Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

10 films you must see before you die

What are ten films you have never seen, but you want to see before you croak? Here is my list:

1.All About Eve

2. Indinana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark

3. Enchanted April

4. The Little Girl who Lived Down the Lane

5. Sleepy Hollow

6. The Blair Witch Project

7. A River Runs Through It

8. Casablanca

9 .The Gay Divorcee

10. Anchors Aweigh

How morbid...before I die I have a lot of movies I want to see..

Id love to be immortal and just live quietly to watch TV and movies - I look forward to whatever future holds for movies...

Here is my list

IronMan - next year

The Hulk - next year

Sirocco

Tokyo Joe

The last 2 Harry Potter movies

Wolverine - next year

AVPr -- coming soon

Ben Hur - ((maybe))

Batman 2 - the new joker is scary !

A lot of the 'all time classics' I have seen with the Bogarts, Grants, Hitchcock, etc..thanks to Netflix, I am almost caught up..It Happened One Night & Mr Deeds are forthcoming...

"The Awful Truth" "All About Eve" "Gone With the Wind" "Out of the Past" "Casablanca" "The Maltese Falcon" "Public Enemy" Fred & Ginger's sublime dancing in any number of their films, "Silence of the Lambs" "Leave Her to Heaven." It's hard to pick ten. But I would recommend these films for a person to see before they died. Me? I have no intention of dying.

Humm...10 movies I've not seen but that I really want to see?

Well, that's tough...and I'm tempted to put down a few Gary Cooper, Rudolph Valentino, and Ronald Colman silents that are either verified as lost...or suspected of being lost films. :D Nothing would make me happier than if a copy of A Sainted Devil (Valentino) or Legion of the Condemned (Gary Cooper) were to turn up!

But lost films of my favorite stars aside....the job of making a list gets alot tougher as I have the means to find most films I want to see that are still around in the collections of various collector pals.

However, some of the ones on my current 'wish list' of things I want to get ahold of soon are:

MY COUSIN RACHEL (1952)

FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO (1943)

21 DAYS TOGETHER (1940)

PERFECT UNDERSTANDING (1933)

CLOUDS OVER EUROPE (1939)

THE TAMARIND SEED (1974)

MR PEABODY AND THE MERMAID (1948)

THE BARONESS AND THE BUTLER (1938)

ESCAPADE (1935)

SNOWED UNDER (1936)

Well, that's tough...and I'm tempted to put down a few Gary Cooper, Rudolph Valentino, and Ronald Colman silents that are either verified as lost...or suspected of being lost films. :D

Sigh.

Nice to see you around... I think. My opinion will probably soon change if I keep reading the names "Gary Cooper, Rudolph Valentino, Ronald Colman, Clark Gable, and Errol Flynn." ;)

Very good list, by the way. I'm interested in seeing Five Graves to Cairo, too.

Well, that's the trouble with my being around isn't it? Too much Gary Cooper, Rudolph Valentino, Ronald Colman, Clark Gable and Errol Flynn for some people. :P

Am I allowed to talk about William Powell, Gregory Peck, Spencer Tracy and Laurence Olivier though? Might those be more palatable subjects? :D

Am I allowed to talk about Gene Tierney, Grace Kelly, Linda Darnell and Gloria Grahame though? Might those be more palatable subjects?

Sure. That'll work. Talk away! :)

You know you can talk about whatever the heck you want to, B. It's just good to see you around these parts. Plus, I'm dying to find out how the ignore button works, Valentino Chick. :P

Gregory Peck, huh? I never knew.

Films I haven't seen but want to...more than 10!

The More the Merrier

Silents with the Talmadge sisters, like Duchess of Buffalo or Dulcey or Kiki

To my shame, I have never seen an Akira Kurosawa film, so at least one of his--any suggestions? Besides Rashomon?

Pepe le Moko

No Man of her Own

Douglas Fairbanks' Robin Hood

Madwoman of Chaillot

The Godfather part 2

The Bicycle Theif

Breathless

La Dolce Vita

A Clockwork Orange

Palm Beach Story

Shindler's List

Convention City (holy grail of precodes)

Martin Roumagnac (to see if it's as bad as claimed)

Who's Afriad of Virginia Woolf?

To my shame, I have never seen an Akira Kurosawa film, so at least one of his--any suggestions? Besides Rashomon?

*Seven Samurai* and *Yojimbo* are probably the most popular ones, but my favorite is Throne of Blood. *Ran* is great, too -- in fact, it is difficult to go wrong with any Kurosawa film.

Oops -- forgot to mention Ikiru. See, it is hard to go wrong with Kurosawa.

Watch Ikiru, *Tokyo Story* (Ozu), *Umberto D.* (De Sica) and *Make Way for Tomorrow* (McCarey), and then call an older person in your life.

Casablanca..a lot of movie...you'd better get crackin'. This movie is a masterpiece. Once you've seen it, you won't be satisfied with one viewing. I watch it on TCM and a couple of times a year I watch my DVD. I'm never disappointed. It's always a treat to watch Bogart and Bergman together. The story is fascinating, real...this film has it all. Intrigue, murder, romance, music, dancing, great dialogue and, of course, the beautiful Ingrid with the tough guy Bogart who, in this film, shows his heart while maintaining the sharp wit and gangster-type stance which made him a legend.

Another film that interestingly was nominated for seven Academy Awards, but lost out to Casablanca in 1942 is Madame Curie with Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon. They did a number of films together, but this one is technically the real story about Curie, her life, her love and her work. Just wonderful and, because it adheres so strictly to the truth and the technical side, a joy. I think you should add this one to your list, especially since you want to see Casablanca. You've got to see the film that was just as good.

My two cents...I hope you like it.

Message was edited by: Gladiola

Oops, I almost forgot. I hope they have movies in heaven and, if they don't, I'm coming back to haunt the movie theatres. If it's good enough for the ghostly greats like Clark Gable and Carole Lombard, who frequent the Knickerbocker Hotel's restaurant to this day, it's good enough for me. :-)

I guess the six films just announced today for release by WB on Bette Davis on April 1st from her peek period would qualify for six must see films before I die.

Bette Davis Vol 3

1. "In This Our Life" (1942)

2. "The Old Maid" (1939)

3. "All This, and Heaven Too" (1940)

4. "The Great Lie" (1941)

5. "Deception" (1946)

6. "Watch on the Rhine" (1943)

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)

Double Indemnity (1944)

Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947)

Sunset Blvd. (1950)

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)

The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953)

Mildred Pierce (1945)

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)

You are the second person on this thread not to have seen "Casablanca". You have quite an experience in store for you.

As I said on this thread before, "Would I love to be seeing "Casablanca" for the first time."

Hoping you see it soon.

--Gus Cerini