Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Now I am afraid for TCM.

In the past I have confidently defended TCM's fidelity to it's purpose.  In the face of rash, and irrational charges of TCM drifting from classic movies, imminent AMC-ization, and pandering for bucks, I and other stable, reasonable minds, have maintained TCM's continuity.  But, now. . . .I'm not so sure.  Scrolling down the list of movies for the coming month, as is my employment for day one, to discover prizes in the schedule, I run across--oh, I shudder to name it--Who's That Girl? (1987), with. . .ough. . . Madonna.  It looks like it's in the Underground series, but even so, did they have to go that far underground?  It's so disappointing, and in a month with some nice highlights, like some Eisenstein moves, and Melville's Le Circle Rouge (1970), and THX1138 (1971).  Now, I fear. . . .

In the past I have confidently defended TCM's fidelity to it's purpose.  In the face of rash, and irrational charges of TCM drifting from classic movies, imminent AMC-ization, and pandering for bucks, I and other stable, reasonable minds, have maintained TCM's continuity.  But, now. . . .I'm not so sure.  Scrolling down the list of movies for the coming month, as is my employment for day one, to discover prizes in the schedule, I run across--oh, I shudder to name it--Who's That Girl? (1987), with. . .ough. . . Madonna.  It looks like it's in the Underground series, but even so, did they have to go that far underground?  It's so disappointing, and in a month with some nice highlights, like some Eisenstein moves, and Melville's Le Circle Rouge (1970), and THX1138 (1971).  Now, I fear. . . .

So TCM is going to show a movie you dislike, and,  all is lost?  

• Like 10

Who's That Girl is a 30 year old movie. To put that in perspective, that would be like TCM showing A Hard Day's Night or Roustabout the year the channel started. Those would have been 30 year old films in 1994, and they featured pop stars of their time. I'm sure there would have been much wailing and gnashing of teeth (acting as TCM Chicken Littles seems to have been a favored pastime for some around here), but the channel has continued regardless. As the channel ages, it has to change. Greatest Generation nostalgia made way for more Boomer nostalgia, and now Generation X is having a nostalgia season.

Now, I'm not comparing quality, as that is often subjective. I saw Who's That Girl on HBO sometime in the late 1980's. I don't really remember any of it, to be honest, but I don't recall caring for it, and I've never been fond of Madonna, either on screen or on the radio. But as I pointed out in another thread, every movie is special to someone, somewhere. No doubt there are a few people who absolutely love Who's That Girl for whatever reason. It may take them back to times of their youth, much as the insipid Beach movies do for many a Boomer.

So in short, it's no big deal. As we move through time, "newer" films are getting older, and the nostalgia continues to creep forward. I see this only as a sign of that, and not of the imminent "AMC-ization" of TCM.

However, scheduling Who's That Girl for TCM Underground I do have a problem with, as that flick is in no way underground.

• Like 8

This is not meant to be an excuse but for what it's worth, TCM had scheduled a premiere showing of Night of the Strangler (1972) as well as another film Head (1965) for TCM Underground that evening, but recently switched those out for the Madonna film and After Hours (1985).

So possibly when the original plan fell through for whatever reason, TCM may have had to fall back to a 'less-Underground' option including Who's That Girl.

I have also been disappointed in the past with some late schedule changes, but it must be difficult to schedule ~300 movies a month, especially if you try to find some occasional rarely seen films.

Scrolling down the list of movies for the coming month,  I run across Who's That Girl? (1987)

Thanks for the heads up.

Not exactly for WHO'S THAT GIRL?, but since I didn't recall seeing that movie on the October schedule when I checked it when he it was first available, I figured that some of TBAs on the schedule had been filled in. 

I am pleased to see that Martin Scorsese's AFTER HOURS is scheduled to be shown before WHO'S THAT GIRL? 

It appears there's a Griffin Dunne double feature that evening.

I would think Desperately Seeking Susan would be more appropriate as an Underground selection. Not that it was really underground, either, but it certainly had more of that vibe than Who's That Girl? But I don't object in general to TCM airing a 30-year-old movie starring (this will upset some people but won't make it any less true) one of the most iconic female figures of the past 100 years.

• Like 1

So TCM is going to show a movie you dislike, and,  all is lost?  

It's the harbinger of doom.  What's next?  A double feature of Casablanca (1942) and Barb Wire (1996)?  Jean-Claude Van Damme as star of the month?  Oh, it's too horrible to contemplate. . . .

• Like 2

Who's That Girl is a 30 year old movie. To put that in perspective, that would be like TCM showing A Hard Day's Night or Roustabout the year the channel started. 

(snipped)

So in short, it's no big deal. As we move through time, "newer" films are getting older, and the nostalgia continues to creep forward. I see this only as a sign of that, and not of the imminent "AMC-ization" of TCM.

Exactly. 

And even though I dislike Madonna, seeing her in a movie might enlighten me to her appeal. TCM UNDERGROUND has exposed me to many many films I had missed through the years. Most aren't great cinema, but they most certainly tell a story of what was popular at the time.

And until TCM starts interrupting movies with commercials or scrunching closing credits, the sky is not falling.

• Like 1

This is not meant to be an excuse but for what it's worth, TCM had scheduled a premiere showing of Night of the Strangler (1972) as well as another film Head (1965) for TCM Underground that evening, but recently switched those out for the Madonna film and After Hours (1985).

So possibly when the original plan fell through for whatever reason, TCM may have had to fall back to a 'less-Underground' option including Who's That Girl.

I have also been disappointed in the past with some late schedule changes, but it must be difficult to schedule ~300 movies a month, especially if you try to find some occasional rarely seen films.

Try as I could, I couldn't find any information about a 1965 film called "Head".  Only the '68 movie by The Monkees, which wouldn't be objected to by me if shown on TCM( I think it was).  But anyway.....

And since we've discussed the various definitions of the word "classic" and how they apply to movies, it's safe to assume that "classic" doesn't always mean "old", or of a specific age.  Or even class.  So.....

Don't like Madonna?  Well, me either.  But then, I've never really cared much for GEORGE SANDERS and TCM shows his movies.  A LOT.  Yet I don't mind nor gnash my teeth that it might mean "the end" of TCM.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

If Madonna HAS to be on TCM Underground, don't show a movie that's fairly well known and that she got a hit single (Who's That Girl) out of, show something so horrible it's good and that answers the question why didn't she ever make it big in films;  my two nominees:

"Shanghai Surprise" (1986)--The film that gave Madonna and Sean Penn the nickname "The Poison Penns".

"Body of Evidence" (1993)--Where Madonna plays a **** who ***** her lover to death, and then her lawyer chooses to have an affair with her.  Notable for the "meant to be erotic" scene where Madonna licks up candle wax from her lover, and there is a close-up of her having wax dripping from her nose like snot.  Dreadful movie is full of horselaughs.

Both films flopped at the box-office, if I remember correctly.

• Like 2

I remember when WHO'S THAT GIRL hit movie screens. There was an interview on MTV to promote it. It featured Madonna (of course) and the film's director (James Foley). Foley said the film was inspired by 30s screwball comedies and in response to the casting, he said Madonna had the potential to be an 80s Carole Lombard (that didn't exactly happen).

Here's a list of Foley's directing credits:

screen-shot-2017-10-02-at-8-21-58-am.png

• Like 1

Personally, I like Madonna's 80s songs, but that is beside the point here.

Anyway, its pretty obvious that Who's That Girl is being aired in Underground with After Hours as a Griffin Dunne double feature. I'd say neither of them is underground due to the lack of sci-fi, fantasy, cult, or action elements (or maybe After Hours does qualify as it has a cult following and does feel surreal at many points) but that's just me.

What is perhaps most curious is that Who's That Girl, generally regarded as a very poor comedy (Madonna got a Razzie for it), costars John Mills....

Try as I could, I couldn't find any information about a 1965 film called "Head".  Only the '68 movie by The Monkees, which wouldn't be objected to by me if shown on TCM( I think it was).  But anyway.....

And since we've discussed the various definitions of the word "classic" and how they apply to movies, it's safe to assume that "classic" doesn't always mean "old", or of a specific age.  Or even class.  So.....

Don't like Madonna?  Well, me either.  But then, I've never really cared much for GEORGE SANDERS and TCM shows his movies.  A LOT.  Yet I don't mind nor gnash my teeth that it might mean "the end" of TCM.

Sepiatone

Movie dates sometimes vary between different sources.  I don't know about this case right now, but when that does happen then I visually reconcile those by looking at director and top stars, genre, and duration to verify it is in fact the same movie.  For my lists I go between IMDB and the TCM database (made from the AFI database).  I don't know but that may be the case here.  Yes, we are talking about the Monkees movie.

Sepiatone

My apologies - yes it was the Head film with the Monkees from 1968 that TCM had scheduled.  By my modest records it has been on at least once before back in November of 2016.

Here is a TCM article on the movie:

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/20082/Head/articles.html

So they were able to show Just Imagine (1930) at the big theater film festival in Tikisoo's area a year ago, but TCM is showing a Madonna movie yet has never shown that.  [gulp].  I've read of maybe a few posters who saw PD versions of Just Imagine who didn't like it (fair enough), but don't tell me for a moment you'd rather they show a Madonna movie.

Heck, I'd rather even watch Hot Spell.

• Like 2

TCM may be holding back 1968's Head as part of a future tribute to Tor Johnson, who sparkles in his cameo:

B3yEtuy.png

• Like 4

Hey! We agree about something!

She's a creepy **** and her singing voice SUCKS

+1,000!

See?  Wait long enough and you're bound to find common ground with a LOT of different people.  :)

The thing about her that bugged me the most, well,two things....

1. Raising two daughters I kept trying to instill in them that they're more than just some sexual plaything for any creepy loser guy that comes along.  But then comes Madaonna and her early image of seemingly endorsing  the "plaything" attitude. (she did coin the term "boy toy" which over time became completely corrupted to mean the exact opposite of original intent)

2.  During all the bandwagon adoration heaped on her were those gleeps who gushed over her "ability to keep re-inventing herself."  Whenever I hear someone described that way the first thing that comes to mind is "identity crisis".  Which also to me indicates a complete lack of discernable personality.

Sepiatone