Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As Christmas draws near, what heartwarming scenes do you cherish?

musicfan

I cherish the Heartwarming song sung by a well-known character actor at Christmas time in "Remember the Night". I cherish the romantic scenes between Pamela Britan and Frank Sinatra in "Anchors Aweigh". I cherish tender scenes between Deanna Durbin and her pretend Father in "Mad about Music". I cherish the "Meet me in St, Louie" number sung by a young girl and her Grandfather in the beginning of "Meet me in St. Louis". I cherish Jimmy Sterward's misty-eyed and crying scenes in "It's a wonderful life. I cherish the The Alan Jones Scenes (and song) at the close of "Showboat" (1936); I cherish the romantic scenes and the dancing duets in "An American in Paris" and "The Sky's the Limit". I cherish the misty eyes that occured while Deanna Durbin sang the very moving and poignant "Love is All" in "It's a date". I cherish the Love Scenes in "The Clock" (1945). I cherish Judy Garland's Pignant eyes in "Listen Darling". I cherish Tom Drakes love Scenes in "Meet me in St. Louis." I cherish the coming back home scenes of Gordon Macrae at the end of "Carosel". I cherish all the Debera Kerr Scenes in "Separate Tables".(1958).

On television, I cherish the Lawerence Welk Chrismas Duets and dances; The 1950's and early 60's Chrismas scenes from the best of Perry Como Vol. 1; The Christmas scenes between Chuck Connors and Johnnny Crawford in "The Rifeleman".

What are some of your special tender scenes?

Message was edited by: musicfan

Maybe the most special is at the end of "It's A Wonderful Life." Also, similarly, "A Christmas Carol."

Through both stories, though for different reasons, their lives are transformed. What has been their burden, their sorrow, their perspective is not just changed but completely replaced. By having been shown the mistake of their attitude they are now joyful.

The thought is planted that maybe there is hope for us - or at least those who see life the same way as the characters.

I always cherish the scene in "Miracle on 34th Street" where Santa speaks Dutch to the little girl and then they sing their song. It always brings tears to my eyes :) I also really love Judy Garland singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" to Margaret O'Brien in Meet Me In St Louis. Imo no one sings that song better than her. "Count Your Blessings" from White Christmas is another favorite. The song is so pretty.

Great idea for a thread.

I so agree with you, Shasta, about "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." Like "Over the Rainbow," it's oft covered, but never rendered as well as by Garland.

I grew up with a swingin' recording of Lou Rawls singing it, and Ella does the same thing. They usually replace the line, "until then we'll have to muddle through somehow" with "hang a shining star upon the highest bough," and it's nice, but diminishes all the pathos of the song as originally rendered. And--like "I'll Be Home for Christmas"--think what the lyrics meant to servicemen separated from their families during World War II.

Can you identify a heartwarming Christmas song I heard on the radio? It was sung by Kermit the frog of the Muppets. In the song he offered a prayer, and part of the song went "....and peace on earth will last throughout the year." Was it from "The Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie"? What is the name of the song?

I heard that some singers regularly change some of the lyrics to to the classic "Meet me in St. Louis" song "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas". I heard that they delete "until then, we will have to muddle through some how" and add replace it with something like "place a shinning star high upon the bow"--is this true? If this is true--this changes completely the signifigance of the song. And thats a shame!

Another couple of movies that had some very heartwarming and poignant scenes are:

"Rythum on the Range" (1936) and "Pennies from Heaven" (1936).

Francis Farmer from "Rythum on the Range was especially poignant and moving. More so the even Judy Garland was in some of her greatest movies.

Have a blessing filled Christmas everyone!!

I believe that you heard the song "The Christmas Wish" from the Christmas cd "A Christmas Together" by John Denver and the Muppets. It was not from a Muppet movie or tv show, it was a special album collaboration between John Denver and Jim Henson. It's a wonderful cd; one of my favorites. I've had mine for several years, but I've seen it for sale and Borders, Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, etc.

Sandy K

I heard that some singers regularly change some of the lyrics to to the classic "Meet me in St. Louis" song "Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas".

I've read all three versions separately, but I just found all of them on one webpage:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1569872,00.html

ORIGINAL VERSION

Have yourself a merry little Christmas

It may be your last

Next year we may all be living in the past

Pop that champagne cork

Next year we may all be living in New York

No good times like the olden days

Happy golden days of yore

Faithful friends who were dear to us

Will be near to us no more

But at least we all will be together

If the Lord allows

From now on, we'll have to muddle through somehow

So have yourself a merry little Christmas now

JUDY GARLAND (MMISL) VERSION

Let your heart be light

Next year all our troubles will be out of sight

Make the yuletide gay

Next year all our troubles will be miles away

Once again as in olden days

Faithful friends who were dear to us

Will be near to us once more

Someday soon we all will be together

If the fates allow

Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow

So have yourself a merry little Christmas now

FRANK SINATRA VERSION

Let your heart be light

From now on, our troubles will be out of sight

Make the yuletide gay

From now on, our troubles will be miles away

Here we are as in olden days

Faithful friends who are dear to us

Gather near to us once more

Through the years we all will be together

If the fates allow

Hang a shining star upon the highest bough

And have yourself a merry little Christmas now

I think the MMISL version was plenty sad enough, but the original would have killed me. The happy version, though it's the most-recorded, never did anything for me.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings