Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2018 Star of the Month Predictions/Hopes

Pat O'Brien.  It's amazing that he hasn't been a SOTM in all these years.  A key player in the classic era in both leading and supporting roles, O'Brien's career spanned 50 years and nearly 100 films. I know he stood in the shadow of Cagney, Bogart, Davis and Robinson at Warner Brothers but he truly deserves to have his moment in the spotlight as SOTM one of these days.

Lydecker

• Like 2

Three words. Douglas. Fairbanks. Jr.

TCM has a lot of his films in their library, and he has never been SOTM. (He had a SUTS day two years ago.) Plus, he is long overdue for SOTM.

Annex%20-%20Fairbanks%20Jr.,%20Douglas_0

Great photo. Selecting him would mean a fair amount of precodes on the schedule.

• Like 3

Yeah, dont hold your breath. Dont get why they continue to ignore Davies. THey have access to most of her films. The sound ones at least.

Davies has had two Summer Stars tributes. Along with all the talkies (other than It's a Wise Child), they have licenses for The Red Mill, The Patsy, Show People, The Bride's Play, Enchantment, and When Knighthood Was in Flower. Not sure about Quality Street. There's also the recently restored version of Beauty's Worth available. That's more than 20 films.

fjozef.jpg

• Like 2

I would love for more Fox stars to be SOTM's, but I dont think there's a high chance of that (outside of say, M.M.) Would love to see Linda get one.

It would be nice to showcase some important Universal stars besides Rock Hudson and Frankenstein (Deanna Durbin, Audie Murphy, Tony Curtis, Yvonne De Carlo, Jeff Chandler, or even Abbott & Costello). Have we ever had a Universal contract player honored during Summer Under the Stars? They deserve a bit more exposure on TCM.

I'd also like to see a month-long spotlight on Douglas Sirk who made many great films at Universal.

• Like 2

It would be nice to showcase some important Universal stars besides Rock Hudson and Frankenstein (Deanna Durbin, Audie Murphy, Tony Curtis, Yvonne De Carlo, Jeff Chandler, or even Abbott & Costello). Have we ever had a Universal contract player honored during Summer Under the Stars? They deserve a bit more exposure on TCM.

I'd also like to see a month-long spotlight on Douglas Sirk who made many great films at Universal.

Tony Curtis would make an excellent choice. Curtis was honored with a primetime spotlight this summer, but I believe he has enough films for SOTM. One night could be his films with Janet Leigh, one night could be his classics, etc.

I know I mentioned this in another thread, but if anyone deserves another time as SOTM, it's Robert Young. He was SOTM in 1995 but hasn't been SOTM again or has had a SUTS tribute since. (Young and Anthony Perkins are currently the only SOTM honorees who have never been selected for SUTS. I wonder what the reasoning behind that is.)

Young is also one of those stars TCM ignores. I know TCM has their favorites that get every tribute possible handed to them on a silver platter (John Wayne, Cary Grant, etc.), but the "popular kids" of TCM should step aside once in awhile.

fatherknowsbest-sized.jpg

• Like 3

Lee Tracy.

tracy.jpg

I love watching this actor with his gattling gun delivery and smart **** attitude. Tracy could play comedy and he could play drama and anything in between. And TCM has been able to show a lot of his films from his pre code period before his career decline began.

Tracy was a solid performer, primarily starred in small budget productions but, on occasion, mixing it up with the big boys in a prestige "A". Look at his contribution to the all-star Dinner at Eight, playing the agent of ham actor Larry Renault (John Barrymore). The scene in which Tracy finally lashes into Barrymore, dissecting his appearance ('You sag like a woman') and his diminished acting skills is cringe worthy because of the vindictiveness of Tracy's delivery of brilliant dialogue.

Blessed Event, The Half Naked Truth, The Nuisance, The Strange Love of Molly Louvain, Clear All Wires, Doctor X, all from the pre code period have been shown, all worth a look. Of course TCM has also shown, on occasion, Tracy's last film, The Best Man, for which he got a supporting Oscar nomination playing the President of the U.S..

I would like to put in a special plug, too, for four rare pre code Tracy films that, to put it mildly, are a challenge to find:

Big Timer 1929

Night Mayor 1932 (based on Jimmy Walker)

Private Jones 1933

Lemon Drop Kid 1934 (possibly still locked away because of the Bob Hope remake)

Lee Tracy, definitely worthy of SOTM, particularly since this little remembered actor's films would be an introduction to so many.

• Like 2

Looking at the past two years, half the selections are repeats. There are ten chosen each year:

2016:

January: Fred MacMurray

February: 31 Days of Oscar

March: Merle Oberon

April: Judy Garland (repeat)

May: Robert Ryan (repeat)

June: Marie Dressler

July: Olivia de Havilland (repeat)

August: Summer Under the Stars

September: Gene Hackman

October: Christopher Lee
November: Natalie Wood (repeat)

December: Myrna Loy (repeat...chosen by the TCM Backlot members)

2017:

January: Jane Wyman (repeat)

March: Richard Burton

April: Character actors

May: Clark Gable (repeat)

June: Audrey Hepburn (repeat)

July: Ronald Colman

September: Jennifer Jones

October: Anthony Perkins
November: James Stewart (repeat)

December: Lana Turner (repeat...chosen by the TCM Backlot members)

Looking at the past two years, half the selections are repeats. There are ten chosen each year:

2016:

January: Fred MacMurray

March: Merle Oberon

April: Judy Garland (repeat)

May: Robert Ryan (repeat)

June: Marie Dressler

July: Olivia de Havilland (repeat)

September: Gene Hackman

October: Christopher Lee

November: Natalie Wood (repeat)

December: Myrna Loy (repeat...chosen by the TCM Backlot members)

2017:

January: Jane Wyman (repeat)

March: Richard Burton

April: Character actors

May: Clark Gable (repeat)

June: Audrey Hepburn (repeat)

July: Ronald Colman

September: Jennifer Jones

October: Anthony Perkins

November: James Stewart (repeat)

December: Lana Turner (repeat...chosen by the TCM Backlot members)

While I agree with Arturo's comment  related to SOTM:  "Better someone not yet honored than going again with a previous choice.",  it appears TCM programmers prefers "repeats".     

• Like 1

While I agree with Arturo's comment  related to SOTM:  "Better someone not yet honored than going again with a previous choice.",  it appears TCM programmers prefers "repeats".     

And some of these repeats will definitely be repeated. We know Audrey Hepburn and Clark Gable will be honored again.

My concern is that stars from Universal, Paramount and Republic get short shrift. (I'm not including Fox because Fox players do get feted for Summer Under the Stars.)

And it would be nice to have a few more crossover British actors honored. I'd love to see Stewart Granger get his due. He had a long and successful career on both sides of the Pond.

Yes, it's cheaper that way. Esp if they are MGM or WB stars. You can count on one, maybe two newbies per year.............

And some of these repeats will definitely be repeated. We know Audrey Hepburn and Clark Gable will be honored again.

My concern is that stars from Universal, Paramount and Republic get short shrift. (I'm not including Fox because Fox players do get feted for Summer Under the Stars.)

And it would be nice to have a few more crossover British actors honored. I'd love to see Stewart Granger get his due. He had a long and successful career on both sides of the Pond.

As well as foreign film stars..........

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

I know I mentioned this in another thread, but if anyone deserves another time as SOTM, it's Robert Young. He was SOTM in 1995 but hasn't been SOTM again or has had a SUTS tribute since. (Young and Anthony Perkins are currently the only SOTM honorees who have never been selected for SUTS. I wonder what the reasoning behind that is.)

Young is also one of those stars TCM ignores. I know TCM has their favorites that get every tribute possible handed to them on a silver platter (John Wayne, Cary Grant, etc.), but the "popular kids" of TCM should step aside once in awhile.

fatherknowsbest-sized.jpg

Are you sure??? I remember him as SOTM and I dont think I was getting TCM in 95....

Here's another vote for lovely Linda Darnell

lindadarnell12.jpg

A significant star of the 1940s and one of movies' great beauties, she grew as an actress from her early charming ingenue roles to playing hard bitten cynical women and vamps by the middle of the decade. And, boy, could she be sexy!

Besides all that Arturo has been plugging away at a tribute thread to her since 2012 and, after nearly five years, he still hasn't given up! If there's any justice in this crazy world his unyielding effort should not go unrewarded. So give the guy a break, will ya, TCM, and have a SOTM tribute to his favourite lady, an actress who appeared in more than her fair share of good films for the fans.

• Like 4