Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gerald Mohr

Mohrfan

I am a fan of the late Gerald Mohr and run a website in his memory and appreciation. Should any reader wish to discuss with me anything about him, please feel free to post a comment and I'll be delighted to reply. He currently features in the film "Dragonfly Squadron" being repeated by TCM on a regular basis, but I remember him best as a TV Western baddie.

Mohr may have been shortchanged in pictures but he was ubiquitous on radio! From starring in his own series (such as PHILIP MARLOWE) to doing innumerable guest shots and being in the stock company of anthology shows, Mohr's voice was probably heard by more people than Bing Crosby's!

As a 30 year CBS veteran, I especially got a kick out of Mohr's performance as Bill Paley on THE JACK BENNY PROGRAM (esp. the Race Track show).

Mohr was to radio what Tris Coffin was to serials!

PS did you ever notice his trademark "er..eh.." ?? He had a signature way of sliding into a line of dialogue. What a smoothie.

Thanks for your comments! The write-up on the TCM Database is a copy of his English Wikipedia site, which I have had a considerable hand in editing and amending for veracity. Also the picture on his Wikipedia site is mine, which I have uploaded. Similarly, I have worked on his IMDb site, again adding a photo of him, unmentioned shows and correcting character names, etc. View my website in his memory and honour on www.lindawood.bravehost.com. It has a more detailed biography with facts you will not know about him. Enjoy!

Thanks for your comments. Re his CBS radio shows, OTRCAT.com are going to bring out an anthology of his works in the New Year. They also have most of his Philip Marlowe shows on MP3 CD - well worth the money, I can assure you! Surprisingly (for me!) I was not conscious of his er ... ah habit, but now you come to mention it yes! I love the sound of his voice, be he baddie or goodie and of course, for us girls, a very handsome man, too. One of America's best-ever character actors, in my humble opinion. View my website in his honour and memory on www.lindawood.bravehost.com. Lots of extras therein. I have never heard his Jack Benny shows and would be very interested in them. I live in the UK, so do not have ready access to American items.

Hi, Cashette! Yes, the role of Tami Giacopetti was a pivotal one in "Detective Story" and he made a powerful impact in his scenes. Kept wondering why Eleanor Parker was daft enough to shun him after having his baby in preference of the neurotic Kirk Douglas character! No contest, I would have said! "Funny Girl" was his last film, made a few months before his death.

Thanks for your comments. The TCM Database comments are a direct copy from his Wikipedia site, in which I had a considerable hand. "The Angry Red Planet" was a "Forbidden Planet" pre-Star Trek Science Fiction movie which might have been scary in these days but now is good fun to watch. Invasion USA is unique, to say the least! A real period piece, but at least Mr Mohr was the hero (as he was in "The Angry Red Planet", of course!).

There is quite a nice writeup on Mohr in the TCM database. I didn't realize he was the voice of so many animated characters I watched. I remember him from RED PLANET MARS and INVASION USA (which is better left alone!).

Peter Graves and Andrea King starred in THE RED PLANET MARS (1952); Mohr starred in THE ANGRY RED PLANET (1960).

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings