Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recently Watched Horror


Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, jaragon said:

"Don't Go In the Woods...Alone!" (1981) may be the most inept slasher ever made.  One is never sure if this is suppose to be a comedy or just bad film making.  A group of obnoxious hikers wonder around a forest getting slaughtered by some deranged mountain man.   There is no story so we never know why the killings are taking place.  The movies has plenty of bloody death scenes but they are thrown in with out reason.  There are a lot of intentional funny scenes- a woman walking around a house coat in the forest but others are of questionable taste like a poor guy hiking in his wheelchair .  The film has been given up a first rate blu ray treatment by Vinegar Syndrome. The print has some stunning Utah locations which could have been put to a better use.  The movie has an annoying musical score which is more reason to scream than any thing on screen.

 

I rented the VHS a long time ago. The only part I remember is that we didn't finish watching the movie because we thought it was so bad. I might watch it again, but only if it's for free.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Arsan404 said:

I rented the VHS a long time ago. The only part I remember is that we didn't finish watching the movie because we thought it was so bad. I might watch it again, but only if it's for free.

The movie is truly inept- in almost every way acting, directing, writing. but once in a while you get a moment that works- or a stunning shot of the Utah scenery.   You can watch it for free on You  Tube.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

"The Girl and the Monster" (1941) this one is a really strange low budget film from Paramount which seemed inspired by the Val Lewton productions at RKO.   The story stars off as court room melodrama. Scott ( Philip Terry) is on trial for shooting a gangster- but in one of several flashbacks we can see that he was framed.   He was defending the honor of his sister Susan (Ellen Drew) who had been tricked into becoming a prostitute.  Scott is found guilty and sentenced to death and now the film becomes a mad scientist movie. Dr Perry (George Zucco )convinces Scott to let him transplant his brain into  a gorilla (because this is somehow going to help humanity?!) Scott laughs at the thought but agrees anyway. The censors were not happy with the white slavery angle and it was cut but it's obvious what poor Susan is forced to do.   There is also a subtle gay angle between big city gangster Bruhl (Paul Lukas) and one of his henchmen who he refers to as " his favorite thorn" .   The movie has one very effective Lewtonesque scene  in which the ape stalks one of his victims with the aid of Skippy the dog.   The film is out on an excellent blu ray the Universal Horror collection from Shout /Scream factory

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

220px-Demon_2015_poster.jpg

Demon. 2015. Poland. Directed by Marcin Wrona. With Itay Tiran, Agnieszka Zuliewska, and Andrzej Grabowski.

A bridegroom is possessed by a spirit during his wedding celebration. The doctor and the priest are unable to help the young man, and the father-in-law tries desperately to keep the party going on.

It is refreshing to watch a modern horror movie without noisy jump scares. Demon is a clever movie with comedy and some absurd scenes mixed with atmospheric horror, greatly helped with a crisp photography.

uOn8smYZPRiyFH9def5s2Sj0kI2fntocPRCzBLeV

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

"Jaws of Satan" (1982) original title "King Cobra" this one is a bizarre mix of creatures of on the rampage genre and  the supernatural.  A small town is terrorized by snake attacks .  Father Tom (Fritz Weaver) is a priest who believes  the satanic cobra is after him.  Norman Lloyd is wasted in a small role.  You can get in on  blu ray but there  is good print on You Tube.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Possum (2018)

This is the directorial debut of Matthew Holness (of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace fame) and I was impressed with it. It's a solid piece of British folk horror. Holness draws heavy inspiration from German Expressionism, as he utilizes brown and yellow color palettes and emphasizes visual storytelling. It's available on Amazon Prime if you're in the mood for some creepy imagery.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tentacles (1977) Another ersatz Jaws ripoff from the 1970s. This one is about a giant octopus terrorizing a coastal resort.  To be fair, there are some good scenes, the best one involving a woman stranded on her boat as the octopus hungrily stalked her from below.  Of course, any movie set in the ocean has a built-in scare factor, because the ocean itself is a foreboding place.  The new-age/prog rock music was certainly original for a horror movie, but I found it distracting and not enhancing the mood. The special effects are rather pedestrian, and the cast, which includes Henry Fonda, John Huston and Shelley Winters seem to be afflicted with inertia. They must have known this would not be one of their career hallmarks. Bo Hopkins playing a marine biologist was the only one generating some spark.

 

  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

Tentacles (1977) Another ersatz Jaws ripoff from the 1970s. This one is about a giant octopus terrorizing a coastal resort.  To be fair, there are some good scenes, the best one involving a woman stranded on her boat as the octopus hungrily stalked her from below.  Of course, any movie set in the ocean has a built-in scare factor, because the ocean itself is a foreboding place.  The new-age/prog rock music was certainly original for a horror movie, but I found it distracting and not enhancing the mood. The special effects are rather pedestrian, and the cast, which includes Henry Fonda, John Huston and Shelley Winters seem to be afflicted with inertia. They must have known this would not be one of their career hallmarks. Bo Hopkins playing a marine biologist was the only one generating some spark.

 

  

I actually saw this in the theater at it was pretty bad- and it waste what is potentially a great monster

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

Tentacles (1977) Another ersatz Jaws ripoff from the 1970s. This one is about a giant octopus terrorizing a coastal resort.  To be fair, there are some good scenes, the best one involving a woman stranded on her boat as the octopus hungrily stalked her from below.  Of course, any movie set in the ocean has a built-in scare factor, because the ocean itself is a foreboding place.  The new-age/prog rock music was certainly original for a horror movie, but I found it distracting and not enhancing the mood. The special effects are rather pedestrian, and the cast, which includes Henry Fonda, John Huston and Shelley Winters seem to be afflicted with inertia. They must have known this would not be one of their career hallmarks. Bo Hopkins playing a marine biologist was the only one generating some spark.

 

  

I'm a fan of those '70s eco-horror films, though I still need to watch this one. Even the blatant Jaws ripoffs like Orca: The Killer Whale (1977) can be pretty fun. My favorite from that period is Frogs (1972), which has one of my favorite movie posters of all time.

Frogs (1972) - IMDb

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2020 at 12:33 PM, Lemon-Shaped Rock said:

I'm a fan of those '70s eco-horror films, though I still need to watch this one. Even the blatant Jaws ripoffs like Orca: The Killer Whale (1977) can be pretty fun. My favorite from that period is Frogs (1972), which has one of my favorite movie posters of all time.

Frogs (1972) - IMDb

I was hiking in upstate New York this weekend and found a pond filled with frogs- they seemed pretty harmless until one pounced on a worm and practically swallowed it whole!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

"Monday at 11:01 A. M" (2016) Michael ( Charles Agron) and Olivia (Brianna Evigan) his girlfriend end spending the night  at mysterious fancy hotel in the middle of nowhere but no matter how much it tried to copy Stephen King this is not "The Shining".   There is Sam Clark a handsome young bellhop that warns them not too go outside because of "the bears".  Lancer Henrikson is a sinister bart tender . And  what are those  hooded druids up to?   The obnoxious Agron who wrote and produced the movie seems to be channeling Jack Nicholson but he lacks the talent. The film might have worked as half hour "Twilight Zone" but the various scares are too familiar. You can see it on Amazon Prime.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Blob (1958)

I'm a fan of kitschy '50s science fiction films though I had never seen this one until last night. I unfortunately didn't care for it. The scenes with the alien are fun, though they are scarcely scattered throughout a narrative that really wants to be Rebel Without a Cause. Even the presence of Steve McQueen didn't do much for me.

I'll stick with I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lemon-Shaped Rock said:

The Blob (1958)

I'm a fan of kitschy '50s science fiction films though I had never seen this one until last night. I unfortunately didn't care for it. The scenes with the alien are fun, though they are scarcely scattered throughout a narrative that really wants to be Rebel Without a Cause. Even the presence of Steve McQueen didn't do much for me.

I'll stick with I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958)

This one terrified me when I was a kid- but it has not aged well even with Steve McQueen as the "teenage" hero.   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I recently watched Wolfen.  Not as good as the book, but good cast.  (Don't know if I posted before.)

Yeah that's kind of dissapointing

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chaya bat woof woof said:

I recently watched Wolfen.  Not as good as the book, but good cast.  (Don't know if I posted before.)

I liked Wolfen, and I would like to see it again. I'ts been a long time. I thought it is an interesting take on werewolves and crime.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

"Chopping Mall"(1985) a fun sci-fi horror movie about a group of young people trapped in a mall patrolled by out of control robot guards.  The movie is available on a really good DVD  which has some cool extras 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020)

I fully knew what to expect heading into this film. With Charlie Kaufman at the helm, I certainly expected a thematically dense, meta narrative, for better or worse.  And even though I'm not as big of a Kaufman fan as I once was, I still enjoy films like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004) and Being John Malkovich (1999), even though they definitely deserve the "pretentious elitism" label often thrown at them. 

But even though I knew what I was getting myself into, I still wound up hating this film. It's pretentious even by Kaufman's standards. While the first half is somewhat engaging, the last hour completely goes off the rails  and the end result is a thematically disjointed mess. There are points where the film becomes so self-referential that some scenes felt more like parodies of arthouse cinema. Throughout the entire final act I was just waiting for it to be over.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

"Blood Hook" (1986) made in Wisconsin regional horror about a deranged fisherman using a hook to kill his victims.  The movie was barely released by Troma now has been given a deluxe blu ray treatment . It has some gory bits and lot of unintentional laughs

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Wind (2018) Well-executed story about a woman haunted by demons. Or is her imagination, fertilized by cabin fever, running the show?  The Wind has a classic setting: the nineteenth century, in an isolated prairie town, the events unfolding in the backdrop of the ominous, wide-open West. What’s a horror movie without a preacher? Well, The Wind has one, and it makes for one of the best scenes.  I liked the minimalist  production, and the use of space.  The two women at the center give good performances, and some fun is had at the male chauvinistic view of female hysteria and pregnancy. The music doesn’t overdo it, kicking in at just the right time. Shades of The Witch, from 2015, are found in the effective use of farm animals.

Emma Tammi, who directed, shows a solid grasp of the genre. Toward the end, the filmmakers resort to horror cliches. And the movie may have benefited from a clever, closing twist. But, if you’re in the mood for some slow burn dread, The Wind provides the chill factor.     

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

"The Majorettes" (1987) also released as "One By One".   This starts off as the usual slasher with high school cheerleaders as the main target- the script by John Russo based on his novel throws in other elements including a crazy nurse, red neck bad guys and plenty of young female bodies on display. The most surprising part of the movie is when Kevin Kindlin who plays the jock hero takes off his shirt and turns into a Rambo like avenger. You can see it on Amazon or on You Tube

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Stuff (1985)

I'm a fan of both body horror and Larry Cohen (specifically his 1970s output) so I was intrigued by this one. I had always heard is was a fun horror/comedy that satirized the abundant consumerism in 1980s America. Although it has some fun parts (the scenes with Garrett Morris are pretty entertaining), there wasn't much else I enjoyed. The latter half grew a bit stale, particularly when the military characters show up. Some decent gross-out effects, though I'll stick with Cronenberg or Stuart Gordon if I'm in the mood for body horror.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2020 at 1:22 PM, Lemon-Shaped Rock said:

The Stuff (1985)

I'm a fan of both body horror and Larry Cohen (specifically his 1970s output) so I was intrigued by this one. I had always heard is was a fun horror/comedy that satirized the abundant consumerism in 1980s America. Although it has some fun parts (the scenes with Garrett Morris are pretty entertaining), there wasn't much else I enjoyed. The latter half grew a bit stale, particularly when the military characters show up. Some decent gross-out effects, though I'll stick with Cronenberg or Stuart Gordon if I'm in the mood for body horror.

Yeah I know what you mean it's starts off really good

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2020 at 6:05 PM, jaragon said:

Yeah I know what you mean it's starts off really good

The first half was fairly entertaining, particularly in how it poked fun at the ideal Reaganite nuclear family that was so heavily promoted in the 1980s, but the latter half quickly became banal. Cohen often had interesting ideas, though the execution didn't always work out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...