Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recently Watched Horror

1 hour ago, Lemon-Shaped Rock said:

The first half was fairly entertaining, particularly in how it poked fun at the ideal Reaganite nuclear family that was so heavily promoted in the 1980s, but the latter half quickly became banal. Cohen often had interesting ideas, though the execution didn't always work out.

Yes I agree or his film like "God Told Me To" were too ambitious for his low budgets.

• Like 1

"Dr Jeckyll and the Wolfman" (1972) Paul Naschy continues his Valdeman Danisnky saga - this time the Wolf Man hopes to find a cure for his lycanthropy  by consulting the great grandson of the infamous Dr Jeckyll- this of course is not a good idea. If you are expecting Mr Hyde and the Wolf Man to go mano and mano the movie does not go in that direction. This is well crafted Naschy production with plenty of classic Universal  horror atmosphere . You can watch it for free in a decent print on You Tube which for some reason deletes this opening credit sequence. On you Tube the film is dubbed into English.  This is not a trailer but the opening credit sequence.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy Death Day (2017) Inventive and clever take on the slasher movie. This could easily have been another tired Scream knockoff. Instead, it’s funny and witty, and Jessica Rothe makes for a likeable heroine we can root for, even if her character isn’t very likeable.  Rothe plays Tree, who keeps reliving the day she was murdered.  Every attempt to change her fate backfires.  The supernatural catalyst is a small, spooky toy that plays the Happy Birthday jingle.  I loved the mask the killer wears.  Happy Death Day also pokes fun at sorority life tyranny and campus politics.  It’s topped off by a very satisfying ending.

"Ghost House" (1988) Italian made rip off of  "Poltergeist" about the usual group of young people investigating paranormal events and getting killed instead. The main culprit seem to be an overgrown little girl and her sinister clown doll.  The death scenes are pretty dull for Euro horror.  It will make you very very sleepy- out on Blu Ray from Scream Factory or better yet watch it on You Tube

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The Unknown (1927), dir. Tod Browning

I had always read about this one and finally checked it out on the Criterion Channel. It definitely deserves all of the praise it's received. It's one of the most provocative films I've seen in a while. Lon Chaney plays Alonzo the Armless, a circus performer with a knack for throwing knives with his feet, who seeks to win the affection of Nanon (Joan Crawford), a fellow performer. However, Nanon also catches the attention of Malabar the Mighty (Norman Kerry), the circus strongman, and what ensues is a twisted, ultimately violent love triangle.

This film is certainly an excellent representation of the post-WWI body anxieties prevalent in America during that period. The Unknown carries many thematic similarities to Browning's later masterpiece, Freaks (1932), one of my all-time favorites.

• Like 2

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994) - Amazon Prime

w/ Robert De Niro, Kenneth Branagh, Tom Hulce, Helena Bonham Carter, Aidan Quinn, Ian Holm, Richard Briers, John Cleese (fantastic as Professor Waldman), Robert Hardy and Cherie Lunghi. And directed by Kenneth Branagh.

It's October. Always a good month to catch up on some horror movies. Although I'm tempted to classify this movie as more of a melodrama. Probably due to the fact that, even though this one is not a literal adaption of the original novel (which I have read), it is still close enough for government work.

• Like 2

Frankenstein (1910) - Amazon Prime

w/ Augustus Phillips as Victor Frankenstein, Charles Ogle as The Monster (and as his own makeup man) and Mary Fuller as Elizabeth. Produced by Thomas Edison. And written and directed by J. Searle Dawley.

Going with another adaptation of Frankenstein for my second horror movie for the month. Although it is odd to use the word movie for something that is less than 15 minutes in length. But that's the way it was 100+ years ago. And it is also odd to use the word horror because in this less than Cliff's Notes version of Mary Shelley's novel, anything remotely scary has been excised. But the creation scene is imaginative (with a cue card of "It's Alive! It's Alive!" which can't be read in anything other than the voice of Colin Clive) and it has a look for the monster that can't help but remind me of Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974).

• Like 2
On 10/15/2020 at 9:45 PM, LiamCasey said:

Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994) - Amazon Prime

w/ Robert De Niro, Kenneth Branagh, Tom Hulce, Helena Bonham Carter, Aidan Quinn, Ian Holm, Richard Briers, John Cleese (fantastic as Professor Waldman), Robert Hardy and Cherie Lunghi. And directed by Kenneth Branagh.

It's October. Always a good month to catch up on some horror movies. Although I'm tempted to classify this movie as more of a melodrama. Probably due to the fact that, even though this one is not a literal adaption of the original novel (which I have read), it is still close enough for government work.

This is one of those movies were all the elements are so right you wish it was better

• Like 1

Ginger Snaps (2000) The recipe for the werewolf sub-genre is spiced up with a few additional ingredients: teen comedy, coming-of age story, and the curse of being outcast girls in high school. The curse is courtesy of a lycanthrope bite. But the film also has some fun with the onset of menstruation. Ginger and her younger sister Brigitte are death-obsessed goths, who like photographing themselves in gruesome reenactments: impaling, hangings, etc. Unfortunately, there is real death occurring in their small town, by an unidentified animal blamed for killing pet dogs. This setup works fine for most of the movie. Credit that  to the performances of Emily Perkins as the sweet but tough Brigitte, and Katharine Isabelle as her wild sister Ginger.  A handsome bad boy pot dealer, who forms an unlikely bond with Brigitte, brings out jealousy in the “popular” girls. Lest you think we’re taking a turn at the John Hughes exit, the wicked black comedy sensibility of Ginger Snaps obliterates that notion. Also with Mimi Rogers, hilarious as Ginger and Brigitte’s well-meaning but clueless mother.   In fact, most of the adults are so out of touch it’s as if they time-leaped from the 1950s to the new millennium.  As for that werewolf, it doesn’t make a full appearance until late.  It’s not the best werewolf I’ve seen, at least compared to Silver Bullet, The Howling, and An American Werewolf in London. But, if you have a soft spot for werewolves, like I do,  Ginger Snaps is worth checking out.    

• Like 2

Coppolla's "Bram Stoker's Dracula" (1992) the movie invents the romance between Mina and Dracula which is not in the book- but I love the sumptuous look of the film and how much fun Coppola seems to be having with retro movie effects

• Like 1
On 10/25/2020 at 11:45 AM, cinemaspeak59 said:

Ginger Snaps (2000) The recipe for the werewolf sub-genre is spiced up with a few additional ingredients: teen comedy, coming-of age story, and the curse of being outcast girls in high school. The curse is courtesy of a lycanthrope bite. But the film also has some fun with the onset of menstruation. Ginger and her younger sister Brigitte are death-obsessed goths, who like photographing themselves in gruesome reenactments: impaling, hangings, etc. Unfortunately, there is real death occurring in their small town, by an unidentified animal blamed for killing pet dogs. This setup works fine for most of the movie. Credit that  to the performances of Emily Perkins as the sweet but tough Brigitte, and Katharine Isabelle as her wild sister Ginger.  A handsome bad boy pot dealer, who forms an unlikely bond with Brigitte, brings out jealousy in the “popular” girls. Lest you think we’re taking a turn at the John Hughes exit, the wicked black comedy sensibility of Ginger Snaps obliterates that notion. Also with Mimi Rogers, hilarious as Ginger and Brigitte’s well-meaning but clueless mother.   In fact, most of the adults are so out of touch it’s as if they time-leaped from the 1950s to the new millennium.  As for that werewolf, it doesn’t make a full appearance until late.  It’s not the best werewolf I’ve seen, at least compared to Silver Bullet, The Howling, and An American Werewolf in London. But, if you have a soft spot for werewolves, like I do,  Ginger Snaps is worth checking out.    

Love this one. Great take on the monstrous feminine. It's an especially excellent watch during October!

• Like 1