Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In this darkened alley dwell Fritz Lang fans...beware.

CoopsGal

Guess Frank isn't around...will I do?

As a replacement, no; but I'd appreciate suggestions from anyone who's willing to share!

Narrow Margin

Nightmare Alley

I Wake Up Screaming

Somewhere in the Night

Vicki

Clash by Night

Gun Crazy

Hitchhiker

Scarlet Street

Basically Warner film noirs volumes 1-4 have a lot of great noir

I've requested them from Netflix. Thanks so much, DS :)

Trust me no one can replace Frank, but as far as suggestions go...I can come up with plenty

Out of the Past - already mentioned but it is a must - a definite must

His Kind of Woman

Crime Wave/Decoy

Born to Kill

Double Indemnity

This Gun for Hire

Black Angel

Message was edited by: dsclassic

Hi, Kimmy Kurtains -- I hope you and your family had a very Merry Christmas!

Yes, Frank, I made this thread especially for you.

:x

Because as of right now...I'm in desperate need of a good noir film; any suggestions, oh great noir master? Thanks

SCARLET STREET! It's my favorite film noir AND it's Fritz Lang.

I'm also curious to hear the opinion of some females on a film like Decoy. It's not a "polished" noir, but I just love Jean Gillie's "Margot Shelby." "Margot" is one of the greatest femmes fatale I have seen to date. No, I didn't say, "I seem to date." Stop that.

FYI, Dewey is the noir master around these parts. He's a true champion. I'm still in the learning stages. DSClassic is far ahead of me in noir right now, too. I highly doubt I could replace him. ;)

I'll get back to you with some more noir suggestions.

The Essentials -- A Baker's Dozen

Not all are necessarily among my favorites, but these are among the most acclaimed and provide a strong foundation for delving deeper into the darkened alley, the heart of darkness and "B" movies. Each movie on both of the following lists is available on Region 1 DVD.

*The Maltese Falcon* (Huston) -- Maybe not the first film noir, but arguably the first great one.

*Double Indemnity* (Wilder) -- Iconic Stanwyck, Everyman MacMurray, and the great Robinson. The Stanwyck-MacMurray relationship gets the ink, but the MacMurray-Robinson relationship is the heart of the movie.

*Laura* (Preminger)

*Murder, My Sweet* (Dmytryk)

*Detour* (Ulmer) -- Fate sticking its foot out + zero budget = classic.

*Out of the Past* (Tourneur)

*Gun Crazy* (Lewis) -- For my money, the great American Movie (i.e. made in the U.S., about the U.S.) after Citizen Kane. Guns, sex, violence. Romance, overt and covert. And, guns, sex, violence.

*Sunset Boulevard* (Wilder)

*The Big Heat* (Lang) -- Never have Gloria Grahame and Lee Marvin over for coffee.

*Kiss Me Deadly* (Aldrich)

*The Night of the Hunter* (Laughton) -- American Gothic meets film noir. The most beautiful film on this list. Iconic performances by Gish and Mitchum. Has any director who made only one film ever made a film as great as this?

*The Killing* (Kubrick)

*Touch of Evil* (Welles) -- A Genius walked among us and his name was Orson Welles. Even if he hadn't made Citizen Kane, this film is enough to put him in the pantheon. Too many incredible shots to list. His portrayal of Hank Quinlan ranks with Mitchum's Rev. Powell & Max Cady and Huston's Noah Cross, but adds a horribly frightening element: one is almost made to identify with him or, at least, have some understanding.

Some Personal Favorites

*T-Men* (Mann)

*Raw Deal* (Mann)

*He Walked by Night* (Mann, uncredited)

*The Black Book* aka *Reign of Terror* (Mann) -- These four have arguably the greatest collaboration in noir and one of the best in all film -- Anthony Mann & John Alton. Wonderful examples of Alton's dictum: It's not what you light; it's what you don't light.

*Angel Face* (Preminger)

*Fallen Angel* (Preminger)

*Where the Sidewalk Ends* (Preminger)

*Pickup on South Street* (Fuller)

*The Naked Kiss* (Fuller)

*Phantom Lady* (Siodmak)

*The Killers* (Siodmak)

*Scarlet Street* (Lang)

*The Woman in the Window* (Lang)

*Clash by Night* (Lang)

*Beyond a Reasonable Doubt* (Lang)

*While the City Sleeps* (Lang)

*Mildred Pierce* (Curtiz)

*The Set-Up* (Wise)

*Odds Against Tomorrow* (Wise)

*They Live by Night* (Ray)

*On Dangerous Ground* (Ray)

*The Big Sleep* (Hawks)

*The Lady From Shanghai* (Welles)

*Ace in the Hole* (Wilder)

*Black Angel* (Neill)

*Call Northside 777* (Hathaway)

*Kiss of Death* (Hathaway)

*The Big Combo* (Lewis)

*Crime Wave* (De Toth)

*Slightly Scarlet* (Dwan)

*The Reckless Moment* (Ophuls)

*Killer's Kiss* (Kubrick)

*Sweet Smell of Success* (MacKendrick)

*The Asphalt Jungle* (Huston)

*Key Largo* (Huston)

*Cape Fear* (Thompson)

*D.O.A.* (Mate)

*Kansas City Confidential* (Karlson)

*The Naked City* (Dassin)

*Night and the City* (Dassin)

*The Narrow Margin* (Fleischer)

*Nightmare Alley* (Goulding)

*Panic in the Street* (Kazan)

*The Third Man* (Reed) -- My token foreign film.

Hey, Chicagowen -- That's a fantastic listing of "must-see noir," ChiO. It's a wonderful "starter's kit" for Mrs. C. Your tastes are very much in line with mine, as you most assuredly know.

The only film I'd definitely want to add to your list would be Criss Cross. I'm also a big fan of This Gun for Hire.

Hiya, Mrs. Cooper -- So what kind of noirs are you interested in seeing? Do you want to see the biggest and the boldest? Do you want to see ones with a femme fatale?

I always suggest Laura to gals who are interested in film noir. I think it's a great starting point. Raw Deal and They Live by Night are two noirs that prominently feature female characters. I love both of those films. They Live by Night makes me cry. His Kind of Woman and Macao are also noirs that I believe women find very digestable.

How many of the films on ChiO's list have you seen? I know you watched The Woman in the Window. Any others? No need to be ashamed of not seeing certain titles. Be honest with us. Keep in mind, I have never seen some of the biggest titles in cinema history like Gone with the Wind. I've yet to see The Killers and Kiss Me Deadly, although I have the latter on DVD.

Criss Cross

crisscross1.jpg

This Gun for Hire

thisgunforhire1.jpg

*Not all are necessarily among my favorites, but these are among the most acclaimed and provide a strong foundation for delving deeper into the darkened alley, the heart of darkness and "B" movies.*

I like the way you think, ChiO, very smart.

*Woman in the Window* is also a personal favorite of mine; I've taken a strong liking to Eddy G. these past couple months -- he's a phenomenal actor with great depth; that's always a major plus.

*Scarlet Street (Lang)*

Hmmm, that title sounds vaguely familiar....

*Sunset Boulevard (Wilder)*

I never much cared for this one, and I never knew why. I realize now that it's because I dislike Gloria Swanson very much. I have the video, I may just have to force myself to watch it and appreciate the Noiriness the second time around.

Thanks so much for the very insightful and quite uniquely written list, ChiO.

*So what kind of noirs are you interested in seeing? Do you want to see the biggest and the boldest? Do you want to see ones with a femme fatale?*

I love films that dig deep -- with a lot of twists and turns; characters who have a darn good reason for being so hateful and give meaning to their actions; a script with spiteful comebacks, a razor-blade tongue and a passion -- maybe an obsession -- that drives them to the brink of madness. I hate psychotic films, where the character goes mental and just starts screaming for no reason other than it being written into the script. I didn't care for that in *They Drive by Night*, it's too stressful (especially on the ears).

I like a film with attitude, a unqiuely sinister plot and a myserious background, hiding aspects of the film, only releasing to the audience pieces at a time until it comes full frame and hits you like a brick wall. Powerful, bold and sharp.

*How many of the films on ChiO's list have you seen? I know you watched The Woman in the Window. Any others?*

I listed a few, in my previous reply. I hope I'll be able to find at least a couple clips on YouTube.

*No need to be ashamed of not seeing certain titles. Be honest with us. Keep in mind, I have never seen some of the biggest titles in cinema history like Gone with the Wind.*

YOU haven't seen *Gone with the Wind* and you got upset with ME for not seeing *It Happened One Night* ?! ...We'll have a talk about this, Frank. This isn't the end as far as I'm concerned...

Hey there, Mrs. Flown the Coop -- I love films that dig deep -- with a lot of twists and turns; characters who have a darn good reason for being so hateful and give meaning to their actions; a script with spiteful comebacks, a razor-blade tongue and a passion -- maybe an obsession -- that drives them to the brink of madness. I hate psychotic films, where the character goes mental and just starts screaming for no reason other than it being written into the script. I didn't care for that in They Drive by Night, it's too stressful (especially on the ears).

I like a film with attitude, a unqiuely sinister plot and a myserious background, hiding aspects of the film, only releasing to the audience pieces at a time until it comes full frame and hits you like a brick wall. Powerful, bold and sharp.

Sorry. I can't help you there. :P

Wow! Why do you have to write with such expressive beauty? Don't you ever consider the feelings of others? How is this here monkey supposed to respond to such lovely language? I ain't gotta shot.

Everything that you wrote suggests to me that you may actually love film noir. Your words make me believe you are gonna love the noir journey. Film noir ain't pretty yet it's gorgeous. You keepin' up?

Out of the Past is a must for you if you like "razor blade tongues." It's loaded with "bitey" dialogue.

I think Double Imdemnity will definitely fit the bill for you. You'll like Eddie G in it, too.

Clash by Night is a dialogue-driven film. It absolutely crackles. I don't consider it a "pure" noir, though. It's more of melodrama.

Detour features one of the scariest femmes fatale in history. She's not the "siren" type. Far from it.

Cape Fear (past the "true" noir period) and The Night of the Hunter feature Robert Mitchum at his horrifying best. I consider both films to be "horror" noirs. Mitch is a monster in each.

Scarlet Street is one of the tightest films I have ever seen. Everyone is playing everyone. It's quite genius. I think you may really like it since you mention your fondness for Eddie G. It's a great Eddie G film.

YOU haven't seen Gone with the Wind and you got upset with ME for not seeing It Happened One Night ?! ...We'll have a talk about this, Frank. This isn't the end as far as I'm concerned...

I GOT YOU!

Here's our little exchange:

YOU: I must be the only person who's never seen It Happened One Night

MOI: You have to be. I can't think of another person who would dare be on a classic film message board who would not have seen It Happened One Night. I'd be absolutely embarrassed if I were you. Have you ever seen Gone with the Wind? If you haven't, you REALLY should be embarrassed. I'd never associate with a person who hasn't seen either of those two films.

So who do you think I am referring to when I say, "I'd never associate with a person who hasn't seen It Happened One Night AND Gone with the Wind"? This person has a razor-blade tongue who will often drive you to the brink of madness. Are you screaming for no reason yet, Psychotic Lady? Now where's that rocker of yours? Hey, at least you didn't post any Coop chest hair on this thread yet. Don't you get any ideas, either.

Scarlet Street

scarletstreet1-1.jpg

Cape Fear

capefear3.jpg

Out of the Past

outofthepast1.jpg

Clash by Night

clashbynight1.jpg

Detour

detour1.jpg

The Night of the Hunter

nightofthehunter1.jpg

nightofthehunter2.jpg

*Everything that you wrote suggests to me that you may actually love film noir. Your words make me believe you are gonna love the noir journey. Film noir ain't pretty yet it's gorgeous. You keepin' up?*

Perfectly. ;)

*I GOT YOU!*

**Snaps fingers** Darn, ya' got me. Well, I'll catch you in a slipup someday, Frank. And I hope it won't literally be a slip -- we may have to have a looooong talk if it ever comes to that...

*So who do you think I am referring to when I say, "I'd never associate with a person who hasn't seen It Happened One Night AND Gone with the Wind"? This person has a razor-blade tongue who will often drive you to the brink of madness. Are you screaming for no reason yet, Psychotic Lady?*

Almost, just stay here with me a little longer, Frank, I feel a scream coming on...

*Now where's that rocker of yours?*

I'm sitting on it....now. t

*Hey, at least you didn't post any Coop chest hair on this thread yet. Don't you get any ideas, either.*

I was darn close....

I went to the library this weekend and checked out a few movies I thought someone had suggested to me a while back. Many of the films that are listed in this thread weren't available, but I picked up these instead:

Metropolis

Gaslight

The Third Man

Citizen Kane

What are your thoughts? thumbs_up.gif or thumbs_down.gif

I think you'll really like *Gaslight* because it's extremely dramatic and the acting is sensational. I am ashamed to admit I have yet to see Metropolis! *The Third Man* and *Citizen Kane* are true "must see" movies for any classic movie fan. I'll be intrigued to know what you think of them.

Hi MSG those you mentioned are must see, but certainly not must haves as I found out..

They are all good to see, but not necessarily to own ( there are those who feel that way) but it depends on your taste..not everyone likes those must see classics

I will take Manos the Hands of Fate over Citizen Kane :) LOL

Sick I know...:)

Message was edited by: dsclassic

Hi DSC, yes there are really strong opinions both ways on The Third Man and Citizen Kane and I confess I am somewhere in the middle about them both. However, I always enjoy seeing Orson Welles as an actor because he has such tremendous charisma and that sardonic humor I go for in a big way. "Big" being always an apt adjective for all things Orson. ;)

Metropolis -- Visually stunning. A good Lang to see before delving into Langian film noir. It tends to interest me less now than it used to, but a must-see. I would also recommend seeing either or both *Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler* and *Crimes of Dr. Mabuse* (my preference is the latter) and definitely M, a film that usually is in my Top Ten, as an introduction to Lang's U.S. films.

Gaslight -- Though I'm not a huge fan of either the 1940 or 1944 version, it is a good movie to see. The earlier one may have a slight edge for me because the latter has Charles Boyer (I prefer his brothers, Clete and Ken, for you baseball fans) and George Cukor. I do like Angela Lansbury and Joseph Cotten, however, in the latter.

The Third Man -- Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Welles may not have directed it, but it often looks like he did. And I happen to like Joseph Cotten's performance here, too.

Citizen Kane -- Sigh. The first time I saw it was in the early-'60s. I thought it was different than any movie I had seen and it instantly became my favorite movie. I try to watch it once or twice a year now. It has only improved with its age and my age. Some consider it the greatest movie of all time. They are probably right. It is the greatest movie I have ever seen. Jonathan Rosenbaum has two wonderful responses to the common criticism of Welles that he never made another Citizen Kane: (1) who needs a second Citizen Kane, one in a lifetime is enough, and (2) nobody else has made another Citizen Kane either. Revel in this one. Oh, and enjoy Joseph Cotten.

What's the score, Mrs. C? --

Metropolis

Gaslight

The Third Man

Citizen Kane

WOW! Any girl watching those films is hot, hot, hot. Can I come over? No, I promise to behave... at first.

I really can't wait to hear your thoughts on those films, Kimmy Kurtains.

I like all four films. The Third Man is my favorite of the bunch but Citizen Kane is definitely the best of the four. Yes, I'm one of those snobs who considers Kane to be the greatest film ever made. Metropolis is very good but it's hampered by missing scenes. It's one of Lang's best "architectural" films, a "true" mise-en-sc?ne film. I'm a big Ingrid Bergman and Joseph Cotten fan, and I love Angela Lansbury, so Gaslight happens to be one of my favorites. It's not as powerful a film as the other three, but its mainstream acceptance is much, much stronger. I think you'll like it. The other three will be interesting taste tests for you.

I hope you enjoy your Cotten candy! It's too bad you didn't rent Shadow of a Doubt too, because you would have earned a trip to the Cotten Club then.

**Snaps fingers** Darn, ya' got me. Well, I'll catch you in a slipup someday, Frank. And I hope it won't literally be a slip -- we may have to have a looooong talk if it ever comes to that...

You should see me in a slip. I look smashing. Maybe I'll wear that over to your place.

Hearing you speak so highly of Scarlet Street is now building up my interest. So it's #1 on my netflix queue.

Woo Hoo!

Guten tag, Miss G(erman Embarrassment) -- I am ashamed to admit I have yet to see Metropolis!

Sigh. I thought you would have at least seen this masterpiece by the best director not named Alfred Hitchcock or F.W. Murnau. Well, I'm now off to an Irish pub. I can't wait to tell those blokes who the three greatest directors of all time were, and to talk about the "Irish curse." It should be one helluva Pilgrimage for me.

yes there are really strong opinions both ways on The Third Man and Citizen Kane and I confess I am somewhere in the middle about them both.

TRANSLATION: I don't like either of them but I'm biting my tongue. :P Hey, fancy meeting you here at an Irish pub. What a shock! I guess since you're not in Dublin, you decided to scope the Irishmen here. If you wanna slap me later on, I'll be the bloodied fella in the roost, begging Ivy to go on a date with me. By the way, nice coat.

Hey, ChiO the Man -- You, sir, have phenomenal taste. Ohh, but you already know that. You're a Fuller Mann.

(I prefer his brothers, Clete and Ken, for you baseball fans)

;)

Metropolis

metropolis1.jpg

The Third Man

thirdman3.jpg

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler

mabuse2.jpg

mabuse1.jpg

*Can I come over? No, I promise to behave... at first.*

If you can find your way in the cold, the doors will be wide open. :)

*You should see me in a slip. I look smashing. Maybe I'll wear that over to your place.*

You must wear something more than just a slip, otherwise I'd get a liiiiiittle embarrassed. Put on one of those beautiful silk gowns, I'm sure you'll look twice as smashing in that. ;)

*I love Angela Lansbury, so Gaslight happens to be one of my favorites*

I hope Theresa knows about this. She fancies Angela Lansbury something fierce, so she's been trying to steer me toward some of her films. I can't wait to watch this one so I can tell Theresa that I finally watched an Angela Lansbury film, aside from...**ahem** ....*The Court Jester*

**Kicks the dirt and mumbles as she looks down, clearing her throat and giving an awkward chuckle out of embarrassement.** Heh, I have a weakness for Danny Kaye, was can I say?

Ar labu nakti, Mrs. C -- Can I come over? No, I promise to behave... at first.

If you can find your way in the cold, the doors will be wide open.

That sounds warm and comfy. You're not going to trick me and make me watch Danny Kaye films are you? If you are, you better have On the Riviera on a loop.

You should see me in a slip. I look smashing. Maybe I'll wear that over to your place.

You must wear something more than just a slip, otherwise I'd get a liiiiiittle embarrassed. Put on one of those beautiful silk gowns, I'm sure you'll look twice as smashing in that.

A silk gown? Ooohhhh, that would be delightful! It's the most perfect dresswear for cold winter nights... like tonight.

I love Angela Lansbury, so Gaslight happens to be one of my favorites

I hope Theresa knows about this.

Ummmmmm, maybe. The Angela I love isn't necessarily the Angela she loves, though.

She fancies Angela Lansbury something fierce, so she's been trying to steer me toward some of her films. I can't wait to watch this one so I can tell Theresa that I finally watched an Angela Lansbury film, aside from...**ahem** ....The Court Jester

Angela is on the cute side in Gaslight. It's her first film. She was only 18-years-old.

O?che mhaith, Miss Blarney -- Why do you think I cancelled my trip to Dublin?

The Irish curse?

manchuriancandidate1.jpg

Labvakar, Fritz Langian!

*That sounds warm and comfy. You're not going to trick me and make me watch Danny Kaye films are you? If you are, you better have On the Riviera on a loop.*

Oh yes sir, that's definitely a must... ;)

*A silk gown? Ooohhhh, that would be delightful! It's the most perfect dresswear for cold winter nights... like tonight.*

Well, I heard you didn't like layers, so I thought a silk gown would fit more to your liking, Princess Michelin.

*Ummmmmm, maybe. The Angela I love isn't necessarily the Angela she loves, though.*

Never is. We may all like the same people or films, but our reasonings are always different. It spices things up a bit, wouldn't you say?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings