Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

UCLA to show several pre codes from Universal and Paramount in February

smokey15

The UCLA film archives is presenting a screening of several pre codes from Paramount and Universal in February 2008. The films are from the period 1929-1933. Included in the showings are Hot Saturday

(1932 with Cary Grant and Nancy Carroll), Close Harmony (1929 with Buddy Rogers and Nancy Carroll), White Woman (1933 with Carole Lombard) and City Streets (1931 with Gary Cooper and Sylvia Sidney). Go to http://www.cinema.ucla.edu for the complete listing of films, dates and times.

Lucky people who get to enjoy a first-rate print of HOT SATURDAY! It's one of the best 30's films I've ever seen - a charming but sophisticated take on small-town life. And certainly serves as a lovely showcase for Nancy Carroll; I believe it also represents the first screen teaming of Cary Grant and Randolph Scott. I've only seen a wretched print but the film's merits still shone through. It'll only require a quality DVD release to start building the reputation of this smart (but pretty much unheralded) pre-code delight up to the level it deserves.

I'm lucky that I live in the SF Bay area, and get to regularly attend The Stanford Theatre in Palo Alto. They played Hot Saturday a few weeks back, and I went to see it mostly because I like Nancy Carroll a lot and seek out her films. Boy, Cary Grant was almost prettier than Nancy in his sparkling all-white suit that he makes his entrance in, and his blazer and ascot ensemble, and the exotic silk kimono he wears over his PJ's. Randolph Scott came off more manly, albeit chauvenistic when he finds out Nancy spent a whole four hours alone with Cary, tsk,tsk. I liked the cool lakeside roadhouse where the dancefloor surrounds the oak tree - I'd like to dance in place like that. Very precode the way Nancy bounces from one guy to the next, trying to save her reputation. Oh, I almost forgot when she wrestles and "pants" her sister to get the borrowed panties back!

Message was edited by: Jezebel38

I saw "White Woman" a few years ago when Film Forum in New York did a retrospective on Paramount before the Code; it's a middling movie, sort of campy. If you take it with a bit of tongue in cheek, it's okay.

Incidentally, while Lombard is seen singing in the film, it's really not her -- she was dubbed. More on this, and Carole's other musical appearances, can be found in this entry at my LiveJournal community, "Carole & Co."

http://community.livejournal.com/carole_and_co/11870.html

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings