Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2017 california wildfires

So ND and ham. Let me ask you guys a couple of questions here.

How come I didn't see you guys expressing these sorts of thoughts about the people living along the Gulf Coast and during this year's "hurricane season"?

AND, how come I also seemed to have missed any thoughts of yours in this regard about those living in what is called "Tornado Alley"?

Look dudes! EVERY state in this country has its "issues" when it comes to natural catastrophes, and while yes, PARTS of the state of California are more in constant danger of wild fires, particularly those in mountainous areas, perhaps the people out there KNOW that it IS worth the risk of them being subject to that state's particular version of these natural catastrophes in order to live in the part of this country WITH the BEST damn weather in all of this country, THE most diverse and varied climates and topography, AND the most vibrant economy of any of our 50 states!

(...and besides, even with all those "liberals" and "Hollywood types" out there, it STILL possesses a hell of lot more things to do and enjoy than I'm sure YOUR little backward states do...so THERE!!!!)    :P

LOL

• Like 5

OH, and in case you guys wanna know why my butt isn't located there anymore? Well, it as I've told JAKE around here many many a time...It's because there's just TOO MANY FREAKIN' PEOPLE THERE NOW DAYS, and of all sorts.

(...from yahoos like you two, to people from all over this world, and who come there to enjoy the BEST freakin' weather in these United States and to acquire gainful employment...and there's always been a LOT of this latter thing there, hence that whole "vibrant economy" thing I said in my earlier post down there...and of which I'm ALSO sure has a hell of lot more of THAT than those "backwater states" I called the places YOU guys live in) 

So ND and ham. Let me ask you guys a couple of questions here.

How come I didn't see you guys expressing these sorts of thoughts about the people living along the Gulf Coast and during this year's "hurricane season"?

I believe Hamradio has expressed the same "why live there?" sentiment in regards to Florida and the hurricanes. I recall that, as a Floridian, I personally appreciated it, especially coming from someone who bellyaches about his state's one apparent source of income and how the entire nation should suffer so that his state's residents can find work in the one and only field they are apparently capable of working in. Hey, let's roll back clean air and water regulations so that West Virginians can go work in the coal mines again. What a win-win for every one of us.  <_<

As for Nipkow, he routinely hopes that the storms will be worse than they end up being because he wants to see real damage and misery visited upon Americans since that's just the kind of person he is. I could further elaborate, and I'd like to, but it's likely that the mods would consider what I have to say a bit on the abusive side. :mellow:

• Like 2

I believe Hamradio has expressed the same "why live there?" sentiment in regards to Florida and the hurricanes. I recall that, as a Floridian, I personally appreciated it, especially coming from someone who bellyaches about his state's one apparent source of income and how the entire nation should suffer so that his state's residents can find work in the one and only field they are apparently capable of working in. Hey, let's roll back clean air and water regulations so that West Virginians can go work in the coal mines again. What a win-win for every one of us.  <_<

As for Nipkow, he routinely hopes that the storms will be worse than they end of being because he wants to see real damage and misery visited upon Americans since that's just the kind of person he is. I could further elaborate, and I'd like to, but it's likely that the mods would consider what I have to say a bit on the abusive side. :mellow:

Yeah, "West Virginia".

Gotta admit I've never had the "pleasure", but from what I hear, it's pretty much a "one horse" town..err.."state" with its OWN set of "issues".

But I DO hear that some of the people there have figured out a way around the boredom of living there.

(...yep, I hear the wonderful world of home-built Electronics is a pretty good way to help fight off that whole "boredom" issue some of those folks there often suffer from, alright!!!)

LOL

Never said nor do I think  they DESERVE IT only stating the constant wildfires that has hit California over and over.  Wouldn't wish this on anyone.   We do have brush fires about every 8-10 years or so.  I keep the area around my house cleared of weeds, leaves, etc to reduce the risk of fire. One fire came within 50 feet of my house about 20 years ago so even here there is a slight risk.  

brush-fire-raccoon-creek-300x225.jpg

And what the hell does coal jobs has to do with the California wildfires??

Yeah, "West Virginia".

Gotta admit I've never had the "pleasure", but from what I hear, it's pretty much a "one horse" town..err.."state" with its OWN set of "issues".

But I DO hear that some of the people there have figured out a way around the boredom of living there.

(...yep, I hear the wonderful world of home-built Electronics is a pretty good way to help fight of that whole "boredom" issue some of those folks there often suffer from, alright!!!)

LOL

I wouldn't trade a little boredom / low populated town for living in a high risk area for anything.  Of course a meteor could fall on my house.

Has anyone ever heard of risk assessment? 

Environmentalists Reject Blame for Destructive Forest Fires

The 2017 wildfire season is one of the worst in history, with 8.4 million acres burned and 80 million more still at risk, while nearly two dozen large active fires still burn

In 2015 a record 10 million acres burned, according to Rep. Raul Labrador (R-ID).

Raging, destructive wildfires in the west are becoming more common, and some are blaming radical environmentalists for blocking attempts to thin out forests that fuel the blazes destroying so much of the West.

“Extremist groups delay and cancel desperately needed forest management and wildfire prevention projects with reckless abandon for the damage they inflict on our federal forests and the local communities that depend on them,” Rep. Tom McClintock (R-CA) told Jefferson Public Radio.

Criticism of environmental groups isn’t exclusive to Republicans, either.

“Mismanagement has left our forests susceptible to insects and disease and ripe for catastrophic wildfires,” said Rep. Kurt Schrader (D-OR).

California and Oregon have let these environmentalists block all logging they want to, so this is what happens.

I wouldn't trade a little boredom / low populated area for living in a high risk area for anything.  Of course a meteor could fall on my house.

Yeah, I suppose there's something to be said for living a slow backwoods lifestyle, alright.

Although of course, one DOES always run the risk of being bored to death in such circumstances, and then eating and drinking to excess because there's really nothin' much to do where they live. And then those winters come, and which kind'a makes going outside to exercise a little more of a chore.  

Now, you HAVE been taking good care of yourself, I hope?! I know how so many of you backwoods types start gettin' a little too fat and out of shape because of that in "The Heartland".

(...but I know I needn't worry about this in your case, 'cause you've got that hobby of yours there in sparsely populated and economically depressed West Virginy, huh!)

LOL

Yeah, I suppose there's something to be said for living a slow backwoods lifestyle, alright.

Although of course, one DOES always run the risk of being bored to death in such circumstances, and then eating and drinking to excess because there's really nothin' much to do where they live. And then those winters come, and which kind'a makes going outside to exercise a little more of a chore.  

Now, you HAVE been taking good care of yourself, I hope?! I know how so many of you backwoods types start gettin' a little too fat and out of shape because of that in "The Heartland".

(...but I know I needn't worry about this in your case, 'cause you've got that hobby of yours there in sparsely populated and economically depressed West Virginy, huh!)

LOL

I'm too busy to be bored (job, housekeeping, landscaping, repairs)..  Told a friend wish I had a week to simply be bored out of my skull.  My health - get complements from people on my weight, blood pressure, A1C considering my age.  So far all normal.

I'm too busy to be bored (job, housekeeping, landscaping, repairs)..  Told a friend wish I had a week to simply be bored out of my skull.  My health - get complements from people on my weight, blood pressure, A1C considering my age.  So far all normal.

Good to hear!

(...heck, in fact, you must pretty much stand out from the rest of the folks around there, being in such good shape like that and all, huh!)

LOL

Environmentalists Reject Blame for Destructive Forest Fires

The 2017 wildfire season is one of the worst in history, with 8.4 million acres burned and 80 million more still at risk, while nearly two dozen large active fires still burn

In 2015 a record 10 million acres burned, according to Rep. Raul Labrador (R-ID).

Raging, destructive wildfires in the west are becoming more common, and some are blaming radical environmentalists for blocking attempts to thin out forests that fuel the blazes destroying so much of the West.

“Extremist groups delay and cancel desperately needed forest management and wildfire prevention projects with reckless abandon for the damage they inflict on our federal forests and the local communities that depend on them,” Rep. Tom McClintock (R-CA) told Jefferson Public Radio.

Criticism of environmental groups isn’t exclusive to Republicans, either.

“Mismanagement has left our forests susceptible to insects and disease and ripe for catastrophic wildfires,” said Rep. Kurt Schrader (D-OR).

California and Oregon have let these environmentalists block all logging they want to, so this is what happens.

There is another issue, should we allow forest to burn instead of stopping them.  Exceptions are if fires threaten life and property.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160722-why-we-should-let-raging-wildfires-burn

Good to hear!

(...heck, in fact, you must pretty much stand out from the rest of the folks around there, being in such good shape like that and all, huh!)

LOL

The folks in West Virginia may be very disappointed that they supported trump in a big way. Because with the Medicaid and food stamp rollbacks planned they will be greatly affected.

According to Kaiser statistics they have the highest share of any population on Medicaid, approximately 29%. And West Virginia's 4th in food stamp consumption in the United States. With an unbelievable whopping 53% of all children in the state covered by Medicaid.

So it looks as though this is a much troubled state with health and food issues.

It'll be interesting to see if they're still supporting trump after he rolls back some of these Federal benefits.

Btw ham...betcha you're not in as good a shape as THIS ol' ex-California boy HERE, dude!

'Cause yep, EVEN at 65, I can STILL cover a hell of lot of that ol' tennis court here in beautiful picturesque Sedona Arizona, dude!

Okay, actually I play tennis down in Cottonwood AZ about 25 miles down the hill from here, and where we almost always play under glorious clear blue western skies(uh-huh, kind'a like that announcer used to say at the beginning of "Sky King" every week) and all year long...outdoors.

(...and thus COULD be the very reason that even at 65, this here 6'2'' fella here still weighs in at a svelte 185lbs) 

Btw ham...betcha you're not in as good a shape as THIS ol' ex-California boy HERE, dude!

'Cause yep, EVEN at 65, I can STILL cover a hell of lot of that ol' tennis court here in beautiful picturesque Sedona Arizona, dude!

Okay, actually I play tennis down in Cottonwood AZ about 25 miles down the hill from here, and where we almost always play under glorious clear blue western skies(uh-huh, kind'a like that announcer used to say at the beginning of "Sky King" every week) and all year long...outdoors.

(...and thus COULD be the very reason that even at 65, this here 6'2'' fella here still weighs in at a svelte 185lbs)

Does it encourage you to stay in shape by playing tennis with Sky King's cute little niece Penny?

The folks in West Virginia may be very disappointed that they supported trump in a big way. Because with the Medicaid and food stamp rollbacks planned they will be greatly affected.

According to Kaiser statistics they have the highest share of any population on Medicaid, approximately 29%. And West Virginia's 4th in food stamp consumption in the United States. With an unbelievable whopping 53% of all children in the state covered by Medicaid.

So it looks as though this is a much troubled state with health and food issues.

It'll be interesting to see if they're still supporting trump after he rolls back some of these Federal benefits.

Now c'mon here, Princess. Did you HAVE to bring up THAT freakin' moron's name in this thread???

(...'cause I was havin' SO much damn fun here not ONLY makin' fun of backwater states containing people doin' their damndest to fight off the boredom they surely must face living there on a daily basis, but ALSO braggin' about what good shape I'm in for such an old f-a-r-t TOO!!!)

LOL 

;)

Does it encourage you to stay in shape by playing tennis with Sky King's cute little niece Penny?

;)

Sorry Princess, but...

Gloria Winters

Gloria_Winters_Penny_Sky_King_1952.JPG

Born in "Los Angle-us", as they used to call it, CA, November 28, 1931---Died in Vista CA, August 14, 2010.

(...and so the answer to your question is: no, never played tennis with that little cutie)

;)

• Like 1

Just watching local coverage of the fires.  Two dozen fires burning, 23 dead, many missing, 3500

houses and buildings burned, thousands evacuated and in shelters, animals displaced or in shelters, dangerous air quality, exhausted firefighters.  A man was kneeling in the rubble of his property wondering how he would tell his children their house is gone.  The worry is that the fires will converge and that could be catastrophic.  At least the winds have died down a bit, good news for now.

• Like 1

An 80 year old B&W photo proves what point? 

Californians shouldn't be concerned about water management for what little there is?

Yeah, sorry, I guess I should've posted a more current picture of West Virginia, huh.

Saaaay, I've got IT. How about one which would've showcased some of the many prosperous people who reside in that lovely state of yours?

(...not that money is EVERYTHING, of course)

Yep, and the very reason people shouldn't have ever moved west, but should have stayed in garden spots like West Virginia here...

6664021505_9f502b8c9e_z.jpg

LOL

YEAH! Now THERE ya go!

Yep, I gotta admit that scenic picture of good ol' West Virginy there sure does make it look like heaven on earth, huh.

Don't know if I would've posted that picture though. Once people see how beautiful you have it there, you could have a whole mess o' folks movin' in around ya.

Uh-huh...just like what happened to us native Californians.

Say, and speakin' o' which. Lemme show you some scenic pictures of THAT state while we're at it here, and seein' as how you posted that one of WV...

bigstock-Malibu-Lagoon-State-Beach-in-M-

Yosemite_Valley.jpg

Big_Sur_June_20081.jpg

(...and well, I suppose I COULD go on and post a whole lot of other scenic pictures of that state, but I wouldn't wanna overdo it now, now would I)