Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

trying to find out the name of the movie with this stroyline

teri53

I remember seeing a movie years ago, and would like to know the name of the movie.The scene was a family moved into a new town, the townspeople did not welcome them, but later on a storm came washed out the bridge the parents could not get to their children and all the children had to stay at this family's home.

One of the children was lost in the storm and the father of this family went out and found the boy. Of course when the storm was over the next day all was well with townspeople and the family was now welcomed. This is all I remember, I thought it was "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream Home" because this family had two girls also, but I am not sure they had it built, and I thought the lead characte was played by Cary Grant.

thanks for your help

efffie53

Message was edited by: teri53

That plot does sound similar toMR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE, but differs in that I don't remember the child being rescued part. I also don't remember the complication about the family being unwelcome. There were many other problems the family faced, however, including difficulty drilling a well, having to demolish the old house and start over, and Melvyn Douglas hanging around Grant and wife Myrna Loy, flirting with her all the time. There was a storm, too, but I thought there was conflict surrounding the Loy-Douglas relationship and Cary suspecting hanky-panky when they were stranded during it. Anyway, this is all my fuzzy memory can come up with. Hey TCM, how about airing it again so we can figure this out!

Thanks, I was hoping no one would think I was making this up. However, I just saw Mr. Blandings'... last week on TCM, so that's not the movie. My memory is hazy as well, but now, as I sit here, going over it again, I do recall, maybe boyscouts, or something like that, anywy, all of the children were returning from somewhere, when the storm started and they all ran to the house, the mother was counting the children, and discovered one missing, the father,(the lead character) went to look for him, and found him in the yard, or garden, he had fallen because he wore leg braces, and they were caught in the bushes. The children sat on the staircase waiting for the father to return with the little boy.

I hope someone out there can help us figure this one out. It was years ago, but that scene is still on my mind. Mr. Blandings' Dreamhouse was a light, wonderful classic Cary Grant, Myrna Loy humor, and this movie was a little more on the serious side, not heavy, heavy drama, but with some humorous scenes.

teri53

Hi Sandy, thanks for your help. I think this movie was set in the middle to late 40's or early 50's. it was a black and white.

Now let me tell you something that might help. I saw a movie with Lionel Barrymore playing an old doctor returning to a town after the death of his wife and he had a young son, the people were poor and paid him with trade i.e. chickens, eggs, vegetables, etc. well one of his patients dies while giving birth and the father was angry because it was not a boy, he told the old doc to "keep it, Idon't need a girl".

Well the doc did keep her, and he hired a nanny to help with infant and they raise her until her father comes back after he's remarried and takes her home,. . . a month later, I'm watching a late night movie and here it is, the same storyline, different actors, a slight variations here or there, but a different title, different names.

So, I'm thinking, could this be the same with my movie, a plot switch with slight variation in scenes, but the same title? Maybe something "Mr. Blandings' Dreamhome", or "Mr. Blandings take a Vacation" or. . .?

teri53

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings