Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BRING THESE TWO CLASSIC CHRISTMAS SHOWS TO TCM

bewitched

TVLand has the rights to broadcast I Love Lucy through 2008. Starting in 2009 it seems you'll have to get your Lucy fix courtesy of the Hallmark Channel:

http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/11/28/hallmark-buys-i-love-lucy-cheers-7th-heaven/

You might want to pester one of them about Red Skelton as they're in the business of rebroadcasting classic television shows.

Di

Something that could definitely find a home on TCM around holiday time would be "Truman Capote's Trilogy," which was directed by Frank Perry ("David and Lisa").

Comprised of three segments (hence the title), Geraldine Page appears in both "A Christmas Memory" and "The Thanksgiving Visitor," which are based on Capote's very celebrated short stories. Page won an Emmy Award for her outstanding, indelibly moving turn in "Christmas..."

I believe Maureen Stapleton stars in the third, non-holiday themed episode.

The specials have a long and unusual history - first airing on ABC in the late 60's (I believe "A Christmas Memory" first aired in '66) they were briefly circulated in a substandard VHS incarnation (in black and white instead of color) by VideoYesterYear. "A Christmas Memory" resurfaced on PBS and a couple of times on ABC in the late 80's and then drifted into obscurity again.

You'd think after Truman Capote had a major multi media "Renaissance" with not one but two feature films produced about him that there would be more interest in dusting off the specials - particularly to experience Page's masterful portrayal of Capote's dotty Aunt Sook.

One Last Note (and someone correct me if I'm wrong)...The specials were later re-edited into a theatrical film by Perry and this spawned a very remarkable companion book (which I recall vividly even though I haven't seen it in many years).

Someone with something going on upstairs should really look into getting these back into release in some form. "A Christmas Memory," without question, is one of the most poignant things I've ever seen in my life.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings