Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The worst movie I have ever seen!

I had the misfortune of being dragged to see Darren Aronofsky's MOTHER last weekend. Right now, and I suspect for a very long time, quite possibly forever, it will go down as the worst movie I will ever see!

Thank God for TCM! After that awful experience I had to watch a number of movies, films I've seen many times, just to get the stench out of my nose and the memory of it out of my head.

TCM - The perfect antidote to the night terrors I experienced from horrific story telling.

Yancey

• Like 2

I have not seen the film, but I do know this much, I have hated what I heard about it and all. The ending in particular, but also the offensive allegory. the film's director, Darren Arnofsky, is a sledgehammer director. Black Swan is the only film I have seen of his, and while i found it well-done, I knew what type of film it was going in, a psychological picture of someone going off the rails.

What is particularly irritating for me with this film is that there are several very talented people starring in it and they deserve a lot better than this. (Particuarly referring to Michelle Pfeiffer, Jennifer Lawrence, Domhnall Gleeson, and Ed Harris)

Well if sledgehammer movie making is anyone's thing than MOTHER is the perfect choice. 

All that talent, you're right, so sad.  Michelle Pfeiffer's character is so completely annoying from the moment she appears it's a wonder Ed Harris' character wouldn't be celebrating his impending demise. Javier Bardem's talent is so wasted in this film a lesser actor's career might never recover.

Out of friendship I didn't walk out of the picture but it's as close as I ever came to doing so.

My biggest argument against the film is wondering what great scripts got put on a shelf to make this piece of (----). To be honest calling it (----) gives (----) a bad name!

Yancey

I had the misfortune of being dragged to see Darren Aronofsky's MOTHER last weekend. Right now, and I suspect for a very long time, quite possibly forever, it will go down as the worst movie I will ever see!

The idea that we were lured in by the marketing to see a Rosemary-style "horror movie", only to be given an insanely over-the-top and director-indulgent Aronofsky art-piece "allegory of man's relationship with Mother Earth"--

The audience reaction's almost been like that old SCTV Count Floyd sketch, where the horror host aired a movie titled "Whisper of the Wolf" sight-unseen thinking it was a horror movie, and discovered it was a weird/ridiculous Ingmar Bergman art-piece instead...."What the hell was that?  Who picked that this week??" :lol:

• Like 2

The idea that we were lured in by the marketing to see a Rosemary-style "horror movie", only to be given an insanely over-the-top and director-indulgent Aronofsky art-piece "allegory of man's relationship with Mother Earth"--

The audience reaction's almost been like that old SCTV Count Floyd sketch, where the horror host aired a movie titled "Whisper of the Wolf" sight-unseen thinking it was a horror movie, and discovered it was a weird/ridiculous Ingmar Bergman art-piece instead...."What the hell was that?  Who picked that this week??" :lol:

How I long for Doctor Tongue's 3D House of Stewardesses!

• Like 1

Well if sledgehammer movie making is anyone's thing than MOTHER is the perfect choice. 

All that talent, you're right, so sad.  Michelle Pfeiffer's character is so completely annoying from the moment she appears it's a wonder Ed Harris' character wouldn't be celebrating his impending demise. Javier Bardem's talent is so wasted in this film a lesser actor's career might never recover.

Out of friendship I didn't walk out of the picture but it's as close as I ever came to doing so.

My biggest argument against the film is wondering what great scripts got put on a shelf to make this piece of (----). To be honest calling it (----) gives (----) a bad name!

LOL! Sounds terrific, Yancey! I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience, but from what I've read, it's not too surprising. The (very small) fanbase of this type of movie doesn't have a lot of crossover with the TCM crowd, I would think. I haven't seen it, but I want to even more now!  :lol:

Regardless of how bad it may end up being, I'm certain it won't be the worst movie I've ever seen. Whenever this topic comes up, most of the responses make me think, "If that is the worst movie you've ever seen, count yourself very lucky." But then again, I actively seek out cinematic atrocities, so my frame of reference may be a bit different. 

• Like 1

LOL! Sounds terrific, Yancey! I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience, but from what I've read, it's not too surprising. The (very small) fanbase of this type of movie doesn't have a lot of crossover with the TCM crowd, I would think. I haven't seen it, but I want to even more now!  :lol:

It's the type of movie you'll see once just to see it. The kind of movie the Criterion Collection will feel compelled to make a 3 disc deluxe edition ten years down the line.

• Like 1

Thank God for TCM! After that awful experience I had to watch a number of movies, films I've seen many times, just to get the stench out of my nose and the memory of it out of my head.

TCM - The perfect antidote to the night terrors I experienced from horrific story telling.

Yancey

I'm going to see Mother next week, at my new local movie theater.  I thought Aronofsky's Requiem for a Dream was a great film, but a difficult, unpleasant one. I'm assuming that Mother might be similarly difficult to watch.  For me, the worst movie ever made is Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

I'm going to see Mother next week, at my new local movie theater.  I thought Aronofsky's Requiem for a Dream was a great film, but a difficult, unpleasant one. I'm assuming that Mother might be similarly difficult to watch.  For me, the worst movie ever made is Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

Swithin -

Hopefully it will still be playing there! :>)

I look forward to reading your response once you've seen it. Please let us know.

For me Brazil was enjoyable. I was constantly intrigued by the film making and the performances. I never felt like walking out. I admit I am open to enjoying anything Terry Gilliam might attempt.

I know I've said some pretty horrible things about MOTHER but I truly believe if this was Aronofsky's first film he'd never get a second chance.

Yancey

Imagine the worst Requiem gave you and multiply the horror twentyfold. From what I read, this is an apocalyptic religious allegory that might start like Rosemary's Baby, but quickly delves into something far more disturbing and barbaric with sights on screen never imagined to be possible to be shown before in a major studio film. PM me if you want details to prepare yourself with. But I warn you, its barbaric.

You'll be excited to hear that a sequel to that is due soon! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_Skyline

As for the first one, it wasn't as bad as Independence Day: Resurgence, and it cost a lot less.

That alien queen was a bit too BIG.  The mother ship the size of the Atlantic Ocean is really stretching it. :wacko:

Thanks for the warning on the Skyline sequel, it can't fix why they are here to begin with.

• Like 2

I saw mother! last weekend, and while I didn't particularly care for it, there was certainly some stuff about it that was interesting and ambitious. Worst movie of all time? Why do people always want to attach that label to artsy movies that are at least trying to do something different? I mean, isn't there a one billion movie tie for worst movie of all time among all the generic lazy drek that comes out every weekend? mother! is really worse than American Ninja 6 or whatever? There's a weird hatred of intellectualism among most Americans that has always bugged me. At least mother! makes you think a little bit. God forbid you should have to work out your brain while watching a movie.

• Like 1

I saw mother! last weekend, and while I didn't particularly care for it, there was certainly some stuff about it that was interesting and ambitious. Worst movie of all time? Why do people always want to attach that label to artsy movies that are at least trying to do something different? I mean, isn't there a one billion movie tie for worst movie of all time among all the generic lazy drek that comes out every weekend? mother! is really worse than American Ninja 6 or whatever? There's a weird hatred of intellectualism among most Americans that has always bugged me. At least mother! makes you think a little bit. God forbid you should have to work out your brain while watching a movie.

What you wrote for some may be true but not for me. Nothing pleases me more than seeing a movie that makes me think. Raising questions I may not have considered or that I might contemplate for several days afterward. A good movie should do that.

I don't go to a film like AMERICAN NINJA 6 or 16 to think. I go to forget my troubles, to be entertained.  There's plenty of room for those movies. And when I see what I call a popcorn movie I'm not expecting much above its inherent level. If it's bad so be it. I knew what I was getting myself in for. Hopefully, like seeing BABY DRIVER, I can have a laugh or two but I'm not going to leave there thinking about man's inhumanity to man. Nor do I expect the film makers were hoping for that.

But yes, MOTHER is worse than AMERICAN NINJA 6, way worse because it purports to be about something. AMERICAN NINJA 6 does not. It also comes with the notion that it is trying to rise above the other movies that weekend as good film making. Something tangible that is supposed to elevate the art form by informing the viewer. Again, no one, not even the director or writers of AMERICAN NINJA 6 expect to do that. They want to entertain and hopefully make a few bucks in the process.  I've got no problem with that.

If a film is an egocentric piece of trash, from an out of control director, that fails at it's core to at least entertain when delivering it's purported message then, yes, it's a total failure. I appreciate different and ambitious. I recently saw a short high school film made for 50 dollars that was different and ambitious and got more out of it than I did MOTHER.

If you want to make a statement about Mother Earth, and the way we're treating it, then make a documentary. Don't make something for 30 million dollars that insults my intelligence and leaves me feeling angry. Not angry about how we're treating the planet but how I've been treated as an audience member.

I'm guessing no one left the theater after seeing MOTHER speaking about conservation or climate change, they left talking about a bad movie going experience. No one left the theater wishing people would treat the planet better they've all left wishing they could get their money back.

Yancey

• Like 2

I don't go out to see movies anymore, and I can't find any info on this one except something about a couple's tranquil life being disrupted.

I might give it a chance when it hits OnDemand, so I'll pass on any opinion.  Incidentally......

I'm not sure which is the worst movie I ever saw, but all I know is the only movie I ever walked out on was...

ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO

Sepiatone

• Like 1

I don't go out to see movies anymore, and I can't find any info on this one except something about a couple's tranquil life being disrupted.

I might give it a chance when it hits OnDemand, so I'll pass on any opinion.  Incidentally......

I'm not sure which is the worst movie I ever saw, but all I know is the only movie I ever walked out on was...

ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO

Sepiatone

Spare yourself two hours (Spoilers abound): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother!

I have not seen the film, but I do know this much, I have hated what I heard about it and all. The ending in particular, but also the offensive allegory. the film's director, Darren Arnofsky, is a sledgehammer director. Black Swan is the only film I have seen of his, and while i found it well-done, I knew what type of film it was going in, a psychological picture of someone going off the rails.

What is particularly irritating for me with this film is that there are several very talented people starring in it and they deserve a lot better than this. (Particuarly referring to Michelle Pfeiffer, Jennifer Lawrence, Domhnall Gleeson, and Ed Harris)

And Javier Bardem one of my favorites. That's the only reason I was going to see Mommy....but probably I'll wait for the DVD or maybe not...Thanks for the input 

I can think of several. The first is a very old one - "Honey" (1930) with Nancy Carroll and Zazu Pitts. The thing is just so boring. It is an adaptation of a stage play and it looks like one - very static. It even manages to make Zazu Pitts boring. How exactly do you do that?  And don't think it is a technology limitation of early sound, because I am a real lover of the early talkies, even the ones that are so bad that they are good to the point of being endearing - think Lights of New York here.

The next would be Independence Day (1996). It takes inane dialogue to new heights. When Bill Pullman as the president speaks, his oratory sounds like a third grader wrote it. He makes Donald Trump look like Shakespeare. In fact 90% of the dialogue sounds flat and Ed Woodish.  Judd Hirsch as Jeff Goldblum's  dad is the worst Jewish  stereotype I've seen in modern times. Brent Spiner as the Ph.D, likewise, is the worst stereotype of a nerd I've ever seen. I can only figure he owed the IRS some money. Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum are the only two players who make it remotely watchable, and then it is only the scenes they are in, separately and together. I can only figure they took the dialogue they were given, threw it in the trash, and decided to improvise.