Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Now I am afraid for TCM.

I have to jump in and say that I do generally enjoy Madonna on screen, and in fact, I particularly enjoy Who's That Girl?  It's a pretty decent riff on Bringing Up Baby, and Madonna and Griffin Dunne are both worth seeing.  It's unfortunate that they chose lighting and makeup for Madonna that really don't do her any favors, but the film really isn't that bad.  I completely agree, however, that it isn't even remotely an underground film.  It was a major studio release with no subversive or fringe elements whatsoever.  Maybe it's in underground since it was such a huge flop at the box office, but I agree with the earlier post that if they were going that route, Shanghai Surprise might have been the way to go.  At any rate, I'll be happy to see an HD version (hopefully) of it.

• Like 2

I have to jump in and say that I do generally enjoy Madonna on screen, and in fact, I particularly enjoy Who's That Girl?  It's a pretty decent riff on Bringing Up Baby, and Madonna and Griffin Dunne are both worth seeing.  It's unfortunate that they chose lighting and makeup for Madonna that really don't do her any favors, but the film really isn't that bad.  I completely agree, however, that it isn't even remotely an underground film.  It was a major studio release with no subversive or fringe elements whatsoever.  Maybe it's in underground since it was such a huge flop at the box office, but I agree with the earlier post that if they were going that route, Shanghai Surprise might have been the way to go.  At any rate, I'll be happy to see an HD version (hopefully) of it.

Good post. Welcome to the message boards!

I saw Who's That Girl in a theater and remember nothing save for the music. The soundtrack had some Madonna hits and she named a tour after the movie.

For a really, really bad Madonna movie they could show Bloodhounds of Broadway. ..I don't think Griffin Dunne was in that one...

• Like 1

I saw Who's That Girl in a theater and remember nothing save for the music. The soundtrack had some Madonna hits and she named a tour after the movie.

For a really, really bad Madonna movie they could show Bloodhounds of Broadway. ..I don't think Griffin Dunne was in that one...

How about Evita?

Did anyone outside of Argentina give a **** about Evita?

darkblue--Apparently so.  According to box-officemojo.com, "Evita" (1996) made only 50 million in the U.S., but made 91 million overseas.  The overseas gross moved it out of flopdom into the category of box-office disappointment. "Evita's" budget was around 50 million.

darkblue--Apparently so.  According to box-officemojo.com, "Evita" (1996) made only 50 million in the U.S., but made 91 million overseas.  The overseas gross moved it out of flopdom into the category of box-office disappointment. "Evita's" budget was around 50 million.

Hmm..... interesting.

I couldn't do that one myself. Turned it off about a half hour in.

I remember saying to myself "jeez, who cares?"

• Like 1

For a Griffin Dunne double feature with After Hours, I'd rather see Almost You, a little-known comedy I liked quite a bit. Dunne is quite good--too bad he didn't have a bigger career--and, to my way of thinking, Brooke Adams and Karen Allen are preferable to Madonna.

How about Evita?

Did anyone outside of Argentina give a **** about Evita?

Which one?  The movie or the real person?

Personally, I didn't and STILL don't give a rat's azz for either.  And after crying over the lost dollars and two hours I'll never get back,I took to referrring to her first "major" film as, DESPERATELY SEEKING SUBSTANCE.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

In the past I have confidently defended TCM's fidelity to it's purpose.  In the face of rash, and irrational charges of TCM drifting from classic movies, imminent AMC-ization, and pandering for bucks, I and other stable, reasonable minds, have maintained TCM's continuity.  But, now. . . .I'm not so sure.  Scrolling down the list of movies for the coming month, as is my employment for day one, to discover prizes in the schedule, I run across--oh, I shudder to name it--Who's That Girl? (1987), with. . .ough. . . Madonna.  It looks like it's in the Underground series, but even so, did they have to go that far underground?  It's so disappointing, and in a month with some nice highlights, like some Eisenstein moves, and Melville's Le Circle Rouge (1970), and THX1138 (1971).  Now, I fear. . . .

**** *** ********!  B)

Who's That Girl is a 30 year old movie. To put that in perspective, that would be like TCM showing A Hard Day's Night or Roustabout the year the channel started. Those would have been 30 year old films in 1994, and they featured pop stars of their time. I'm sure there would have been much wailing and gnashing of teeth (acting as TCM Chicken Littles seems to have been a favored pastime for some around here), but the channel has continued regardless. As the channel ages, it has to change. Greatest Generation nostalgia made way for more Boomer nostalgia, and now Generation X is having a nostalgia season.

Now, I'm not comparing quality, as that is often subjective. I saw Who's That Girl on HBO sometime in the late 1980's. I don't really remember any of it, to be honest, but I don't recall caring for it, and I've never been fond of Madonna, either on screen or on the radio. But as I pointed out in another thread, every movie is special to someone, somewhere. No doubt there are a few people who absolutely love Who's That Girl for whatever reason. It may take them back to times of their youth, much as the insipid Beach movies do for many a Boomer.

So in short, it's no big deal. As we move through time, "newer" films are getting older, and the nostalgia continues to creep forward. I see this only as a sign of that, and not of the imminent "AMC-ization" of TCM.

However, scheduling Who's That Girl for TCM Underground I do have a problem with, as that flick is in no way underground.

;)

Thanks for the heads up.

Not exactly for WHO'S THAT GIRL?, but since I didn't recall seeing that movie on the October schedule when I checked it when he it was first available, I figured that some of TBAs on the schedule had been filled in. 

I am pleased to see that Martin Scorsese's AFTER HOURS is scheduled to be shown before WHO'S THAT GIRL? 

It appears there's a Griffin Dunne double feature that evening.

:)

Madonna. Taken seriously. Maybe I'm not so much afraid for TCM as I am for it's viewership.

So what's for next? How bout a retrospective of The Rock? Or, I know:

Isn't Mahogany on this month's schedule as part of the Anthony Perkins tribute?

Are you saying that Mahogany is at the same 'level' as Who's That Girl?    

I won't try to answer that question, but I will say that Mahogany is the kind of film that I'm excited to see on TCM.  No where else are you going to see that these days, and any film with Perkins, Ross and Nina Foch is well worth watching, regardless of whether it's a big mess or not.  For what it's worth, I've always had a soft spot for Mahogany. It was Ross's follow up to her triumph with Lady Sings the Blues, and it did pretty much finish her film career, so who wouldn't want to see what that was all about?

I won't try to answer that question, but I will say that Mahogany is the kind of film that I'm excited to see on TCM.  No where else are you going to see that these days, and any film with Perkins, Ross and Nina Foch is well worth watching, regardless of whether it's a big mess or not.  For what it's worth, I've always had a soft spot for Mahogany. It was Ross's follow up to her triumph with Lady Sings the Blues, and it did pretty much finish her film career, so who wouldn't want to see what that was all about?

The MOVIES network recently showed it.  A LOT a few weeks ago.

Sepiatone

The MOVIES network recently showed it.  A LOT a few weeks ago.

Sepiatone

If it doesn't show movies uncut, commercial free and in HD, it doesn't exist for me (Movies! does none of that in my market)

• Like 1

If it doesn't show movies uncut, commercial free and in HD, it doesn't exist for me (Movies! does none of that in my market)

I don't care about HD but I'm absolutely in agreement on the uncut and commercial free. Especially the uncut.

I never go near channels that edit content. Ever.

• Like 2

I don't care about HD but I'm absolutely in agreement on the uncut and commercial free. Especially the uncut.

I never go near channels that edit content. Ever.

That reminds me of something last week or the week before. I briefly turned into the Sundance channel to take a look at the edited cut of Logan's Run, just to see how they handled that scene with Michael York and Jenny Agutter trying to escape through that room of naked people, and the way they edited it was laughably bad.