Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

KING OF KINGS Of De Mille

The parish priest I knew as a child, Father Gallo, was the best preacher I ever met, and he loved to quote all sorts of sources. Once he mentioned a movie of Christ where, in the episode of the woman taken in adultery, the words He wrote in the sand spoke the truth about her accusers. I knew it was not Wyler's BEN-HUR or any other I had seen, so I wondered for several decades what movie Father Gallo alluded to. When I saw that scene in de Mille's KING OF KINGS I was so happy--and even happier today--my sixty third birthday--because TCM is making me a gift of showing the movie at an early hour.

• Like 1

I recorded the silent version several years ago from TCM Sunday Silent Nights.  Like the way DeMille shot and portrayed Christ.  He sort of made the first "New Testament on film (video)".  Only biblical passages no extra dialogue on the title cards.

Like to know how did he done the SFX of having Christ with the slight glow or aura that stood out in the movie?

King-of-Kings-Jesus-Children.jpg

Like to know how did he done the SFX of having Christ with the slight glow or aura that stood out in the movie?

I wondered about that, as well. It was very effective.

I've always loved H.B. Warner, too. He always seemed so gentle.

Wszystkiego Najlepzego Zokazji Z Urodzin  too, pal!  ;)

I first saw this one back when I was about 13-14 when BILL KENNEDY showed it on one of his Sunday afternoon movie presentations.  I tuned in mainly to see the difference between IT and the 1961 JEFFERY HUNTER movie I was more familiar with. 

But since at that time we still had a B&W TV set, I didn't see any technicolor scene until years later when TCM showed it.

And I STILL have trouble wrapping my head around our Savior being portrayed by Mr. Gower the druggist.  ;)

Sepiatone

This story has been filmed so many times  The most spectacular was 1961's with Jeffery Hunter.  The most unwatchable was Mel Gibson's, but the one I love the best and it always brings me to tears  is the silent with H B Warner.  It is like looking back in time as to how it actually was.

I recorded the silent version several years ago from TCM Sunday Silent Nights.  Like the way DeMille shot and portrayed Christ.  He sort of made the first "New Testament on film (video)".  Only biblical passages no extra dialogue on the title cards.

King-of-Kings-Jesus-Children.jpg

Tightly focused lights above and behind him.  During tech rehearsal they likely made an "X" on the floor with tape and told him to stand right there.  In this scene there were probably bright beams of light cast on either side of the camera.  For moving scenes some of it may have been done with follow spots.  For a halo effect, lens filters.

• Like 1

Tightly focused lights above and behind him.  During tech rehearsal they likely made an "X" on the floor with tape and told him to stand right there.  In this scene there were probably bright beams of light cast on either side of the camera.  For moving scenes some of it may have been done with follow spots.  For a halo effect, lens filters.

Ah! Now see THIS would be the advantage of being a gaffer or lighting technician on a movie set that's about Mohammed.

'Cause ya can't show the titular character on-screen, the lighting on him would never be a concern!

(...irreverent, ain't I)