Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Now I am afraid for TCM.

That reminds me of something last week or the week before. I briefly turned into the Sundance channel to take a look at the edited cut of Logan's Run, just to see how they handled that scene with Michael York and Jenny Agutter trying to escape through that room of naked people, and the way they edited it was laughably bad.

Why was Sundance showing an edited version? They used to have no problem with nudity.

Madonna.  Taken seriously.  Maybe I'm not so much afraid for TCM as I am for it's viewership.

So what's for next?  How bout a retrospective of The Rock?  Or, I know:

mariah-carey-film-poster-glitter-2001-BP

Any reference to this should be a reportable offense. This is worse than any four letter word!   :lol: 

Any reference to this should be a reportable offense. This is worse than any four letter word!   

Saying that about 'Glitter' - or about Madonna's movies for that matter - will probably be considered homophobic.

When The Breakfast Club aired on TV Molly Ringwald hurls with intensity at Ally Sheedy "You are such a BRAT!". Do they say B**** on broadcast TV now?

I hear it all the time.  I guess it depends on the context or instance in a film or show when it's used that determines whether or not they "cut and paste" it or not.  example.....

It's often not tampered with on a TV show like "Law And Order: SVU", which deals with law enforcement and the world of sex crimes, so maybe censors feel it's not out of place.  Whereas a teen girl calling another teen-aged girl that name is unseemly for a egeneral audience. 

Shoot.  I don't see what freakin' difference any of that makes.  If you ask me, they're all just a bunch of ant-holes.  ;)

Sepiatone

When The Breakfast Club aired on TV Molly Ringwald hurls with intensity at Ally Sheedy "You are such a BRAT!". Do they say B**** on broadcast TV now?

I remember when Love Story was first shown on network tv. When Ali asks Ryan what he calls his father, he replies “nothing special.” Quite a departure from the original theatrical version. Glad I don’t live in that world any more.

I remember when Love Story was first shown on network tv. When Ali asks Ryan what he calls his father, he replies “nothing special.” Quite a departure from the original theatrical version. Glad I don’t live in that world any more.

I've had it with these monkey fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane!

• Like 1

Speaking of being afraid for TCM, and I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, what is up with that weird Dracula "Word of Mouth" promo piece?  There are fictitious characters in the Universal horror canon talking about another fictitious character - Dracula. Has TCM ever done anything like this before? If Robert Osborne was still alive would he have burst in on the set and said "enough of this silliness!". Is his ghost doing that now? In 10 years will Deadpool have a Word of Mouth promo on TCM with the rest of the fictitious Marvelverse talking about him? It just seems like a leap from the film school atmosphere of  these short pieces to pure camp, and maybe TCM is just limiting it to October because Drac is the "monster of the month". Anyways, I did raise  an eyebrow when I saw this piece the other day.

It looks like it's supposed to be a fun thing for October--you know, horror month.  A satiric take-off of the usual actors and movie people talking about another actor or movie person.  Get it?  Fake things talking about another fake thing.  You know, seriously.  Only, it's a joke.

Now, whose sense of humor at TCM would you think this fits in with?  I wonder. . . .

• Like 1

Speaking of being afraid for TCM, and I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this, what is up with that weird Dracula "Word of Mouth" promo piece?  There are fictitious characters in the Universal horror canon talking about another fictitious character - Dracula. Has TCM ever done anything like this before? If Robert Osborne was still alive would he have burst in on the set and said "enough of this silliness!". Is his ghost doing that now? In 10 years will Deadpool have a Word of Mouth promo on TCM with the rest of the fictitious Marvelverse talking about him? It just seems like a leap from the film school atmosphere of  these short pieces to pure camp, and maybe TCM is just limiting it to October because Drac is the "monster of the month". Anyways, I did raise  an eyebrow when I saw this piece the other day.

Yes, TCM has done this before. There was a promo piece I think last year where Dr. Frankenstein waxed nostalgic about the movies he'd made with The Monster.

• Like 1

In the past I have confidently defended TCM's fidelity to it's purpose.  In the face of rash, and irrational charges of TCM drifting from classic movies, imminent AMC-ization, and pandering for bucks, I and other stable, reasonable minds, have maintained TCM's continuity.  But, now. . . .I'm not so sure.  Scrolling down the list of movies for the coming month, as is my employment for day one, to discover prizes in the schedule, I run across--oh, I shudder to name it--Who's That Girl? (1987), with. . .ough. . . Madonna.  It looks like it's in the Underground series, but even so, did they have to go that far underground?  It's so disappointing, and in a month with some nice highlights, like some Eisenstein moves, and Melville's Le Circle Rouge (1970), and THX1138 (1971).  Now, I fear. . . .

Not again...

Every few months someone starts a thread about what they see as the “so-called” demise of Turner Classic Movies represented by the channel showing some obscure recent film and because of this the reaction TCM is somehow going the way of AMC or worse, just going in the wrong direction that some here have feared would happen eventually.

The film you mentioned, “Who’s That Girl” a Warner Bros release from 1987 has caused what appears great consternation on your part. As has been written by me and several others on the board in the recent past, this is not unusual for TCM.

Going back to 1994 when TCM started, the channel has always shown what some have called recent films. Looking back to 1994, those first few months saw films from the 1980’s and 1970’s dotting the schedule every month.

For TCM to show films from a certain point in time, especially the rare to find classics from the 1930’s to the 1950’s, they often have to show more recent films to justify contract stipulations they have agreed to from the distribution companies and or film studios.

In this case “Who’s That Girl” from 1987 is part of the Warner Bros. film library. Obviously in order for TCM to show certain films from way back from Warner Bros, they have to agree to also showcase other more recent films from that studio to satisfy any contract they agree with in order to show those older more classic films. In this case, the Madonna film was probably included in whatever contract TCM signed to show other older films.

In very simple language, this is often the case. That is why this film along with many other poorly produced films from the recent past appear on the channel.

It does not mean that TCM is going the way of AMC. All one has to do is look at the monthly schedules and I am sure more than 65 to 75% of all the films being shown on the channel were films produced from before 1960 or 1970.

And to be frank, there is nothing wrong with showing these more recent, obscure films. They satisfy any agreement TCM makes with the distributor and often are only shown once or twice within a given month, possibly more times depending on which older films are being negotiated for.

So as James has written, just because TCM is showing one film you dislike, there is no reason to sit here and bemoan athat TCM is dying and all is lost. This is just not the case.

• Like 3

It looks like it's supposed to be a fun thing for October--you know, horror month.  A satiric take-off of the usual actors and movie people talking about another actor or movie person.  Get it?  Fake things talking about another fake thing.  You know, seriously.  Only, it's a joke.

Now, whose sense of humor at TCM would you think this fits in with?  I wonder. . . .

So this entire thread is a joke.   Ok that makes sense since it was nonsense,  but the joke reminds me of an Ed Wood's movie; not funny.      :lol:

• Like 1

My comment was about the post on the Dracula promo.

But I will say this, it's impossible to predict which direction a thread will go, or how people will take it.  Things meant in fun will be taken seriously, serious things will be riffed on.  It all goes back to that tragic lack of an emoticon with its tongue in its cheek, or one that transmits mock anxiety over imagined catastrophes.

• Like 2

My comment was about the post on the Dracula promo.

But I will say this, it's impossible to predict which direction a thread will go, or how people will take it.  Things meant in fun will be taken seriously, serious things will be riffed on.  It all goes back to that tragic lack of an emoticon with its tongue in its cheek, or one that transmits mock anxiety over imagined catastrophes.

I was talking about the *ahem* performance artist. 

Maybe I should start my own thread on this, just so I can claim what is O/T or not.

Not again...

Every few months someone starts a thread about what they see as the “so-called” demise of Turner Classic Movies represented by the channel showing some obscure recent film and because of this the reaction TCM is somehow going the way of AMC or worse, just going in the wrong direction that some here have feared would happen eventually.

The film you mentioned, “Who’s That Girl” a Warner Bros release from 1987 has caused what appears great consternation on your part. As has been written by me and several others on the board in the recent past, this is not unusual for TCM.

Going back to 1994 when TCM started, the channel has always shown what some have called recent films. Looking back to 1994, those first few months saw films from the 1980’s and 1970’s dotting the schedule every month.

For TCM to show films from a certain point in time, especially the rare to find classics from the 1930’s to the 1950’s, they often have to show more recent films to justify contract stipulations they have agreed to from the distribution companies and or film studios.

In this case “Who’s That Girl” from 1987 is part of the Warner Bros. film library. Obviously in order for TCM to show certain films from way back from Warner Bros, they have to agree to also showcase other more recent films from that studio to satisfy any contract they agree with in order to show those older more classic films. In this case, the Madonna film was probably included in whatever contract TCM signed to show other older films.

In very simple language, this is often the case. That is why this film along with many other poorly produced films from the recent past appear on the channel.

It does not mean that TCM is going the way of AMC. All one has to do is look at the monthly schedules and I am sure more than 65 to 75% of all the films being shown on the channel were films produced from before 1960 or 1970.

And to be frank, there is nothing wrong with showing these more recent, obscure films. They satisfy any agreement TCM makes with the distributor and often are only shown once or twice within a given month, possibly more times depending on which older films are being negotiated for.

So as James has written, just because TCM is showing one film you dislike, there is no reason to sit here and bemoan athat TCM is dying and all is lost. This is just not the case.

No, I don't see it going the way of AMC.  The schedules show that.  They have just been furiously shuffling everything else about the brand around.  Ruffled a lot of feathers.  The one thing that could use some updating is this site (or not).  The quirks and pitfalls haven't changed one bit in the roughly three years I've been posting here.

• Like 1