utm_term=.545ec2552642&tid=sm_tw

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

'I can’t do this again’: Why a congressman walked out of moment of silence for Texas victims-

"My colleagues are doing a moment of silence in the House of Representatives chamber. I respect their right to do that and I myself have participated in many of them, but I can’t do this again,” he told his Facebook followers.

“I’ve been to too many moments of silences. In just my short career in Congress, three of the worst mass shootings in U.S. history have occurred. I will not be silent. What we need is we need action. We need to pass gun safety legislation now.”......

“This is all we do in Congress,” he told The Post. “We do this brief moment of silence, and then nothing happens. It’s not as if we’re business people. We make laws. We’re actually in a position where we can do something about this.” ...

& BTW The Air Force said it did not follow policies for alerting authorities about Devin Kelley’s criminal history when he served at a New Mexico base, as reported by The Washington Post’s Eli Rosenberg, Alex Horton and Mark Berman. He should not have been allowed to buy a gun because of his domestic-violence conviction in 2014. ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2017/11/07/i-cant-do-this-again-why-a-congressman-walked-out-of-moment-of-silence-for-texas-victims/?utm_term=.545ec2552642&tid=sm_tw

Well, maybe those in the Air Force who should have notified the proper civilian authorities about this idiot but FAILED to, didn't what the poor guy to be unarmed when that "bad ol' tyrannical government came knocking at his door"?

I mean, the guy DID serve this country before being convicted of domestic abuse, now didn't HE?! And so perhaps the thought was that he had somehow "earned" his right to be armed for just such a "contingency" and regardless his evident inability to control his emotions and actions?! Yeah, THAT was probably it.

(...what, you got maybe a BETTER guess as to why that freakin' moron wasn't immediately reported to the national data base after his court martial?!...it couldn't have been just sheer incompetence or forgetfulness on the part of the Air Force personnel responsible for that, now could it?!...nope, I think I'm gonna stick with this little theory of mine here...well, that is until they name the idiot Air Force personnel who was in charge of doing that and so he or she can then explain why they failed to do THEIR FREAKIN' JOB and basically contribute to that SOB killing all those people!!!)

Late-Night Hosts Express Frustration Over Inaction in Wake of Texas Shooting-

James Corden and Stephen Colbert called out Congress for “doing nothing,” whereas Jordan Klepper used dark humor...

Colbert: “You cannot give up in the face of evil. Nothing gets done to control the guns that killed 10,000 people a year in America. Doing nothing is unacceptable. It’s unnatural. It’s inhumane. It just goes against our nature. We want to fix things. This hopelessness, this tirelessness you feel when nothing gets done is something we can’t get into, because I actually think for some…truly evil people out there who want you to feel powerless for a buck. Because if you feel powerless, you know what might make you feel more powerful? Going to buy a gun. It’s a vicious cycle. It happens, nothing gets done to get rid of the guns and people buy more guns to protect themselves. “ ...

“There is one power you must never forget, that is you can vote in 2018. Vote for someone who will do something, because this is an act of evil and the only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.” ....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/texas-church-shooting-stephen-colbert-james-corden-jordan-klepper-respond-talk-gun-control-watch-vid-1055633?utm_source=twitter

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, THAT one is "dead now" anyway, huh.

Too bad there's STILL a hell lot of 'em out there just like THAT one who because of this country's easy access to just about any freakin' firearm they'll want to get their freakin' hands on in order to "settle some score", we're all gonna go through this whole freakin' scenario over and over and over and over and over again real soon, ISN'T IT dude???!!!

(...and NOW once again aided AND abetted by that man-child-in-chief of yours, who right after this LATEST horrific act has once again stated his clueless opposition to ANY and ALL attempts at RATIONAL GUN CONTROL MEASURES...the freakin' MORON!!!)

Gun control measures should be at the state level NOT Federal.    CA has lot of rational gun control laws.   All I want from the Feds is laws that prevent the transfer of guns from one state to another (but this is likely unconstitutional due to the commerce clause),  and the prevention of a CA residence to purchase guns outside of CA.

Also,  it doesn't matter what a President says on this issue.   President's can't pass laws.    Do gun control activist want the President to use Executive orders?    I don't (instead I want to reduce the power of the President to use Executive orders,  at all levels, period).     

It is also silly to ask members of Congress outside on one's state to push for something their constituents, don't want.   Uh,  the House is called the House of Representatives;  which means they represent those in their district and NOT the nation as a whole.

Bottom line;  push the voters in the district \ state you're in to try to elect politicians that are for gun control laws like the ones in CA (e.g. after each of the major mass shooting CA passed additional laws).     If your state is run by the GOP,  become a member of the GOP so you can vote in the GOP primary to nominate a more moderate GOP candidate.  

33 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

Late-Night Hosts Express Frustration Over Inaction in Wake of Texas Shooting-

James Corden and Stephen Colbert called out Congress for “doing nothing,” whereas Jordan Klepper used dark humor...

Colbert: “You cannot give up in the face of evil. Nothing gets done to control the guns that killed 10,000 people a year in America. Doing nothing is unacceptable. It’s unnatural. It’s inhumane. It just goes against our nature. We want to fix things. This hopelessness, this tirelessness you feel when nothing gets done is something we can’t get into, because I actually think for some…truly evil people out there who want you to feel powerless for a buck. Because if you feel powerless, you know what might make you feel more powerful? Going to buy a gun. It’s a vicious cycle. It happens, nothing gets done to get rid of the guns and people buy more guns to protect themselves. “ ...

“There is one power you must never forget, that is you can vote in 2018. Vote for someone who will do something, because this is an act of evil and the only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.” ....James Corden

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/texas-church-shooting-stephen-colbert-james-corden-jordan-klepper-respond-talk-gun-control-watch-vid-1055633?utm_source=twitter

Yeah, riiiiight James. Yeah, MAYBE we'll even set a record in 2018 and get up to even 40 percent of eligible registered voters getting of their fat lazy "disenfranchised" butts and actually voting in this coming Mid-Term elections...MAYBE!

(...yep, sorry James, you superfluous-u user you, but you've STILL got a LOT to learn about America and Americans young sir, and the unfortunate tendency in this country to be apathetic)