Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Night and the City - excellent movie

dsclassic

I can't believe I haven't seen this. Especially, with the remake around. That usually inspires me to seek out the original. I was that way with CRISS-CROSS. Never heard of it till THE UNDERNEATH came out. Didn't see that. But I made a beeline for the other. Needless to say, I'm glad I did!

NIGHT AND THE CITY was directed by Jules Dassin? Did that man ever make a bad movie?

Arturo,

Actually, the 90s version is a remake, although as with all remakes, there are several differences. Very good cast in the later version, w/ not only DeNiro well-cast in the Widmark role, but some excellent support from Jessica Lange, the always terrific Jack Warden, and Eli Wallach. However, as much as I've always liked DeNiro as an actor, nobody touches Widmark as a film noir actor. He is, and always will be, an icon of the genre (in my humble opinion).

One of the interesting things about NIGHT AND THE CITY is that it has two musical scores. The British Territories print (which is cut differently and has an alternately-filmed opening flat scene) features music by Benjamin Frankel.

The US and worldwide release version features music by Franz Waxman.

CR Studios and Screen Archives released a double CD featuring both scores. The wonderful thing is that the Waxman score survived in dual-angles so the U.S. track is true stereo.

Here's the U.S. (Waxman) main title:

http://chelsearialtostudios.com/nightcity.mp3

Here's the British (Frankel) main title:

http://chelsearialtostudios.com/nightfra.mp3

nightcov.jpg

Chelsea, thanks for the information and the wonderful music. The only other score I'd ever heard by Frankel was for BATTLE OF THE BULGE. Here, he seems almost Bernard Herrmann-ish .. very interesting. I love film music ... used to collect soundtracks, and still have them all .. on vinyl! I also have your website on my favorite places, in case I ever break down and decide to go the cd route :)

I like this movie very much. Widmark is terrific. He is both slimy (you are glad you don't know him in real life) but you feel sorry for the jerk anyway. Francis Sullivan is fine as one of the British lowlifes. When he hits a cymbal and says "You're a dead man, Harry Fabian," it is just a terrific moment in film noir.

Widmark was in "To the Devil a Daughter." Apparently he made no friends among the British cast and crew.

Ironically, he started in horror as a regular voice actor on "Inner Sanctum Mysteries" that famous radio show. There is one episode called "The Shadow of Death" where he plays a maniac who foreshadows his "Kiss of Death" role as Tommy Udo. "The Last Story" is another good Widmark performance for ISM, and in "Corridor of Doom" he played opposite Boris Karloff.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings